• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Safe to Sleep?

jinxconstantine

Greenlighter
SWIM used to use drugs intravenously, but had never tried heroin until yesterday. SWIM decided to do a bigger shot today to celebrate the end of the semester, and has been puking off and on for the past two hours and wants to sleep...is it safe to sleep or is there a risk of dying or something? :/

I apologize if this is a very ignorant or silly question, I just have no experience with h.

Last edited:
Hello. We don't use the phrase SWIM on this site, please read the forum guidelines before posting. I may close this after answering your question. Vomiting is a common symptom of doing herion coming from personal experience. If you aren't having any respiratory issues/chest pain or any type of other overdose symptoms, you should be okay to sleep. Drink water and just stay hydrated. If you have any benzodiazepines don't take any to relax you more. Promethazine is a great medicine for nausea and vomiting but I suggest letting off the heroin, drinking water and trying a light meal such as crackers, soup, bread. Throwing up stomach acid isn't fun. Please send an update before closing thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heroin is not a path you want to go down. People are cutting it with extreme additives these days, you could be getting dangerous doses of fentanyl as well. I almost lost my life last week because I sniffed a line of heroin, and I was also an addict for about 6/7 months a few years ago and quit cold turkey. It is not fun, vomiting is not fun. And you could easily OD. I did off of one line. Please stay away from heroin.

If you are EVER worried that you may have took too much of an opiate I'd advise not to go to sleep or nod off. I've been there many times, and even though I've never died or anything I've took way too much before to the point were it felt like I wasn't breathing. In cases like this, I'd encourage you to go for a walk until you start to sober up or do some other activity where you wouldn't fall asleep doing so. Better save than sorry. So please , do the best you can to stay awake.

i would check out kratom, at this point in the history of united states drug culture the heroin is now worse than cocaine in terms of inconsistent, dangerous, active cuts. i mean you could do subs or methadone but im a hippie at heart so i always felt like clinics could fuck off. kratom even feels great once your opiod receptors haven't been getting fistfucked by dope or opana for a good few months.

Someone gave bad advice to take benzos. Combining benzos and opiates makes death much more likely.

If you can keep yourself awake that's a good sign, because real high doses you don't have an option really, you will sleep even if you don't want to

But staying awake will help clean your system out a little faster and help bring you back to reality, and some activity can help to, so if you feel you are to far gone then that is usally a good course of action

And as others said if no other big symptoms and only some vomiting, you should be fine to sleep.

But you say you don't do H and did and now your sick, that happens all the time when your body isn't used to H. It will make you sick and vomit. It's trying to expel the poison, take it as a warning

Wrongguy I think it's interesting you refer to heroin as 'poison'. Let's see Poison.
noun
a substance that is capable of causing the illness or death of a living organism when introduced or absorbed.

I don't consider the effects of heroin to be synonymous with illness. Here's actually an interesting but lengthy essay on the complex number of reasons opioids cause nausea and vomiting early on in a person's use. http://apm.amegroups.com/article/view/1038/1264

Someone gave bad advice to take benzos. Combining benzos and opiates makes death much more likely.

Absolutely Cannablissss that is terrible advice, OP please disregard that for future reference as aforestated benzos and opiates are a recipe for overdose due to the potentiation of respiratory depression. TBH that really should not be something coming from a mod...

Also OP if you can update that you're okay that would be much appreciated

Actually for first time users, the majority of them (including me) experienced the effects of poison.... ie... I puked and felt nausea for a long while

I wish that would have deterred me, of course it did not ........now I would argue that posion point you made,...... although, anything that makes you feel like that either initially or after (in my mind is and and anyone who knows WD would agree ) is actually considered posion.... I can love some posion and do, that but that doesn't make it not actually posion

I love it all the same, no matter the results ( my personal failures ), but it still falls into your category at least the early stages for most , and late for forsure

And if you want to talk illness then either at beginning or end of long time
use you will will experience those illness effects, substitution excluded for sake of argument .....

Best not to sleep, but if you do lie down on your side, not your back and your body should wake you up before you vomit anyway. stay safe. :)

Wrongguy I think it's interesting you refer to heroin as 'poison'. Let's see Poison.
noun
a substance that is capable of causing the illness or death of a living organism when introduced or absorbed.

Of course it is a poison... it's right there in the name!
Detox - verb.
a process or period of time in which one abstains from or rids the body of toxic or unhealthy substances; detoxification.

"Toxin"/(Toxic) is a synonym for "poison".

Heroin... like alcohol, and Ajax, and battery acid are all poisons. They will also make you puke and will also kill you. One of them instantly. And another one of them you can wake up next to Lizzie Velasquez.

The term 'detoxification' used with respect to dealing with heroin addiction/dependence does not represent the actual process you go through. You go to a detox to get through withdrawal, symptoms of which are not a result of heroin poisoning but abrupt discontinuation of regular intake. Also, taking methadone or buprenorphine to ease withdrawal symptoms cannot be called detoxification from opioids as they are opioid agonists themselves. If anything could be used for detoxification from opioids, it is naloxone or the likes of it. Comparing it with consuming washing powder or lab chemicals is far-fetched at least and looks like a fallacy to me, the drug has its use in medicine even now, the fact that it is illegal in most countries neither makes it a whole lot more addictive than many pharmaceutical opioids nor less effective as a painkiller for pain that morphine or oxycodone is effective for.

The term 'detoxification' used with respect to dealing with heroin addiction/dependence does not represent the actual process you go through. You go to a detox to get through withdrawal, symptoms of which are not a result of heroin poisoning but abrupt discontinuation of regular intake.
If anything could be used for detoxification from opioids, it is naloxone or the likes of it.

Yes it is like this.
What is usually called 'detox' is in fact withdrawal process.
Detoxing is to stop the effects of the toxic/poison/drug. What we call " to be high" in medicine is an intoxication.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detoxification
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/detoxify