• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Reiki

Sounds pretty intense. I'd definitely find the dark room part transformative, I feel.

I find it funny how this is the kind of thing people here will accept with a foregin name, but would call it 'witchery' or something like that if it was native to the west, and there'd be a stigma on using it.

psychoblast said:
In considering this, my current working hypothesis is that the universe itself as a whole is a consciousness and, rather than being a separate consciousness from us, we are fragments of that consciousness and, in fact, that consciousness is the sum of the consciousness of all the separate fragments.

~psychoblast~

I know your probably not around to read this, and I know that the post is a few years old, but I just wanted to mention that I had a revelation of my own while I was tripping a few days ago that has lead me to create a similar hypothesis, though you've definitely worded it a lot better than I was able to.

I'm trying to take the revelation with a grain of salt, as I've never been a very spiritual person, but it made so much sense at the time.

*Bump*

I've started going to Reiki sessions recently. I was always a bit skeptical of Reiki, it seemed a bit too flakey for me, even though my friend attuned me last summer. I had a bit of fun healing my period pain once in less than five minutes, then promptly forgot about it and returned to my party life of booze sex and drugs. I'm not sure if my channels are still 'open' even though I hardly practised it. When I get in the zone I can feel energy flowing through my hands, but I think I could always do this, so not sure if its Reiki. I believe that when you're attuned you're supposed to practise for 21 days or something like that. Way above my commitment level at the time.

Anyway even after being attuned I was still skeptical about it, but after getting into energy psychology I found myself reluctantly considering Reiki... I've had two sessions now and it's odd, but I can definitely feel something happening, the energy buzz through my body is insane, and the man's hands are like radiators! I'm still waiting to see long-term results though and then I will judge. All in all, cool experience.

Anyone else?

Reiki costing money is absurd. We have Reiki "circles" where the "karmatic" exchange is that we all do Reiki on each other. I once thought Reiki was bullshit, but frankly have had some pretty profound experience on it, I'm less concerned with objective reality and more with subjective experience though when it comes to healing as the psychological impact can mean just as much or more than a true "chi"/"energetic" whatever modification/alteration.

The first drug detox I went to had a reiki session once a week, everyone raved about it so I was looking forward to it but I don't know, nothing really happened. She did pick up that my ankle was injured so that was a bit weird as I don't know how she could have known that. The people there said they'd seen kids in serious withdrawal fall asleep in their reiki session though so eh, maybe there's something in it.

Huh? Who cares, there are so many books on buddhism out there it isn't funny. Just follow the four noble truths and the eightfold path all available to read and practice free, anywhere online or your local library. If you want a little more freedom read up on zen buddhism. I recommend the diamond sutra. Good luck.

Thanks for your response, but I don't see any defense of Reiki in it. I
Anyway, I was hoping for a more basic, nuts & bolts answer regarding Reiki and whether it has ever been studied, debunked, etc. I mean, I don't even know if people claim Reiki can heal physical ailments...Perhaps you can explain to me what benefits are supposedly obtained from Reiki?

~psychoblast~

I'm about to start studying reiki under someone in a few weeks in fact.
It's not mandatory that one pays for attunement - you can pay in karma/kindness, there are of course people out there who want to be paid for their time and rightly so!!
I have no problem with paying for their time; any teacher should be paid in some way for passing something so sacred on.
There are however (like with almost everything in this world) people who will try & take advantage of stupid people and do online distance attunements and such like over the internet.

Reiki does not HEAL phsyical ailments, it can be used in conjunction with other remedies such as acupuncture, massage, etc - but it does help.

THe benefits of Reiki are from energy - life force.

If you don't believe in Chi then whatever, but if you've any experience with it at all, then you'd know it was true - you can feel it.

One of the most important things that I have noticed on a personal level with Reiki is...

It never works for me unless I am close to those who are doing it on me, or I am doing it on them.

Well, I wound up studying Reiki and have decided it has validity consistent with that of prayer and affirmative thinking.

What my skepticism cannot overcome is the origins of Reiki -- that some guy around a century ago could not understand why the Bible talked about people healing other people, but people in the modern era could not heal by faith, so he went up on a mountain and fasted until some angel came and taught him the secret hand gestures and tones to speak in order to heal people.

Come on. There is no "magic" way of gesturing, or "magic" syllables to recite to create healing. And the origins of Reiki are nearly as recent and farfetched as the origins of Scientology (and what a joke that is).

That said, I DO believe that there is power in prayer and affirmative thinking, that our thoughts and expectations do to some degee direct the course of reality into the future. So, Reiki may be an effective means to channel that power by creating a ritualistic experience that helps people to believe and expect good things.

In short, I still think it has no objective validity, but it may have significant subjective validity.

~psychoblast~

First time trying reiki (if this can be considered reiki) - I was at a trance party and this girl ate 2ce and MDMA at the same time. Her friends told her not to but she did it regardless. She collapsed on the floor head first completely out and everyone gathered around. I was on mushrooms and 2ce, having the most profound open eyed visuals I've ever had. Being as fearless and experimental as I always am on mushrooms, I attempted reiki on her. My right hand was on her naval and my left on her heart. I closed my eyes and did a visualization technique, where I imagined a large ball of energy rise from the center of the earth up through my body, up into space to the central strand and back down through the galaxy, solar system, into the trees, down into the roots to the center of the earth, and through my body again but this time I visualized the light coming through my hands and into this girl's body. As I visualized the energy coming out my hands I also had extremely vivid and amazing closed eye visuals. As this was happening, and it went on for a few minutes, her body started twitching from her toes, up her legs, to her ass, back, neck and when it reached her head she gasped for air. I continued to focus on the visualization technique, and eventually she sat up and became coherent.

^ Did she thank you, or ask you what the hell you were doing? :)

I also think there's something to reiki, in terms of a real and measurable effect on the people participating. It deserves to be classed with yoga, martial arts, and meditation in this regard. I don't know how much of it is supernatural, but it definitely falls under the category of magick.

Turns out I don't know what coherent means. She was pretty out of it upon waking up and probably didn't know what was going on, but was able to answer some questions.

I forgot to mention she was totally out at first... no breath, pulse etc. It was quite the rush.

I don't know if I actually had anything to do with it, but it sure felt like it.

PB,

To address the issue of reiki practicioners requiring money in order to heal. From what I understand, that issue has to do with karma more then anything. I think that one of the precepts of reiki is that there must be some kind of karmaic balance in order for a reiki session to be most effective. Basically, it is considered wrong to get something for nothing if that makes any sense. It does not have to be money, but one of the precepts of reiki is that there must be some sort of exchange to preserve the karmaic balance right off the bat. I believe the other precept is that the person who recieves the healing must ask for it in some way shape or form.

This makes absolutely NO sense. Karma is a concept similar to the Western concept 'causality'. The term 'karmic balance' is gibberish in a Buddhist context.

I've had two sessions now and it's odd, but I can definitely feel something happening, the energy buzz through my body is insane, and the man's hands are like radiators!

It's all in your head. There's not literally any energy being transferred between his hands and your body. It would be easily measurable, yet nobody attempting to do so has been able to demonstrate any physical reality changes. Someone else can stick their hand between his and your skin and they aren't going to feel anything. I have felt a warmth emanating from a Reiki practitioner's hands, due to the power of suggestion, the first time.

This led me to believe that the most logical and rational view is that there is a consciousness existing outside of humans or life. That the universe must have started with a form of consciouness that we, as creations of the universe, reflect. In considering this, my current working hypothesis is that the universe itself as a whole is a consciousness and, rather than being a separate consciousness from us, we are fragments of that consciousness and, in fact, that consciousness is the sum of the consciousness of all the separate fragments.

Sri Isopanisad: Invocation
oḿ pūrṇam adaḥ pūrṇam idaḿ
pūrṇāt pūrṇam udacyate
pūrṇasya pūrṇam ādāya
pūrṇam evāvaśiṣyate

SYNONYMS
oḿ — the Complete Whole; pūrṇam — perfectly complete; adaḥ — that; pūrṇam — perfectly complete; idam — this phenomenal world; pūrṇāt — from the all-perfect; pūrṇam — complete unit; udacyate — is produced; pūrṇasya — of the Complete Whole; pūrṇam — completely, all; ādāya — having been taken away; pūrṇam — the complete balance; eva — even; avaśiṣyate — is remaining.

TRANSLATION
The Personality of Godhead is perfect and complete, and because He is completely perfect, all emanations from Him, such as this phenomenal world, are perfectly equipped as complete wholes. Whatever is produced of the Complete Whole is also complete in itself. Because He is the Complete Whole, even though so many complete units emanate from Him, He remains the complete balance.
=D

Perhaps you are correct. Perhaps it DOES blind me to it. Perhaps someday I will let go of logic and reason and then see what you are talking about and recognize its indisputable truth on some gut level. And then come back on here and post, "Oh, I was wrong, logic and reason do necessarily side-track you from enlightenment." But I just don't see how you can be so sure of that just because you have come to a (presumably) enlightened state of mind without following a path of logic and reason.
I believe you're quite right. There must be logical & reasonable ways to describe real things. To say otherwise is madness, imho.
Faith also has logic and reason to it.
Blind faith doesn't.
One has to be informed... failing that, extremely lucky.

I've experience with Reiki. It's good. Whether or not the associated ritualesque techniques are objectively valid remains to be seen. A very good question.

Among monks, prayer positioned hands are a common form of greeting, saying goodbye, offering thanks, respect, humility, etc... Is the motion objectively valid? One of my teachers explained that there's subtle energy pathways leading from the heart, down the arms and out the palms of the hand. When these paths are connected via prayer position, the heart chakra opens. Try it. You may feel awkward doing this to people if not used to it because we're soft and loving inside our hearts, which tends to shine through external identity. A little ego death of sorts.
Ones intention with this gesture definitely influences the effect, but I believe an objective result towards the end I described above can be measured.

To address the issue of reiki practicioners requiring money in order to heal. From what I understand, that issue has to do with karma more then anything. I think that one of the precepts of reiki is that there must be some kind of karmaic balance in order for a reiki session to be most effective. Basically, it is considered wrong to get something for nothing if that makes any sense. It does not have to be money, but one of the precepts of reiki is that there must be some sort of exchange to preserve the karmaic balance right off the bat. I believe the other precept is that the person who recieves the healing must ask for it in some way shape or form.
I've heard this before, and in some ways may be valid, but not necessary. The gift of giving reiki is its own reward. The exhange of money, in my experience, dampens its effect.

I believe that Reiki can catalyze healing in certain people - the mind is a powerful instrument. However, my skepticism remains in line with the majority of posters here.

My first encounter with Reiki was in an outpatient pediatric clinic, when a 12 year old boy showed up with a complicated orbital blowout fracture (fractured bone below the eyeball). The boy's father had left the hospital against medical advice when told that his son would need surgery. The boy was subsequently kept at home overnight and taken to a Reiki practitioner before being brought to the clinic. Imaging from the hospital showed protrusion of surrounding tissues into the fracture, including a trapped eye muscle, which caused intense pain, double vision, and prevented him from being able to avert his gaze superiorly. Failure to free the trapped muscle could result in permanent eye mobility problems. His father again insisted that he did not need surgery, and that he planned on returning to the Reiki practitioner. Fortunately, I believe the mother convinced the father that surgery was necessary and the fracture was repaired the next morning.

While this whole episode was shocking and revolting to me as a medical student, I suppose the flip side of the coin is that overtreatment is an enormous problem in western medicine. There are certainly many times when a patient would benefit by not undergoing surgery or a certain therapy. I have plenty of terrible stories of people being harmed by western medicine. I suppose there's a balance to be found. While I think there's no replacement for a skilled MD, Reiki, as with many alternative healing therapies, could be suitable for many ailments when people buy into its transformative power.