• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Ring-substituted ketobemidine derivatives

AlsoTapered

Bluelighter
Otto Eisleb, the discover of pethidine went on to further develop the phenylpiperidine class of opioids. He developed MPPP, prodine and later ketobemidine.

Ketobemidine represents an almost unique compound having a meta phenolic group which substantially altered it's QSAR. Unlike pethidine derivatives, replacing the N-methyl with an N-phenylethyl resulted in ANTAGONIST activity. Unlike the prodine class, ring-substitution apparently resulted in ANTAGONIST activity.

But here is the thing. While he was able to resolve the cis and trans enantiomers, he wasn't able to resolve the (R) and (S) isomers. Later a group at Eli Lilly discovered picenadol and discovered that one of the trans-pair was an agonist while the other was an antagonist. The mixture proved to provide analgesic activity and it was a least trialled briefly but proved to be of no clinical value.

So I've drawn the isomers of picenadol, of alpha and beta prodine and of allylprodine.

What I'm interested in knowing is if people think that the reason that Eisleb only obtained antagonist activity from 3-methyl ketobemidone was because the antagonist enantiomer (overlays beta prodine) is more potent than the agoist enantiomer (overlays alpha prodine).

Now, as far as I can tell nobody has been able to find the reason why ALL the enantiomers of prodine produce agonist activity while apparently, some enantiomers of picenadol (and so maybe ketobemidine) are agonists while others are antagonists.

Even the latest explainations are vague. It has been conjectured that phenolic and non-phenolic opioids bind at different sites within the receptor domain and the 3-substituuents 'increase receptor recognition' which is SO meaningless.

I said ketobemidine was almost unique because bemidone AKA hydroxypethidine (the phenolic homologue of pethidine/ and is listed as being an agonist with a potency some x1.5 that of pethidine itself. In fact, PubChem suggests that the phenolic homologue of MPPP was prepared but doesn't appear to be mentioned in the reference provided.

My last question is, if allylprodine displays much higher activity because it bind to 'an extra amino acid residue' then will allylketobemidone see a similar increase in potency?

It's a question worth asking because Danish and Swedish papers equate 25mg of ketobemidone with 60mg of morphine. Now ketobemidone has a significantly lower MW than morphine so that difference is even more pronounced. MPPP has about 70% the potency of morphine so that allyl increase potency by over 32 times (more when MW is adjusted) to infer that the appropriate allylketobemidone might be x82 morphine... but it's kind of fun to wonder.

after all, the law is VERY clear. Ketobemidone is controlled but no ketobemidone derivatives are covered because it was presumed that they would all be antagonists.

BTW two points. the ketone can be substituted with an ethylsulfonate in the same manner as methadone (whose bioisostere is IC-26) & some references suggest that the N-1-(furan-2-yl) homologue of ketobemidone has analgesic activity x25 that of morphine. Well, apparently that's due to kappa activity so is unlikely to be practical with the severe side-effects kappa ligands produce.

It is the way of things that in science, when a question is no longer of financial value, it gets very hard to get funding. But the fact that N-methyl is IT is very confusing. The phenolic version of pethidine and MPPP are both agonists BUT like ketobemidone, ONLY the N-METHYL!

I realized the above might not be entirely clear so here.

So ester, reversed ester, ketone or ethansulfonate (or n-propylsulfonate) are all agonists. But add to the piperidine ring or replace the N-methyl with anything else and you have an ANTAGONIST.

Isn't it interesting that some of the simplest seeming opioids can actually have such a complex underlying set of rules? I am prepared to bet that the allyl side-chain (note - not the N-propyl, it has to have that alkene) is, in essence, behaving like PART of a benzene-ring. It has pi bonding and I believe that is what they mean when they state that it binds to an extra amino-acid residue.

BTW the n-propylsulfonate was equipotent as an analgesic BUT more toxic... and not in proportion to it's increased MW. I mean the LD50 halves. Now, explaining that little detail is just totally ignored.

BTW those ketobemidone derivatives I mentioned that are supposed to be x25M?

AT Patent 233006 'Verfahren zur Herstellung neuer Piperidinderivate'

Now the same N-substituent was placed on the levorphanol scaffold (the closest to ketobemidone IMO.

US Patent 3865943A 'Pharmaceutical compositions containing an n-(furyl-methyl)-3-oxy-morphinan and method of use'

And it opens with:

WHEREIN R is hydrogen, methyl or acetyl, and R1 is hydrogen, methyl or ethyl, OR A NON-TOXIC, PHARMACOLOGICALLY ACCEPTABLE ACID ADDITION SALT THEREOF; AND A METHOD OF USING THE SAME AS OPIATE ANTAGONISTS, NON-NARCOTIC ANALGESICS AND ANTITUSSIVES.

So I'm guessing it's a mixed agonist and/or a DOR.

To be honest, the SAR of opioids is where science gets into the realms of magic (some of it black magic IMO), it is so unashamedly complex. I mean, I can see the structure running through psychedelics, DRI/DRA etc, but opioids...

It's exasperating when their are holes in research that likely will never be filled.

I mistakenly said that Eisleb resolved the optical isomers when in fact he resolved the cis-pair and trans- pair, But the fact remains valid. No research was carried out on each of the four enantiomers.

I AM kind of surprised that nowhere can I find any statement to the effect of 'antagonist activity requires the presence of a phenol moiety or bioisostere thereof'.

So if nothing else, I have been able to add another (small) brick to the pyramid.

Sadly their is almost no new research into novel opioids. A Chinese team worked on a series of what they believed the be biased agonists which turned out merely to be low-efficacy ligands. Brorphine is an example of their work but although it's turned up in law enforcement literature of novel opioids, I can't actually find a single report on anyone having sampled it.

A US company, Trevena has been studying biased ligands and their have been small scale human trials.

I've noted that some compounds replace the A aromatic from a (substituted) benzene ring to a pyridine ring (propiram, propanamide olinceridine, doxpicomine and so on) that appear to display mixed agonist activity. The patents of each state that they are 'non-addictive' although I would suggest that animal models are not detailed and so it's not clear if they actually mean 'not dependence forming'.

I'm actually wondering if what people interpret as 'biased ligands' is actually just mixed agonism.