• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Rules You Follow when Writing

My opinion, when writing, is just write.
Let it come from a place that isn't exactly "you".
Don't worry about punctuation and all of that until you have actually completed your masterpiece.

That is the joy in doing a rewrite... i've found myself lots of times while on a psy.
just holding a pen and writing and then re reading it and fixing it all up when i'm sober, and being left with like a few page masterpiece of some inexplicable proverb or idea.

I don't have a lot of writing rules, but I have a shit ton of pre-writing rules.

-Fill out my entire character info page
-Fill in at least 10 suveys as the character
-come up with 5 in-depth interview question for the character & anwser them
-chronicle the life of the character (every 2 years if under age 20, every 5 if over)
-break down the action that should occur in each act
-then break down the action that should occur in each scene

I love doing that sort of characterization work. ^^ :)
I sometimes pretend my characters are being interviewed as if they were hollywood stars and write out little scenes with what they would say. The role playing aspect of creating characters is one of the funnest parts. I think I did that for a month or more before I actually even started writing the book.

I do almost as much prewriting as I do writing. It's kind of ridiculous but I strongly believe you can't write a good play, short story, or novel without TONS of character work. My favorite thing these last couple years has been filling out surveys as my characters... generic ones and then ones that ask questions along the lines of "what is your biggest fear?" "how do you feel about your family" etc.

I think I did two months of outline & character work before I even started the full length I just finished my draft of... now the long long months of revision to look forward to. Writing is such the easy part. The rest is hard.

Oh yes it is. I'm right there too. But, when it all comes together it's so deliciously worth it.

Finding Forrester, anyone?...

Forrester: No thinking - that comes later. You must write your first draft with your heart. You rewrite with your head. The first key to writing is... to write, not to think!

But generally speaking, my rule of thumb is this: FUCK IT! Why stick to the confines of the ordinary when you can break all rules and be extraordinary. If it isn't hurting you or anyone else, why not do it? Worst case scenarios is it sucks, but get it down on paper or in your head anyway, and you can go back and work with it!!

i dont use any rules worth pointing out. my writing/art is limitless and shapeshifting and well, nothing will hold it back. i try to be original, satirical, passionate, visual, provocative... most if it is pretty non-sophisticated and in the freest form possible i would guess. at absolutely any given moment im now capable (after going to jail last yr) to put a pen to paper and a song/poem/etc will practically write itself. and more often than not, it turns out unusually interesting and collectively entertaining. keep in mind i mostly write poems and songs and prose. novels and short stories are included on my list of long term goals....

word is bond

Finding Forrester, anyone?...

Forrester: No thinking - that comes later. You must write your first draft with your heart. You rewrite with your head. The first key to writing is... to write, not to think!

But generally speaking, my rule of thumb is this: FUCK IT! Why stick to the confines of the ordinary when you can break all rules and be extraordinary. If it isn't hurting you or anyone else, why not do it? Worst case scenarios is it sucks, but get it down on paper or in your head anyway, and you can go back and work with it!!

Word.

I try to avoid using any conventional rules, let alone any rules at all.

Individual pieces need their own form of expression.

Puck the rules.

depends on the purpose and genre.
in general, if i'm trying to write poetry or prose poetry, if it doesn't make me feel i trash it or maybe set it aside and work on it later.

yes, because creativity in general,, is so powerful and deep, rules actually break it. the rules break themselves in the medium of the spiritual-creative mindset