Safety profile of hair loss treatment, Minoxidil?

Of course it can impact testosterone levels, it's inhibiting testosterone breakdown. This can lead to reduced androgen receptor activation (as DHT is a more potent androgen), and also to increased estradiol levels. Reduced allopregnanolone levels might explain some of the negative reactions to finasteride, but other individuals might be reacting to increased estradiol or insufficient androgen receptor activation.

Although the point I was making with the study I linked is that most of the sexual side-effects from finasteride seem to be due to a baseline testosterone deficiency, since the study showed that testosterone in the absence of DHT was sufficient to maintain sexual function.

I guess everyone has to weigh the cost and benefit, but for most people losing hair is psychologically traumatizing in and of itself. I've personally had no negative side-effects from finasteride, but one person's experience is meaningless for a drug with over 8 million prescriptions in the USA alone. Ofc finasteride might produce adverse side-effects in a small subset of the population, but that's no different than any other drug really, so I don't understand the cultish fear mongering when it comes to finasteride. And these people would have the population at large replace it with what? Oral minoxidil and its association with cardiovascular abnormalities?

Okay, thank you for that. I wasn’t aware of the number of those affected. To be honest, my frustration is more with some researchers rather than just with medications or pharmaceutical companies. I think it is very unlikely that the post finasteride syndrome is caused by permanent brain damage despite the effects possibly lasting for decades. Instead, it is probably The case that 5Alpha reductase inhibition and the resulting decreased neurosteroid synthesis could knock brain circuits out of balance. this is similar to what is theorised about the post-SSRI syndrome. medical research needs to focus on understanding the exact mechanisms for these phenomena, after which they could probably be easily reversed. I did however, find some quite worrying information about finasteride in an article which claimed it had antipsychotic and other anti-dopaminergic properties including a very strong suppression of dopamine D1 receptor-mediated behaviours.

I've read using hair dye can actually damage hair follicles and cause thinning and/or hair loss.

Looking into this more:

Last edited:

Two doctors claiming this is less probable however.

Last edited:
Great informative clip here on the actual physiology causing hair loss:

Who would have thought?

Sometimes when I'm doing derma-rolling/micro-needling on my scalp, it feels like I'm potentially breaking up "fibrosis".

Last edited:
EOs are volatiles, mostly terpenes (about 90%). They absorb or evaporate rapidly on contact with body heat -- mostly absorbed. Terpenes are a transdermal delivery system in pharmacy. EOs have to be combined with waxes or other fats (think lip balms) in order to be retained for long periods, otherwise they disappear. If the EOs are very high quality, then there should be no residue.

Pure EOs are highly unlikely to clog pores. If anything, they will cause dermal irritation as they burn or penetrate the skin barrier, triggering immune responses. Peppermint and rosemary are relatively gentle compared to say, thyme or tea tree.

Funny you mention Nioxin, that's the shampoo I use! Nioxin 2. Wish I knew about it years ago, I only discovered it relatively recently. It makes things simpler.

I transfer some Nioxin from the huge bottle into a smaller bottle, to which I add caffeine, the EOs, and the other ingredients I mentioned above.

I was using the EOs on their own already, and they helped. An old folk remedy is to put the EOs into vodka and dab or spray over the thinning area, so I started with that. Then I just used a 50/50 blend of neat rosemary and peppermint, right on the scalp, and I could tolerate it (which is a feat, given how sensitive I am). Usually within 20-30 mins, I can feel the EOs in my face, I can smell them in my sinuses, etc. So they do absorb.

Then I was looking at combining aspirin, caffeine, niacinamide, succinic acid, and the EOs into ethanol/water to make a spray for hair loss, but in my research I stumbled across Nioxin and decided to use that as the base instead. I dissolve the caffeine and succinic acid into warmed apple cider vinegar and then add it directly into the Nioxin, give the bottle a shake, and call it a day. Nioxin already has aspirin and niacinamide in it, which saved me some effort. I add apple cider vinegar because that was in a hair loss shampoo I used a long time ago (at great expense) and I found that formulation also helpful. The ACV cuts excess oil on the scalp and it has a PH balancing quality that prevents fungus. (I still use ketoconazole too though.) In the future, I may add saw palmetto, but I don't want to suppress DHT too hardcore because I start to feel like shit.

Ditto. I was not willing to wait any longer to see if they got better. It was ruining my life and I felt like I had been poisoned. I felt so depressed and psychologically messed up.

There are less than 1500 people in that group, so that's a very small sample size. I'm not saying Minoxidil can't produce intolerable side effects, but it's far less likely at the lower doses. I misspoke earlier, I'm not taking 2.5mg/day, I'm taking 1.25mg/day. I take the 2.5mg pills and halve them. Like you, I'm super sensitive and avoid pharma whenever possible, but I don't seem to have bad effects from these pills. Again, ask me in a year.

I don't like taking oral Minoxidil, but there do not seem to be many good options for male pattern baldness. I tried a lot of other things before landing my current successful protocol. In the years of time I wasted, I permanently lost hair on my crown. I've saved the rest of my hair, but that bald spot will require a hair transplant, which I'm not willing to do because it's invasive and barbaric. One day I'll just stop all this and let my hair fall out, I think... but not for years to come. I am still too young. I've shaved my head before and I look good bald, but I'm still attached to my hair.

I've started using caffeinated shampoo based on this. I just use it to de-grease prior to using Nioxin shampoo (I used to use head and shoulders for this).

It's one additional component that feels like it may well have some kind of merit to it so I figure why not?

I had started with Apple Cider Vinegar prior, can't hurt I guess.

Saw a couple other video recommending leaching the nutrients from Rosemary and Cloves and making a water spray for the scalp using them.
So did that also (very straight forward).

There's other ingredients that can be used for this also like, some kind of green tea and hibiscus dried leaves?

Going to try them also as I figure, why not?

I've started using caffeinated shampoo based on this. I just use it to de-grease prior to using Nioxin shampoo (I used to use head and shoulders for this).

It's one additional component that feels like it may well have some kind of merit to it so I figure why not?

I had started with Apple Cider Vinegar prior, can't hurt I guess.

Saw a couple other video recommending leaching the nutrients from Rosemary and Cloves and making a water spray for the scalp using them.
So did that also (very straight forward).

There's other ingredients that can be used for this also like, some kind of green tea and hibiscus dried leaves?

Going to try them also as I figure, why not?

Would love to hear an update at some point!

Accepting baldness is part of aging with grace.
Not accepting it is anti-wisdom / anti-growth.

It's sad to see men so insecure about their natural hairline, like old (80 plus) women who still wear inch thick make-up.

Confidence is sexy.

We should all be preparing for death, not running full speed away from it.

I love myself, wrinkles and all.
I'm not scared of my reflection.
I don't need to wear a mask.

Hair is meaningless.

One of the issues that led to hair thinning in my case, was using oil, which ultimately clogged the follicles and thinned the hair.

Back on clarifying shampoo, the shedding has stopped and hopefully it will thicken up again.

BUT, I used oils initially, cause it gave that awesome wet look:

This video kind of explains the actual physiology of hair, how to get that wet look through hair health, versus saturating it with oil.

First consideration:

The top 10 most commonly reported adverse events among female and male alopecia patients using finasteride or minoxidil
��
Female​
Male​
Female​
Male​
Rank​
Finasteride​
Minoxidil​
1​
Abortion Induced​
Erectile Dysfunction​
Swelling Face​
Erectile Dysfunction​
2​
Abortion Spontaneous​
Sexual Dysfunction​
Dermatitis Contact​
Depression​
3​
Paternal Drugs Affecting Fetus​
Depression​
Arthralgia​
Dizziness​
4​
Uterine Cervix Stenosis​
Anxiety​
Palpitations​
Anxiety​
5​
Menstruation Irregular​
Cognitive Disorder​
Dizziness​
Libido Decreased​
6​
Menorrhagia​
Libido Decreased​
Nausea​
Hypoesthesia​
7​
Endometrial Hypertrophy​
Loss Of Libido​
Tachycardia​
Headache​
8​
Phalangeal Agenesis​
Fatigue​
Weight Increased​
Dermatitis Contact​
9​
Fatigue​
Semen Volume Decreased​
Visual Acuity Reduced​
Chorioretinopathy​
10​
Arthritis​
Ejaculation Disorder​
Pruritus​
Skin Disorder​

Damn, anxiety, depression, cognitive disorders.

I understand it essentially works as a vasodilator, but seems to carry some potentially intense side effects.

If it generates psychiatric sides, the assumption would be it readily cross the blood brain barrier?

Any experiences with topical minoxidil?
It works but like it just keeps the hair in the growth stage so it doesn’t necessarily cause new hair growth. So in a sense it will make your hair grow longer before falling out. It could cause hair growth but it is topically painful head ache wise, it was like hair was trying to poke through the skin all at once, I take some orally occasionally. You can buy the powder on eBay and it is soluble in water as minoxidil sulfate.

And neither does anti androgens like propecia, it could cause some hair growth if that’s the only issue by dht miniaturizes follicles, more than one hair is supposed to grow out of a hair follicle. Actual male pattern baldness and smooth bsld head does not exist. They chose to shave their heads or they were just birds as humans that didn’t have hair. No one actually had the trait for male pattern baldness no one’s genetics naturally change to lacking hair growth, it’s from steroids or infection or malnourishment, food even meat also lacks phosphorous that’s produced.

You gave to clean those hair follicles out of steroids and yeast, by doing oil pulling on the scalp which will pulls stuff out. Calcium might be up there as well or it’s just yeast from cheese and steroids, they even put actual dihydrotestosterone in food and supplements like creatine.

Sometimes real steroids like the real version of trenbolone, boldenone, and masteron actually caused scalp hair growth.

Minoxidil is actually this drug that can also make you like super strong if you take it and then try and life something heavy like a car. It can you superhuman strength and so can drugs like Lipitor. Atorvastatin.

Human growth hormone regrows hair and fixes skin issues if it’s real growth hormone, be aware when buying it online or even at pharmacies with a prescription. Even cvs had different brands that may be real or fake or different. They all love hairloss. It made them so much money, we were all using growth hormone for hairloss treatment in 2007 when they started banning it from existing. But I thought they all liked being parasites eating people or animals.

It usually took 5 to 30 days of using a vial (3.3mg, 10 iu) a day to regrow the whole scalp’s hair. It could take as long as 6 months but make sure it’s real. Or it’s a huge waste of money but may heal you up. Like it has to be 191 anmino acids in sequence.

Ive used fina.. I wouldnt recommend it. I had some pretty bad sides from it. It did make my hair thicker tho. Im on oral monxadil now 2.5mg and It works just as well but doesnt cause any of the sexual side effects fina caused.

Ive used fina.. I wouldnt recommend it. I had some pretty bad sides from it. It did make my hair thicker tho. Im on oral monxadil now 2.5mg and It works just as well but doesnt cause any of the sexual side effects fina caused.
Any other sides with oral minoxidil?

I've just start this daily topical 1ml treatment today.

We'll see.

I used Finasteride for 20 years from when it first came out.

I was going bald fast and I was young.

Finasteride made me stop going bald and my hair thick. It is amazing for hair loss.

Downsides-Couldn't get natural erections anymore, my cum went watery and I swear my dick even asked size.

If you choose to do it. Go no more than .5 mg a day or better still EOD.
I was on 1mg a day.

Learn from me.

Last edited:
I used Finasteride for 20 years from when it first came out.

I was going bald fast and I was young.

Finasteride made me stop going bald and my hair thick. It is amazing for hair loss.

Downsides-Couldn't get natural erections anymore, my cum went watery and I swear my dick even asked size.

If you choose to do it. Go no more than .5 mg a day or better still EOD.
I was on 1mg a day.

Learn from me.
You've stopped using it now?

Collagen pills or powder such as bovine or marine collagen are supposedly reputed to assist with hair growth?

There's some reports of adverse body effects though.

And a supplement called "Saw Palmetto"?

A natural hormone equalizer? (testosterone to DHT).

Experiences with either?