• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Relationships between nicotine/caffeine/cannabis and prodromal psychotic symptoms?

Changa707

Bluelighter
Hey folks, since I was a teen I always thought I had some kind of mental condition, I would experience OCD like symptoms and impulsivity but was never medicated because my parents didn't believe in that.
I have been self-medicating with tobacco and cannabis for about 6 years now, and during the periods where I abstain from tobacco/cannabis I have developed psychotic thought patterns and experience so-called prodromal psychotic symptoms. My understanding is that all mental conditions occur on a kind of "spectrum", so everyone is psychotic to some extent but some people to an excess.

Now, I was just researching prodromal psychosis and found an article discussing a relationship between tobacco and prodromal psychotic symptoms http://cannabisandpsychosis.ca/more-information/what-do-we-know/what-is-the-evidence-saying/self-medication-hypothesis/

I know it's not a scientific journal or anything, but maybe someone here could point me in the right direction...I am just trying to figure out if there is a relationship between my tobacco/cannabis use and the symptoms of prodromal psychosis? I have also noticed that I am very sensitive to caffeine and it causes me to sometimes have unusual thoughts or "hear voices"...not really in the literal sense, but it's like my mother's voice slowed down and stretched out...in a lower pitch. It's always the same voice, and seems to appear when I consume stimulants (caffeine, tobacco, cocaine, MDxx).

What is the relationship between the tobacco/cannabis/caffeine use and prodromal symptoms? I don't want to end up full blown psychotic, so I am currently trying to limit my use of all substances. It seems that opiates and benzodiazepines are the only drugs that do not induce psychotic symptoms in me at this point.

Not tobacco - nicotine is known to reduce symptoms of schizophrenia. As for cannabis, the jury is out with respect to causation, but I have the feeling they're close to stating that it is horrible if one is predisposed to psychosis.