• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Russell Brand on Question Time

I post in a lot of forums and the last time I checked nolys was busy getting jacked and figuring out his cycle

news, documentaries and tv series is all i watch these days. decent box set series piss all over most things on the telly, dunno how people can watch soaps

more like I just have the same interests as a lot of the sub-forums and am cynical as fuck with no real thought or care of how I come across on bluelight

more like I just have the same interests as a lot of the sub-forums and am cynical as fuck with no real thought or care of how I come across on bluelight

You cried a couple of times in the lounge, I saw it, but it's nowt to be ashamed of. Caring is good, yo <3

didnt read the thread

but agree with OP that brand's fence sitting shows moral cowardice and weakens his position [ which in itself weak - treat addicts with compassion ? find a mainstream party that doesnt claim to adopt that position anyway ]

brand is a fucking cock with stupid hair but some respek for at least raising the issue

I really can't stand his voice or persona and can't reconcile either of them with him talking about serious matters even if I completely agree with him, I'm just allergic to the motherfucker.

His persona is just 'him,' and if you spend any time reading his first book or reading his back-catalogue of articles and guardian pieces, his private views become clear and I find him to be an affable and caring sort of person. I've never met him, but I choose to refrain from judging him based on a few faux-arrogant TV appearances and the many and varied mistakes he's made (as we all have). Nobody's perfect!

He's chosen to speak publicly about these matters because he wants to use his position in society, regardless of whether any of us believe it is earned or not, to help people that need it. Whether or not he will succeed is a valid question, whether or not his message is the best one is another, but I don't think it's worth debating his intent, as that is quite clear once you look past anything about his 'character' that you don't enjoy.

Also I disagree that his 'careful' attitude towards getting drawn into the debate about legalisation at this point is damaging to his moral credentials. What have we seen happen to every public figure that has offered a strident view about legalisation? Nutt is the perfect example. Being careful not to alienate the Conservative majority when it comes to drug law is a perfectly reasonable approach, if what you desire is change.

The 12 Step stuff is fukkin disgusting though. Truly is a dangerous religious cult and he's got it bad and wants to inflict it on everybody else :\

Sorry to be all "to the defence..." I certainly don't align with all of Brand's (occasionally vague and conflicted) views. However, as far as I have heard him speak on that matter, he actually recognises the dodgy nature of the 12 step hypothesis, whilst at the same time accepting that it worked for him. He's especially critical of the 'submission to a higher power' step...

Fuckin' weird to see someone of his flamboyant style on QT though hah!

Last edited:
His persona is just 'him,' and if you spend any time reading his first book or reading his back-catalogue of articles and guardian pieces, his private views become clear and I find him to be an affable and caring sort of person.

I see what you're saying but I have a limited amount of time on this planet and there are lots of books I want to read- I'm not going to go out of my way to get under his skin by reading his booky wooky or whatever it's called. I don't want to get to know him better, I'd like to get to know him less. He comes across to me as a prick and a user and I don't think my life will be any better for having lined his pockets to find out more about him. Also, the views to which you refer can't be that private if I can pick them up in national newspapers and his best-selling autobiography. :p

Sorry to be all "to the defence..." I certainly don't align with all of Brand's (occasionally vague and conflicted) views. However, as far as I have heard him speak on that matter, he actually recognises the dodgy nature of the 12 step hypothesis, whilst at the same time accepting that it worked for him. He's especially critical of the 'submission to a higher power' step...

Then why does he expend so much time and energy trying to convince the government to make "abstinence-only drug treatment" official policy thus foisting it on everybody whether it suits their needs or not?

As I've said several times now, I like the bloke - a lot - but he's so very wrong on this it cannot not be pointed out at every possible opportunity. He's just plain wrong. And if what you say is true he's also a hypocrite.

Why does using "big words" make somebody pretentious? Could it not just mean that they like words, have a good vocabulary and like to choose the best possible word to get their meaning across?

Maybe, but I still think he uses them as a trick to conquer arguments as you can't give a good reply if you aren't sure what the person is saying. This is very possibly just me as my vocabulary is piss poor.

It's definitely just you ;)<3

But I do get what you're saying. It can come over as self-indulgent, poncey and pretentious to use "big words" as a matter of course. It can also come across as just not being thick and actually caring about what you are saying ;)

If somebody can't argue their case cos somebody uses "big words" then they have no bizniz debating anyway. Or, at the very least, need to up their game or stick to putting the world to rights over a few pints.

i use big words wherever possible, dont give a fuck what people think, RAISE THE BAR, BITCHES.

i haven't heard brand using words other than 'innit and wot' etc

He does use some fukkin horrid yoofspeak I must admit. Calling David Dimbleby "mate" on QT did tickle me though :D

He's mostly stopped making up "cute" words like "booky-wooky" and stuff though. He uses plenty "big words". Uses 'em well too. If you can get past his persona and understand a word he says anyway (I do believe the Sep's in particular have some difficulty with that in ;)).