Running a drug lab in international waters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wungchow

Bluelighter
This is only hypothetical, I don't think this post falls under planning illegal activity.

I was wondering though, what's stopping someone from buying a large boat, building a chemistry lab inside, and then producing large quantities of drugs while anchored in remote areas away from law enforcement? The chemists could then deliver drugs to couriers on shore via "drop points" or small inflatable craft. The chemists could obtain necessary starting materials from more lenient countries while delivering finished drugs to countries with more strict controls on chemical precursors.

I wonder if any drug cartels have employed this strategy?

What's the point? Operating a clandestine lab isn't very dangerous in many countries, there are no drug enforcement resources. It's smuggling it into the rich customer nations that's dangerous.

Operating in international waters you never know what kind of pirates or military might sink you. You wouldn't have much legal recourse now would you?

if i was making drugs, i would not feel comfortable dropping off thousands of dollars worth of dope in the sea or on some uninhabited island waiting for it to be picked up by the courier. they are watching you know......they. them.

sounds like one of those ideas that sound good in theory but have way to many details to be practically used

the thought has crossed my mind pleanty of times. its been said already but 1 pirates and 2 military (think coastguard patrolling basically everywhere)

lol.. technically it would be legal. As long as you had a really big, well armed island.. it could happen. How do you get power 15 miles out at sea?

"i would not feel comfortable dropping off thousands of dollars worth of dope in the sea or on some uninhabited island waiting for it to be picked up by the courier."

This is exactly how cocaine was run into Miami. Because they knew the planes would get searched when they landed, they droped kilos in floating, water-proof bags that were picked up by a close following boat.

Cuz you need to come back to the US at one point or another for food and shit, and I gaurentee your boat would be searched. Just cook meth in your basement 8), oh ye what drug were you "hypothetically" going to make?

@saveyour: nice icon its doom from way back the computer game :D.

What about setting up a drug lab in the Arctic/Antarctica? No pirates there, haha.

I can't think of any specific drug that would benefit from this type of production. It is simply too cheap/easy to produce these drugs in third world countries.

One word.

Weather.

And there are international laws of the high seas. Where drugs are illegal as well.

NATO would be all over your ass so fast...

There are intrernational treaties concerning this stuff...

Still gotta get through as border/customs when you go back to shore. What's the point?

you'd have to travel back and forth between your home contry and the contry producing materials.

so, unless you're a billionaire, this isn't worth while.

Assuming he didn't carry drugs to shore with him, he couldn't be arrested for posession of a controlled substance?

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought I was in advanced drug discussion. My bad, I must have clicked on the new Pointless Hypothetical Drug Discussion forum.

someone like me, if they heard about it, would grab a nice group of former soldiers, and come grab all yo cash and drugs....aka, piracy.

^ lol.. i was thinking the exact same thing... rob his ass Somalia style.

Status
Not open for further replies.