• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Rhodiola Rosea--Interactions and effects

Mycophile

Bluelighter
I'm interested in Rhodiola Rosea because I heard that it strengthens the adrenal glands and reduces cortisol which can help people to cut down on coffee by acting as a stimulant by itself and reducing the cortisol produced by caffeine so you can fall asleep easier at night.

I have also heard that it is good for anxiety, depression and gives endurance.

First of all I want to know: Has anyone here had positive effects from using Rhodiola Rosea and if so, what were they? Do you find you don't need to drink as much coffee when you use Rhodiola? Does it help with your anxiety?

Most of all though I want to know if it has any negative interactions with the following drugs...ESPECIALLY Lexapro since I take 40mgs of Lexapro everyday:

I have heard that Rhodiola is an MAOI and you are not supposed to mix SSRIs like Lexapro with MAOIs but some MAOIs are very weak so that this is not an issue.

Does anyone know if it is true that Rhodiola is an MAOI and if so, is it a weak enough MAOI that it would be safe to mix with Lexapro??

Here is the list of drugs which I would like to know whether or not Rhodiola has negative interactions with:

Lexapro
Klonopin
Kratom
Phenibut
L-Theanine
Alcohol
Allegra-D
Benadryl
Melatonin
Dexedrine
Normal vitamins like: Potassium, Magnessium, Vitamin B, Vitamin D, multi vitamins etc

Thanks

I don't know about it being an MAOI but MAOIs also interact with dexedrine, possibly leading to an elevated blood pressure and possible stroke.

I have never heard of this herb, or drug; but talk to your doctor that prescribes you the Lexapro about this, the questions you have, and if this herb or drug interacts with the other medications, vitamins, drugs, or supplements you take.

Do not take the herb, supplement, or drug until you do talk to a doctor or medical professional. You could just print out your post and take it with you.

I have never heard of this herb, or drug; but talk to your doctor that prescribes you the Lexapro about this, the questions you have, and if this herb or drug interacts with the other medications, vitamins, drugs, or supplements you take.

Do not take the herb, supplement, or drug until you do talk to a doctor or medical professional. You could just print out your post and take it with you.

I probably won't, but I want to see what people on here think.

While the line that you should always talk to your doctor before mixing drugs is a good one, in certain situations, like when using illegal drugs, I will usually not do so.

I know that we have doctor/patient confidentiality, but I'm not comfortable telling doctors I want to mix all sorts of illegal substances with the meds they prescribe me.

However, in this case Rhodiola isn't illegal, but nevertheless I'd like more opinions from people on here who know more about Rhodila or people who have combined it with an SSRI.

I'm still looking for more info on this, ESPECIALLY how it interacts with Lexapro and if it is safe to take on Lexapro/SSRIs.

im pretty sure there will be no interactions, it doesn't really have a strong drug-like effect

iv taken it before and i don't think i could pick up anything beyond placebo, not that i think it is snake-oil.

its an adaptogen so its in the same category as ashwagandha, maca, holy basil etc, if it had drug interactions i'm pretty sure i would have read something by now

The strongest MAOI compound in R. rosea is rosiridin, which is still crazy weak, 1000x less potent than something like segelegine and also not very bioavailiable (hydrolysed by gut acids). In fact, piperine from black pepper is a more effective MAOI. So Rhodiola is not an effective MAOI in humans and its antidepresant/anxiolytic effect may instead be from other routes of action.

It may be worth a try as an "adaptogen", whatever that is, but don't expect miracles and discontinue usage if you have any concerns. I'd try something else like lemon balm or rooibos tea or whatever.

ive taken this and it definitely has a mild stimulant effect all on its own. it's been used by traditional peoples for many many years and there is a reason why it has migrated via profitable industry all the way to the health food store shelves.

i've also noticed that most adaptagens synergize well with stimulants, this herb being no exception. when taken with ritalin it definitely potentiate the experience, as witnessed by myself and a friend of mine who happened to have a massive tolerance to stims himself and was surprised at this effect. the qualities of some of these herbs are very real; when i took ashwagandha while on 10mg selegiline per day i would get a solid buzz akin to about 10mg amphetamine, which was entirely unexpected and certainly not reproducible with just the herb on its own.

i'd say go for it but just start small. the MAOI properties of rhodiola are indeed weak and they probably don't even effect the breakdown of serotonin (read the wikipedia page for MAOIs to see for yourself).