• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Researching/trying to get facts, experiences and understand diphenhydramine HCI

sacredsprita

Greenlighter
Hi all,

I happened upon this site as I was looking into the drug diphenhydramine HCI taken anally and what effects it may produce.

I guess I am looking for the type of experience people may get, the side effects, if it is addictive.

While I hold no judgment, 2 years ago I found out that my hubby has been butt chugging beer anally for all of our marriage secretively. How long 15 years of marriage at the time i found out. Now going on 18 years.

So while I am taking a live and let live philosophy with him. I am becoming more concerned.

I asked him at the time if here was anything else I needed to know about, any other secrets he said no. I asked him again recently in the last 6 months anything else I need to know about, again he said no. I have now discovered he is also taking diphenhydramine HCI anally as well. 25 mg x 12 x 2 times. Basically I found 25 mg 12 of them empty from the wrapper with 2 tampons applicators in a bag. So I am assuming he is doing 6 at a time so 180 MG per use.

There is some behavior on his part that is concerning to me. I am concerned about the long term affects of it. If it is addictive. What happens coming off it. Does this lead to someone feeling energetically drained? Does it help someone get a good nights sleep? Do refreshed? Do you feel more relaxed afterwards? Can it lead to someone becoming more physical with others? As in more man handling not quite violent yet. Can withdrawals cause muscle and joint pain? Sometimes drugs given for pain can actually make it seem much worse when you withdrawal from it.

I know he has trouble sleeping, and I know he has pain. And yet he is a typical man won't go see a doctor. It makes me wonder if aside from the "excuse" of can't sleep and trying to self medicate. If he is actually addicted to the release feeling that can come from drugs.

Mostly I am concerned as to what he will graduate to next. And I am concerned with him sticking the crap up the bum. My brother who is a veterinarian told me that doing that passes all safe guards the body has to being poisoned and can lead to a greater amount of damage to the organs.

I really am not looking to judge. But for my own well being I need to understand where this could lead my hubby, what are the dangers, so I can figure out what to do next.

Your comments and input are greatly appreciated.

I used to take benadryl until my tolerance got so high I actually hallucinated one night. It has been about 2 years since I took it. I was afraid to take it rectally because I read how it would burn, I was able to obtain sterile ampules for a short time. I never really withdrew when I stopped but then again I was always on painkillers so it would be hard to tell if I did but really don't think so. I just know that my tolerance was sky high and hallucinations scared me to stop. I also developed a stutter on it. Hope this helps, best wishes bono

I don't understand why someone would be taking diphenhydramine rectally. It's not even really a recreational drug, imo. Unless you like being in a delirious state.

Diphenhydramine HCL, aka Benadyrl or sometimes DPH is an anti-histamine, mainly used for allergies, such as poison ivy rashes, bee stings, etc. DPH on it's own is not used for pain. The side-effects they cause are generally drowsiness and medically have been accepted to be used to help people go to sleep. It's generally a "safe," drug taken orally in low to moderate doses, but I don't know about anally. I doubt the Benadyrl will cause him to become violent or other behavioral issues if he were to stop, but he may need to find a different medicine to go to sleep.

I don't think your husband is in immediate danger but if he experiments with other drugs talk to him about it. He may be hiding something

However, when DPH is taken in high doses (250mg+ irc)acts as a deliriant which generally are unpopular as drugs due to the nature of bad hallucinogenic they cause. Additionally, Benadryl is not physically addictive, but he may have some sort of pyschological addiction to it. I have used Benadyrl before and quite frankly, they're one of the drugs I wouldn't do again. It's not harmful as far as I know, but it just an unpleasant feeling.

I doubt much will result in him coming off it and I doubt any muscle and joint pain would occur, as for the beer, I'm pretty sure thats not a good thing to plug, aka take anally. If you want to talk to him, don't approach him in a manner to make him feel guilty or tell him to stop. Be supportive and ask him to drink the beer or take the DPH orally instead of anally.

In conclusion,
-Benadyrl isn't physically addictive(but drugs like heroin, nicotine,meth are) but its possible he may have a psychological dependence.
-Benadyrl shouldn't cause any major or even noticeable withdrawals.
-Benadyrl does cause a good nights sleep and is practically safe to use in low-to-moderate doses for sleep, but he may need a new sedative medicine if he is to come of it.
-Benadyrl shouldn't make him violent in that dose of 180mg
-Higher doses may provide a some euphoria and even higher doses may induce delirium.
- Do some research and be wary of his substance use. I don't think he will develop an addiction into anything anytime soon but it is possible.

I'm no doctor but I have had experiences with diphenhydramine. Form your own decisions and consider if you should see a doctor.
There is a natural substance that is legal in most states of the USA called kratom that may help with his pain and sleep and is relatively safe, consider looking into it and seeing if it might be a solution. I'm near certain kratom is safer than ingesting beer and DPH anally.

What the actual fuck.

Please get your husband to see someone. This is incredibly weird, unhealthy behavior. Benadryl abuse (especially anally what the fucking christ) can lead to all sorts of serious side effects.

Beer and diphenhydramine... anally? What?
what...
I have no idea why you'd do either of them anally, since they both have pretty good oral bioavailability. Plus, since beer has such a small ABV...
This is just weird. I guess I'd agree that he should probably see a professional about... something. Even if it's just to find him a better option for getting to sleep.

i highly doubt hes sticking benedryl up his butt?? good place for opiates and benzos in liquid form to go but :)

Okay I'm an ex IV drug user and I get people saying :you have to be crazy to stick a needle in your arm to get high" but sticking shit up your ass and through your gut? Go fuckin nuts dude, may your highs be warm and lubed!
It broke my heart years ago when my mother walked in on me fixing up(not enough to quit) couldn't imagine what it would have been like if I had pants around ankles and a syringe up my ass,probably would have received a different look!
Ok I must admit I didn't read the ops post until now(just the title) this is a fucking troll! Her husbnd has been "butt chugging" beer for 15 years? Why would this guy be taking his bud anally for this long? I mean unless he has some painful stomach condition and he's a horrible alcoholic would he have done this for so long.Also how the fuck would he have been butt slamming(yes many meanings here) beers for this long without his wife finding out? Hey honey I gotta piss let me grab a beer for the head, then he shoots beer in his ass? I don't get it! I mean you would need to use an enima for beer,right?If not that's a lot of refills on a syringe(even the big plugging ones).

Last edited:
drug use is the least of your problems I have a hard time believing this is real.