• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Reversibility of Cannabis effects After Abstinence

Ernestrome

Bluelighter
Is anyone aware of any papers investigating the reversibility of cannabis effects, ie after what period is a user back to 'normal'.

I have found a lot of articles which say essentially it is unknown whether they are reversible or not, but none that put a figure on it, or outright say it is irreversible.

Have got this so far, but it is only on a very short timeline.

Marijuana abstinence effects in marijuana smokers maintained in their home environment (2001) Budney AJ et al. Archives of General Psychiatry, 58, 917-924.

Unfortunatelly I cannot cite any papers for you. But from my experience, a regimen of piracetam (or an analogue), hydergine, and lecithin (specifically a choline source) has done absolute wonders for me in reversing cannabis side effects among other areas. Basically they have helped me to improve my quality of life and quality of my mental state tremendously. Perhaps that could help point you in a worthwhile direction.

Actually, the research in piracetam especially, and also hydergine, and their combination is extremely promising and exciting, even for perfectly healthy individuals. Among many other benefits is a decrease in the brain's aging due to several factors including mitochondrial regeneration and a reduction in cell destruction because of regulartion of the levels of oxygens supplied to the brain, reducing cell oxidation.

Last edited:
Uh, might be a good idea, actually, if the mods here don't find it appropriate. I think it could fit either way, but I'd be glad to have it over there, for the purposes of harm reduction.

The paper you want is this
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8606472&dopt=Abstract

The residual cognitive effects of heavy marijuana use in college students.

Pope HG Jr, Yurgelun-Todd D.

Another paper of interest might be:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8911228&dopt=Abstract
Cognitive correlates of long-term cannabis use in Costa Rican men.

Fletcher JM, Page JB, Francis DJ, Copeland K, Naus MJ, Davis CM, Morris R, Krauskopf D, Satz P.

Sure, i posted here because i'm more interested in finding papers comparing people who have been abstinent from cannabis for periods of time greater than a month and those who currently use.

Thank you, that is precisely what i am looking for. I have some other Pope papers but not that one.

Loss of High: 1 hour.
Reversal of Tolerance: 3 days.
Return to Normalcy: 2-3 weeks.

Except for the loss of high i find that anecdotally that statement to be partially true. For me, the return to normalcy (~90%) only takes a few weeks although i don't know about the pharmacokenetics behind it all.

When I stop smoking I'm no longer high.

What are you guys talking about?

Reversing effects, what effects?

Reversing cognitive effects, ie performance on psychological tests changes after smoking, i wnated to know after what time these changes reverse, and users become indistinguishable form nonusers.

Just because I don't smoke weed for a few days doesn't mean I'm taking the flowers out of my hair.