• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Relationship W/ Psychiatrist and overstepping boundaries?

If your talking about 20 vicodin once or twice a year that seems perfectly normal assuming you have a good history and are not a drug abuser... but any chronic problem needs to be looked at... if it turns into a common thing then he is either unethical or a very poor doctor... and if hes not then asking him for such will make him think your either a drug dealer or drug addict/abuser

@bucklecroft... psychiatrists, like any doctor can prescribe any drug they please up to and including schedule 3, or if they have the additional schedule 2 liscense then those also... they can also prescribe drugs "off label" if they feel it will help their patient... for example vicodin is schedule 3 and if the fda or dea asked him why he can say it helped your mood... and its not even a lie... alleviating pain certainly is a well known way to enhance a persons mood ;)

Last edited:
Hey,

Would appreciate responses asap, as will be sending an email to my psych, later tonight.

So, my psychiatrist and I have a very good relationship and he sends me scripts for pretty much whatever I ask. I never abuse and always use them for their therapeutic abilities. The other big caveat is, I don't have insurance, and he simply lets me pay a minor fee in exchange for his services.

So, I'll get to my point, finally. I have had a very sore shoulder (lacks mobility at times) from overworking it through gym exercises. Is it unethical to ask your psych for an opiate prescription? Given the fact that I don't have insurance and it would be much more costly to go see a GP, I find my current situation much more appealing. Look forward to replies.

Cheers

I know this post is old but I don't consider it unethical. The ethical weight in the relationship really lies mostly with the psychiatrist, not you. I've had my PCP prescribe me psych meds before. and I know of psychiatrists who not infrequently prescribe 'medical' meds to their psych patients, it's not something they look forward to doing, and some are more against it than others, but I have found that most are willing to do so on a case by case basis depending on the particular circumstances (if they won't be seeing the PCP for a while, whatever...). It's no big deal to ask, your not trying to blackmail him, right?