• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Research demonstrates exercise reduces voluntary addictive drug use

SteamboatBillJr

Bluelighter
Psychopharmacology said:
Psychopharmacology
November 2011, Volume 218, Issue 2, pp 357-369
Date: 13 May 2011
The effects of aerobic exercise on cocaine self-administration in male and female rats

Mark A. Smith,
Katherine L. Walker,
Kathryn T. Cole,
Kimberly C. Lang

In drug self-administration procedures, extended-access test sessions allow researchers to model maladaptive patterns of excessive and escalating drug intake that are characteristic of human substance-abusing populations.
Objectives

The purpose of the present study was to examine the ability of aerobic exercise to decrease excessive and escalating patterns of drug intake in male and female rats responding under extended-access conditions.
Methods

Male and female Long–Evans rats were obtained at weaning and divided into sedentary (no running wheel) and exercising (running wheel) groups immediately upon arrival. After 6 weeks, rats were surgically implanted with intravenous catheters and allowed to self-administer cocaine under positive reinforcement contingencies. In experiment 1, cocaine self-administration was examined during 23-h test sessions that occurred every 4 days. In experiment 2, the escalation of cocaine intake was examined during daily 6-h test sessions over 14 consecutive days.
Results

In experiment 1, sedentary rats self-administered significantly more cocaine than exercising rats during uninterrupted 23-h test sessions, and this effect was apparent in both males and females. In experiment 2, sedentary rats escalated their cocaine intake to a significantly greater degree than exercising rats over the 14 days of testing. Although females escalated their cocaine intake to a greater extent than males, exercise effectively attenuated the escalation of cocaine intake in both sexes.
Conclusions

These data indicate that aerobic exercise decreases maladaptive patterns of excessive and escalating cocaine intake under extended-access conditions.
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00213-011-2321-5

Psychopharmacology said:
Psychopharmacology
December 2012, Volume 224, Issue 3, pp 387-400
Date: 03 Jul 2012
Exercise to reduce the escalation of cocaine self-administration in adolescent and adult rats

Natalie E. Zlebnik,
Justin J. Anker,
Marilyn E. Carroll

Concurrent access to an exercise wheel decreases cocaine self-administration under short access (5 h/day for 5 days) conditions and suppresses cocaine-primed reinstatement in adult rats.
Objective

The effect of exercise (wheel running) on the escalation of cocaine intake during long access (LgA, 6 h/day for 26 days) conditions was evaluated.
Methods

Adolescent and adult female rats acquired wheel running, and behavior was allowed to stabilize for 3 days. They were then implanted with an iv catheter and allowed to self-administer cocaine (0.4 mg/kg, iv) during 6-h daily sessions for 16 days with concurrent access to either an unlocked or a locked running wheel. Subsequently, for ten additional sessions, wheel access conditions during cocaine self-administration sessions were reversed (i.e., locked wheels became unlocked and vice versa).
Results

In the adolescents, concurrent access to the unlocked exercise wheel decreased responding for cocaine and attenuated escalation of cocaine intake irrespective of whether the locked or unlocked condition came first. However, cocaine intake increased when the wheel was subsequently locked for the adolescents that had initial access to an unlocked wheel. Concurrent wheel access either before or after the locked wheel access did not reduce cocaine intake in adults.
Conclusions

Wheel running reduced cocaine intake during LgA conditions in adolescent but not adult rats, and concurrent access to the running wheel was necessary. These results suggest that exercise prevents cocaine seeking and that this effect is more pronounced in adolescents than adults.
This research was supported by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, R01 DA003240-28 and K05 DA015267-10 (MEC).
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00213-012-2760-7

Damn straight, exercise makes most things better except for perhaps injuries, but even then if you play it right, you should be able to find exercise that doesn't disrupt most injuries

I believe it is also very effective to heal from neural changes and damages associated and resultant from drug use and addiction.

What is "voluntary" addictive drug use and what other kind of addictive drug use is the word "voluntary" distinguishing from? (Yes I read the papers.)

I believe it is also very effective to heal from neural changes and damages associated and resultant from drug use and addiction.

As in Neuroplasticity, consistent aerobic exercise can also make changes in the brain of chronic pain patients to permanently reduce their pain. Well, that's the theory so far,

Rtp

Well done man!! Don't know if u wrote or simply contributed to this Wiki page, but keep it coming!!

Actually, I kinda wish I'd started this thread..any readers,- contribute pls!! It's a great area to discuss, with many differing outcomes & possibilities!

Thanks Seppi,

Rtp

Well done man!! Don't know if u wrote or simply contributed to this Wiki page, but keep it coming!!

Thanks. :p
I've rewritten a lot of it, but there's still a lot of content that needs to be improved (edit history stats for that article - the wikipedia toolserver blows so this link might not load on certain days... like today).

It was originally written by a group of senior undergrad psychology students who were enrolled in a class which involved editing wikipedia to improve coverage of psych-related concepts. I think they did a decent job on covering the topic, but their finished version wasn't entirely up-to-date and didn't conform to wikipedia's rather strict citation standard for medical articles.

What is "voluntary" addictive drug use and what other kind of addictive drug use is the word "voluntary" distinguishing from? (Yes I read the papers.)
I assume they're making the distinction between voluntary and involuntary, like if they injected the rats with a set amount.

more like The Anandamide Factory

Hmmm.. "more like" a factory for many things.

I used endorphin as it is a widely, positively recognized, association with exercise among a very broad group of people.

The real deal is its the one stop pure dope shop for just about everything you would want. Best and purest drug on the planet IMO.

Exercise and Brain Neurotransmission

The Runner's High: Opioidergic Mechanisms in the Human Brain

Endocannabinoids and exercise

So kinda like this without the pollution.

NSFW:

air_pollution_oil_t_2_53719.jpg

Last edited:
Exercise does a bunch of things from a neuro-scientific standpoint.

(1) Releases dopamine as it is a reward-based pleasure activity.

(2) Releases endorphins and improves blood circulation, both of make you happier.

(3) Allows access to fresh air (in some cases), improving quality of oxygen and thus the brain and blood function better.

(4) Building muscle mass increases testosterone in men and estrogen in women which causes a bunch of health improvements, particularly enhanced sexual experience, confidence, overall well-being, energy levels, and physical health through more red and white blood cells.

(5) Gives a chance to either listen to music and thus meditate, changing the brain from (is it alpha, pheta, omega, ah well, does not matter, haha) one wave form to another, or allowing one to think, which itself produces chemical changes if the thoughts are positive like lowering adrenaline through cognitive rational thought, or talk to someone else and thus activate and improve the language processing center of the brain, which is often damaged in drug abuse.

(6) Lowers cortisol, low-density level cholesterol, blood pressure, and other such things, which obviously increases happiness, reduces stress, etc, immensely.

(7) Getting physically fit helps with sexual attraction as well as physical strength, agility, stamina, and dexterity. All of which lead to an increased serotonin production from a higher self-image, especially when one receives positive attraction from other members of the species.