• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Resume- No Work Experience

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Resume- No Work Experience

starlightgemini said:
And no offense but... how old are you that you've NEVER had a job yet? I'm really thankful that my mother forced me to get a job when I was 15. I learned a lot about responsibility, independence, and work ethic, just by starting so young.

my dad was forced to go to work when he was 12 to help out my grandparents, he didn't want that life for me.

He wouldn't let me work when I was in school, he said "keep your head in the books" Which I never did, but oh well.

I already have a strong understanding of responsibility, independence and work ethic even though I have never worked a "proper" job. Every job I've ever worked has been "under the table" So I can't really put that down on an application.

and I agree with everyone, I would never lie about experience, that will only bite you in the ass in the future.

lacey k said:
Well make sure you hype yourself like "i may not have that much experience but im serious, ambitous, a quick learner, and willing to work hard"

A resume is not a document to "hype" yourself up. Trust me I look at potential employees and if they wrote something like that it would just show lack of experience.

^ I presume lacey was talking about in the interview.

Also, a resume *is* a sales document...it's just phrased differently. If you don't have any experience, that's just the way it is. Your dad's inadvertently done you a disservice by not letting you work in school though, IMO.

A solid resume is your meal ticket.

In my experience, employers tend to look for hard facts first. Work experience, college, volunteer work <-- in that order.

If you pass that test, they'll glaze over the fluff - ie, your writing style, quality of parchment, font stylings, and shameless self-promotion <--- in that order, too.

After that, it's all in the interview process.

i'm not sure i agree with you, DD.

i've hired and fired many people in my time and i can see through a stylish resume in a split second.

i would argue that way too much emphasis is placed on resume building. if you spend an equivalent amount of time mining your network of contacts to, say, get a personal recommendation or introduction, that will pay much larger dividends than any time spent on a resume...

in my opinion.

alasdair