• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Ritalin use/abuse-an American college issue?

davids

Bluelighter
"Why is Ritalin Being Abused?

Many times it’s the good students or at least the concerned students that buy this drug. Their reason, of course, is grades. Sadly, many of these students do not need the drug at all to get excellent grades, but they have convinced themselves that they can't focus and compete in the high-stress world of academia without it. Other teens that buy it illegally do it for the "high" or the sudden rush of energy and focus that they feel. Still others "get off" on the intense feeling of euphoria that comes from overuse. These reasons are outlined by the DEA, who recently put Ritalin on its list of "Drugs to Watch". The growth of Ritalin abuse has been associated with adolescents and young adults who use it for the stimulation for different reasons. These are some of the reasons why students abuse Ritalin: appetite suppression, wakefulness, and increased focus/attentiveness (for long nights of studying), and the "high".

These students take the tablets, crushing it into a fine powder and snorting it. This is why the illegal use of Ritalin is so dangerous. This drug was never intended to be used this way. Snorting this drug sends a sudden rush of the chemical into the central nervous system. The result can be stroke, seizures, and even psychosis. Heart arrhythmia is also associated with the illegal use of this drug due to the increased heart rate during use. Officials are not overly concerned because the drug was not concocted in a dark alley, but in professional drug labs. There is very little risk of it being laced with other dangerous chemicals or improperly made, but ultimately, the result of illegal use by snorting Ritalin can even be death.

Is this abuse only in U.S. schools, or is it worldwide?

No information from foreign health magazines or centers for disease control reports a problem with Ritalin abuse in any other countries. To date, it appears to only be U.S. high schools and colleges plagued with this prescription drug nightmare. To date, The BBC, an authority on most health issues in Europe has nothing about Ritalin abuse in its database, so we may conclude that it is not a problem anywhere but here in America".

Only people i've heard using adderall/ritalin in UK universitys obtained the from visiting US students! I dont think its as widely perscribed in the UK.

i'm writing my final anthropology paper on prescription drug abuse in elite boarding schools and colleges (in the US). i do think prescriptions are handed out relatively freely but it is better to make sure everyone who needs them gets them than to be too stingy. besides, i don't think the students in the US are complaining...

I just wrote up an article about this for my journalism unit.

Dexies seem pretty common for study cram sessions here in Australia.

ADD/HD Meds?

^Are yo scripted dexamphetamines 5mg tabs?-what dose?

I know that in WA Dex is rife.

Whats your experience?8)