• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

RFD: Do you agree removing 'smack' reference is good or bad in pillreports?

We're just talking grammatical technicalities now... I don't know why I even supported the term "speedy" anyway - probably just to add weight to the argument against "smacky"... ;)
If you'd prefer me to say "close to zero" then I can - but it's still like 1 pill out of how many million? And in those pills where heroin has turned up, it wasn't even in a large enough does to be orally active. So if this is the conclusive evidence we need to validate the use of the term "smacky" then I guess I'm arguing out of my league. I'd like to think though that we can rise above these parliamentary tactics of picking up on people's minor errors and using them to dispute whole arguments. :)
Obviously common sense should prevail - not every reference to "smacky" pills will be removed, and it's useless to try. A campaign like that would have about the same level of effectiveness as the government has ridding the streets of drugs entirely. What is important though is that Bluelight can't be seen to promote the use of the word - epically when there are alternatives available which have the same effect without the confusing connotations... :)
[ 11 September 2002: Message edited by: Pleonastic ]

Heheheeh... you put bits in after I replied! That's cheating! ;)
I do agree with you on that "speedy" pills feel like speed while "smacky" pills do not feel like heroin. Also agreed that "smacky" leaves room for discrepancies. However, this becomes a matter of semantics, and proves nothing as far as how appropriate a term is. :) I think it does proves something - if "smacky" leaves room for discrepancies (as you said yourself), and "floored" or "mashed" doesn't, which is the better term?

You were too fast for me Pleo! ;)
Yeah, "floored" and "mashed" are definitely better terminology than "smacked-out". But we certainly can't say it's a "floory" or "mashy" pill can we? ;) I guess this means we are agreeing to disagree? :)
My main concern was not so much the which lingo is right, more so the high-handed fashion we on Bluelight seem to take. I will defend to the death the right for anyone to their point of view as long as it has sufficient thought put into it and is not entirely groundless. :D

Everyone who uses the word "smacky" will understand just as well when people say "floored" or "mashed". It's not like we need the term smacky to cross language barriers - there are perfectly workable alternatives with far fewer ambiguities.
Werd to that.
Yeah, "floored" and "mashed" are definitely better terminology than "smacked-out". But we certainly can't say it's a "floory" or "mashy" pill can we? I guess this means we are agreeing to disagree?
Why not just say: they're good - they floored me OR, I was totally mashed?
[ 12 September 2002: Message edited by: roof_boy ]

In haste... although I agree the term smacky is confusing, after a quick read I am more inclined to agree with Mr Happ E and syke.
Efforts to censor or purify language usage are doomed to failure. Language is dynamic and constantly changing.
We recently had a similar debate on the meaning of the word ice. Depending on where you are, it could mean 4-MAR or it could mean really pure methamphetamine.
Just because I'm gay doesn't mean I'm happy, but it could. If I'm happy it doesn't necessarily mean I'm queer. If I'm queer it doesn't necessarily mean I'm peculiar.
Although some would disagree with the last statement about me ;)
What IS important is to keep pushing the message that there is no heroin to be found in "ecstasy" pills.

The word smacky is used frequently on pill reports, but any post is quickly corrected if the poster implies heroin was present in a pill. This continual correction does educate. If you read pill reports - even occasionally - you would know what this term refers to and when it’s used out of context. Such is the value of such a site; typical accurate responses and quick moderator corrections. All excellent work!
But attempting to rid the world of a street term before its natural demise may be like shooting yourself in the foot. If the term only gets brief mention on the board, and yet it continues to be used as a street term, isn’t there a danger misconception could become more prevalent?
Perhaps a good compromise may be to alter the front page of pill reports to include terminology and meanings – a sort of simply glossary. This would need to be seen on the first screen of the page and be in bold coloured print. I know there’s the FAQ and guidelines, but I mean something you see first. JB has got messages out like this before.
EXAMPLE
“SMACKY” (not preferred term) means…..a pill which bla bla, and not one which contains Heroin.
Just an idea, but how many visitors to pill reports actually read pages other than the reports? As you have to go past the front page, seems it might be the best place for such important issues and messages.

OK, my personal feelings on the word aside, I'm prompted by phase_dancer's post to refer to the original topic.
Regardless of the public opinion of the pro's or con's of using the word "smacky" to describe MDMA's effects, I believe that removing references to the term when it is used erroneously on pillreports to describe MDMA-based pills is a good idea.
That way, people can use the term if they want to, anytime they like, but when we store information in a global database for measuring the quality of ecstacy tablets, we cannot be accused of furthering myths or publishing spurious data.
BigTrancer :)

^^^ exactamundo. Basically our house rules say if you use that word we get to yell at you and pull you up. Don't like it? Go elsewhere.
But that doesn't mean censor. We have tried very hard to not have tabboos here at Bluelight, because if something is not discussed you don't learn anything about it. What is worse with taboos is that myths and lies can happily continue being spread if people aren't allowed to openly talk about subjects.
So yes, you can use the word, but around here (Blueight and Pillreports) you are just asking for humiliation.

As I understand it the ultimate purpose of pillreports.com is to reduce harm by supplying users with information about pills. The more information the site has, the more informed and safe decisions people can make.
Think about this scenario.
Tom has been using pills for 2 years. Whilst at a club he learns of pillreports.com and their purpose. Intrigued, the next day he decides to post a report on the pill he took the previous night. Using standard lingo he posts a report describing the pill in moderate detail. Later on he checks back to discover that his report has been edited and the term smacky removed. Irritated he leaves the site never to return.
If the post was unedited he may have made many more posts helping fellow users make more informed, safer decisions.
Removing the term smacky from posts will help dispel the myth of heroin in pills. It will also put people off from posting reports which is a harm reduction issue! The myth of heroin in pills is not.
However, when someone explicitly says they think heroin or smack was in a pill their post should be edited.
[ 12 September 2002: Message edited by: Morbo ]

However, when someone explicitly says they think heroin or smack was in a pill their post should be edited.
I agreed with you up to that point. In this case it is even more important to enter into a dialogue this person. How do they know? Did they test it? This actually happened with Australian pills that tested as "opiate" to Marquis. The pills were then sent to Amstredamn for testing and the results came back as morphine.
If we had blindly edited out the references to opiates we would have learnt nothing. No editing, no censorship, just a constant vigilance and preparedness to explain or ask the hard questions.

^^^^^
I don't think we should remove all references to opiates. Only edit posts with unsubstantiated claims that a pill contains, or has a good chance of containing heroin. Perhaps a standard blurb could be written explaining the whole myth, which would then be added to the end of such posts.
That way noone is being censored and readers will be able to make an informed decision on whether to believe the poster or not.

who really cares if the terminology used is "smacky", "mongy" or whatever fukin else......its now generic people...get on with it. .....seasoned users will comprehend.....and for the newbies.....they'll eventually get a handle on it....and as for scaring new users..... i doubt it ....it didn't stop me.
this thread is a load of crap

I say replace 'smacky' with 'holy shit man it fucken floored me I wanna take pills everyday why isn't everyone on pills all the time, wow! That's such a good idea! Hold on, what was that? Gimme a hug u shirtless hunk!'
In case anyone doesn't get me, that was a joke ;)

Originally posted by Morbo:
Tom has been using pills for 2 years. Whilst at a club he learns of pillreports.com and their purpose. Intrigued, the next day he decides to post a report on the pill he took the previous night. Using standard lingo he posts a report describing the pill in moderate detail. Later on he checks back to discover that his report has been edited and the term smacky removed. Irritated he leaves the site never to return.

So the user has no desire to be educated? Isn't that the point of the freakin site in the first place?
It comes down to the fact that pillreports and bluelight are NOT here primarily to serve the social, cliquey desires of the raving community. It's a HARM MINIMISATION site, and if everyone stops trying to minimise the harm (by minimising the miseducation) then there is no point to this place.

OMFG. its like banging your head against a brick wall.
There a bigger picture that needs to be considered here. whilst this is not allowed i'm sure, i am actually going to repeat myself in the same thread...
"What about the MUCH wider community; i dont care whats going on in our little insignificant illicit world. i care about what the media, police, governments and my parents think. They dont know what a "smackey" pill feels like, they dont know what any pill feels like!! To them smack = heroin.
And thats what matters. Look at the bigger picture please! "
Bluelight and pillreports are public message boards; viewed by people other than adolsecent pill-poppers. What people do and say in their own sphere is irrelevant to me and everyone else; but perpetuating an urban myth, one that just will not go away, is everyones business. Especially those that run the site. And like it or not, whilst this site is public the founding fathers/moderators are allowed to have rules just like any other website.
Look at it like the editor of a newspaper; letters to the editor and other articles are edited if the editor feels they contain incorrect or misleading information which the wider public may consider to be fact.
Using the word smackey for your own purposes, in your own world, is significantly different from putting it up there on a message board, whose policy it is not to use that term, for all and sundry to see.
This is not being elitist at all; its just a simple rule people should know and keep in mind; and for gods sake its not hard to follow.

Amen to that, couldn't have said it any clearer. We are here to educate and as such we should always try to refer to substances we discuss by the most correct term possible and avoid the use of slang or possibly misleading and confusing terms.

Biscuit: All I ever do in these threads is repeat myself. But we just have to. The points you raise are crucial, but no one here seems to think beyond their little world.
Try talking to journalists, public servants and politicians like I have been doing and you'll see the damage done by these slang terms.

at the moment, in the posting guideline, all it says is
Avoid using descriptions as 'smacky', 'cokey' etc. Don't let people tell you that heroin/coke/rat poison or any other mythical additives exist in pills. Just let it go, it doesn't happen. (Speed, Ketamine etc is another story, especially in Australia).
a suggestion: i think pillreports should have a notice (perhaps when users are posting) that says the word "smacky" would be editted out and replaced with a description of more accurate wording and less association with "smack", "heroin"; at the discretion of the moderators ( which would in no way change the intention or meaning of the post)
:)
[edit: i think notifying users of potential mod intervention would serve as incentive for users to review what they're posting, and their use of the word "smacky". at the same time, users would be less indignant or alienated when they come to discover their posts were editted for "no apparent reason"]
[ 12 September 2002: Message edited by: vurtomatic ]

Thanks all, I have been following this and taking note of what everyone is saying. Basically all the reasons of trying to dispel myths, give information to factual information as much as possible and just trying to look at the 'big picture' are why I am editing the term smacky.
I do understand a lot of users do use it and I am not doing this as an elitist, jaded way of trying to kill the term smacky but as others have said (and so well), experienced ecstasy users are not the only people who view pillreports.com. Please try to understand this. Anyway, I have put up a report to state why this is being done and please don't hesitate to keep this discussion going if you feel you have something positive to add.
The report is http://www.pillreports.com/viewpill.php3?id=27982&area=
thanks once again, I do appreciate when you guys do post :)
*EDIT* Hope you don't mind BigTrancer, I used your storing data on a global basis in my report. Very well said!
[ 13 September 2002: Message edited by: wazza ]

I havent heard the term "Mongy" used at all before, is it a local saying pertaining to the state/city/location/social group?
I've noticed more people using "Munted" which seems to be another made up word to describe a "state of being"
I have also introduced the word "Munted" to non BL people who used to use the word "smacky" as a state of being, and they have since dropped it and are now using "munted" as it seems appropriate.... Note: substitute "Munted" for any other word (made up or not) which does not already describe a "state of being"