Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Rehab/Detox

footscrazy

Bluelight Crew
I want to hear about experiences in detox or rehab in Australia.

I think rehab is often seen as a cure for drug addiction, especially by drug naive people. In reality, it seems to just provide a safer haven away from drug availability and many triggers to use. That can be important, but in my experience rehabs/detox can only provide a more conducive environment for recovery; the hard work of recovering is still up to the individual - there just seems to be no getting away from the fact that addiction is fucking tough to beat, and requires a lot of commitment, pain, blood, sweat and tears from the addict.

Anyway, I'm interested to know what people think about rehabs and detox. Do you think they're an effective treatment for drug problems/addiction? Which ones have you been to, and have they been in any way effective for you?

I've been to detox twice, though never rehab. Both were for methamphetamine and alcohol use. The first time I spent 2 weeks at the Windana youth community house. This place was fucking awesome, and I can't speak highly enough of it. The staff were all great and very interactive; as ex addicts very knowledgable as well. This centre has a focus on natural therapies including herbal supplements, reiki, good food and regular exercise. It's also activity based, so we were taken on outings every day to shit like the healvesville sanctuary, swimming pool, horse riding and national parks. After living a druggie, bummy life for years this place gave me opportunities to do stuff like that I just would never have had otherwise. 3.5 years later, I still look back on my time there with such fond memories.

I went to Moreland Hall the 2nd time, and although I was still underage I begged to be let into an adult facility and this is where I ended up. Completely different from my first experience - I felt this centre almost treated its residents with contempt. It was much more clinical, there were little to no activities or opportunities to leave the residence. I felt they had no understanding of ice withdrawal - they seemed to be pissed off that I wanted to sleep, banging on my door to wake me many times a day and generally just showing little insight or compassion to the pain of withdrawal.

Overall, I've found detox of very little use for meth withdrawal - I think detox is much more useful for opiate/alcohol/benzo withdrawal - those withdrawals with a significant physical component, that require medical intervention.

Any other experiences...?

Long term counselling with a therapist is the best cure IMO for someone who suffers from psychological dependency.

Physically dependent patients are best monitored closely in an either outpatient/inpatient (usually for the Alcoholics) due to the risk of DT's/other adverse problems (such as vomiting and shitting yaself at the same time).

Trust me brother, it takes a shitload of willpower to resist the temptation, and that is why you need to find a counselor and talk shit through with him/her.

Psychological dependence is a tough one to treat. Marijuana/Amps etc. etc. are considered a lifestyle among the many addicts out there, whereas physiologically dependent patients usually tend to keep their habit a secret.

Lol Squiggle I love how you claim here that people need help from professionals, but you've just started a thread claiming you will kick your own benzo habit with just exercise and meditation.

Footscrazy, thanks for sharing your experience. I also would be interested to hear of other people's experiences with different treatment centres.

Trust me brother, it takes a shitload of willpower to resist the temptation, and that is why you need to find a counselor and talk shit through with him/her.

Footscrazy's actually a chick. ;) It is pretty funny, and I am as guilty as anyone else on here, the way that everyone just tends to assume that posters on here are all male.

Sorry that was a bit OT, no experiences of detox or rehab of my own to share.

^ There's girls on Bluelight!? Awesome. ;)

I haven't been to detox, they wanted me to for... codeine. 8)

But I refused.

Good thing I didn't tell them about everything else. :D

I have been to a psychologist a lot which included discussion about drug use, and a drug and alcohol counselor. The D&A guy didn't help too much, maybe because it was a 'youth' type service which can be good but I felt wasn't for me.

The psychologist though helped a lot with not just drug use, but anxiety, stress, and getting back to functioning normally after a very bad episode of mental illness.

^ There's girls on Bluelight!? Awesome.

I haven't been to detox, they wanted me to for... codeine.

But I refused.

Good thing I didn't tell them about everything else.

I have been to a psychologist a lot which included discussion about drug use, and a drug and alcohol counselor. The D&A guy didn't help too much, maybe because it was a 'youth' type service which can be good but I felt wasn't for me.

The psychologist though helped a lot with not just drug use, but anxiety, stress, and getting back to functioning normally after a very bad episode of mental illness.

Giggity.

Yeah, there's a lot of girls on BL...Ashstorm for 1.

Blondey Boy, how did the psychologist help you out with your anxiety stress levels? Did you go and visit an accredited psychologist who is board-certified within Queensland? How was the counselor? D&A Counselor already explained and fuck rehab! I mean, rehab is largely dominated in population for alcoholics. You aren't on the Subutex/Subuxone program are ya Blondey?

One day, I hope to be a drug and alcohol counselor (doing Psych at the moment, can't be fucked doing Honours, title's don't mean shit to me), while, one day, completing a Bachelor of Nursing, so I can work as a Psychiatric *cough* male *cough* Nurse.

Gaaaaaeeeeeeeeeewwwd knows that I've been through the rough shit mentally and dependency on chemicals, so I could related to my patients on a personal level.

^ No not on any program. I just used will power.

Yes, she is an accredited psychologist. The group she works with is also used by the state government for their HR needs sometimes and they also did the work-ups on possible contestants for Big Brother. Whatever credit that gives them. ;)

Anyway, first of all she taught me how to calm myself down when I need to: breathing, relaxation exercises, etc... which helped with sleep and when anxiety feels overwhelming.

For social anxiety, we talked about what thoughts run through my head and then looked at why they were irrational. She set me goals to reach with interacting with people again, breaking through boundaries, as well as helping me deal with the memories that were plaguing me at the time.

Post-psychosis we had to go back over a lot of the anxiety issues again, but also had to work on making me function from day to day. This took a while, and there was a set back when my best friend died, but eventually I built my way back up and now I am free from depression and anxiety and have never felt better. I've got a great girlfriend, a great job and for once I am really sure I can achieve my goals for the future if I want. :)

As for the D&A Counselor... he was a really nice guy, and what he was talking about made a lot of sense to me. No one there had ever heard of a CWE before though. But from our interactions, I just felt as though he was used to teenagers who were dragged there by their parents after being caught smoking pot; for a real addiction there wasn't much that I took away from it.

This was a public youth service, and I was referred there by my psychiatrists who I have not seen for a long while. The psychiatrists did nothing for my functioning or anxiety, they just wanted to try endless antipsychotics that made me so tired I couldn't do anything and made me feel very anxious indeed.

I have been to rehab in 2007 for 3 months and it was the best thing I have ever done in my life.

I was on methadone for 4 years and shotting up ice, heroin, and a number of substance in Canberra and basically just a horrible person and complete addict. Used to sell fake powder to kids, stole jewlerry from my mum, petty crime the whole shabang.

Anyways I went to the buttery on the North NSW coast. I had to detox and spent the first few weeks there still coming of buprenorphine. After that I had the hardest but most rewarding time, and got some serious therapy. The place is all run by ex addicts (who have been clean for years), and I really learnt some stuff about myself.

The course is 8 months but I left after 3 cause I was 23 and told them that I should leave because the course was getting serious and I told them that I was not prepared to stop smoking weed and drinking when I left and the course is abstinence based and very much in tune with AA and NA philosophies.

After leaving I moved to Syd and started drinking heavily but that only lasted a few months and now I smoke weed, take psyches, and drink a bit. I do however have a successful career, a fiance, great friends, a healthy active physical life. Wheras before rehab I was shooting up daily, in debt, living at home with parents or the streets or couch, getting bashed often from ripping people of stealing, but the worst thing was I a fuckin sad, lonley depressed being and was seriously considering hurting myself becuase I just could not get out of addit mindset.

So I what rehab did for me was let me be clean for enough time for my brain to start thinking rationally and realise that if I keep living this life i'm going to be fuckin unhappy or dead.

It wasn't easy when I left and I went to kings cross about 3 times in the last 3 years and scored a shot of smack, but luckily it was horrible scoring and I felt so depressed after cause of the happniess I felt clean was so great after being fucked up for so long and didn't go back. Also meeting my fiance also helped keep my away from needles/smack/ice. But I never would have been able to meet her and go out had I not gone to rehab and got straight, cause I probably would have stole her phone and gone to the dealer.

Anyways the rehab I went to was the best thing I ever did in my life and it I believe it saved my life.

I still party a lot but I stricyly keep to psyches as they help better yourself if taken properly, and smoke weed and drink a bit too much so I'm no angel but I can manage my life now and I'm not this possessed junkie running around looking for a fix.

I never thought I could change at the time but I did and as I said it was not easy but I did it and I could not have done it without that 3 months in The Buttery.

I have been back to The Buttery once since leaving in 07 but it was to thank them.

Sorry for the rant but I feel so strongly about the experience.

Spiritfolk

^ Thanks for sharing brother, it's glad you've managed to get back into sober life... that was the hardest part for me, what to do after cutting down? What to do with that time? How to get functional again?

My Dad went to a 'farm' as they used to call it back in the 70's or early 80's I believe... I think court ordered but he never talked about it much so I don't know what it was like.

AlAnon is Scientology bullshit, whereas AA/NA are all brainwashing methods to convert alcohol/drug addicts in to Christian's.

^^ once again posting about something you obviously have no idea about Mr Squiggle,

AA NA has absolutley nothing to do with christianity. It asks people to look to a higher power which is what ever you want it to be whether it is religion or whether it is a rehab, or a sport. A higher power in the AA NA sense could be looking to your family or even the memory of a loved one. It is anything you can call on emotitionally to get you through the hardships of addiction.

I don't attend NA and AA anymore becuase they are abstinence based and there is no point showing up to a meeting and doing half the program.

Some people think it is brain washing and it is to certain extent but when your life is on the line it is better to be a clean/sober brainwashed addict for some people then to keep using, cause to keep using will mean certain pain, and could result in death.

Try going to a meeting Mr Squiggle while you are trying to get of Benzo's and doing your exercise regime, there are plenty around and the are free. It might not be for you and that is ok, but you might actually learn something that betters yourself, and there if you are serious about getting of the benzo's then it is worth a try.

Peace.

Detoxed at Wellington house in Box Hill bout 4/5 years ago. Long story short I met a girl in there for the same reasons as I was. We were released the same day and we didn't continue onto rehab. We spent the next 2 weeks binging on all the shit we spent our time in there to get off and more.

Also you can meet many contacts in there, as many are in just for a court order or even just a roof over their head for a week or so.

I thought it was a great place with plenty of support and the staff's advice on where to go after, but did not work for me. I'm sure it would work for some, but IMO it needs to be followed by some extensive rehab.

I'm currently doing a home Detox.... 7th day clean! I see Dr's everyday sometimes 3 different types eg. withdrawlal nurses, gp, phych. nurses and psych Dr's.Not sure how long this will last but it all depends on you're will power. Now I'm afraid I'll end up with an even nastier benzo addiction that I had before. (Coming off alcohol this time)

In conclusion I think a detox needs to be followed up by some extensive rehab with programes that will re-program you over some time, but you really really want to have to stop and this unfortunately means cutting most you're friends right out of your life and a complete new start.

Just my 2 cents. :)

edit: Could have elaborated more on the methods they use inside but I'm way zoned out and interletuallity (is that even a word) has never been my strong point and agreed a simple detox did nothing for my old meth habbit...

Last edited:
Detoxed at Wellington house in Box Hill bout 4/5 years ago. Long story short I met a girl in there for the same reasons as I was. We were released the same day and we didn't continue onto rehab. We spent the next 2 weeks binging on all the shit we spent our time in there to get off and more.

Also you can meet many contacts in there, as many are in just for a court order or even just a roof over their head for a week or so.

I thought it was a great place with plenty of support and the staff's advice on where to go after, but did not work for me. I'm sure it would work for some, but IMO it needs to be followed by some extensive rehab.

I'm currently doing a home Detox.... 7th day clean! I see Dr's everyday sometimes 3 different types eg. withdrawlal nurses, gp, phych. nurses and psych Dr's.Not sure how long this will last but it all depends on you're will power. Now I'm afraid I'll end up with an even nastier benzo addiction that I had before. (Coming off alcohol this time)

In conclusion I think a detox needs to be followed up by some extensive rehab with programes that will re-program you over some time, but you really really want to have to stop and this unfortunately means cutting most you're friends right out of your life and a complete new start.

Just my 2 cents. :)

edit: Could have elaborated more on the methods they use inside but I'm way zoned out and interletuallity (is that even a word) has never been my strong point and agreed a simple detox did nothing for my old meth habbit...

Sorry everyone to bring up an old thread but I found this on google when i typed in Wellington house.
To Azron - I'm assuming you were in for Benzos from what you posted.
I'm going in for Xanax.

Few questions, It's only a 7 day stay I don't see how I'm meant to wean off Xanax & go onto Valium when i've been on it for about 8 years and my tolerance is all over the shot.
Also, they said they don't give out Klonopin over there. Valium doesn't affect me they just said they will try a different benzo.
When I got assessed I mentioned this to them but they did not have any idea just talking about climbing over mountains and the usual
bullshit talk. But i suppose they dont really know as much as the people in wellington.

How is it in there?

Thanks

I have done detox twice, in a clinic setting anyway first was for meth, second was complicated opiates, xanax,diazepam & yet again meth this second was quite successfull then went straight out the door into a 8 week in house rehab & whilst I learned a lot & now have a full time job that I love a little more respect from family, However I'm not clean in the sense that I'm still on pharmacotherapy (mdone) and drink a little alcohol accasional meth once every couple of months.

AlAnon is Scientology bullshit, whereas AA/NA are all brainwashing methods to convert alcohol/drug addicts in to Christian's.

I agree, and the Buttery was like a prison!!, 25ciggies a day, awake at 8am, and NA/AA brainwashed BS. Guru land, people ran around hugging each other and singing the NA chants lol. Pharmatherapy is better if you ask me, in fact do what works find it yourself, I just wasn't into all these meetings so depressing, Rehabs remind me of Dr Pinksy and Celeb rehab my way or the highway. Another rehab i did was like a crazy lunatic asylum, people popping pills left right and centre, and no 24hr staff, so you can imagine what went down, the clients were having sex just a shamble lol.

DUNNO - It was many years ago I went to Wellington House so shit might have changed there. It's a good place to Detox. It's not Re-Hab. You wont get over your Xanax addiction there because it's not the point of Detox. When I was there, the meds. that they dispense is whatever your referring Dr. tells them to give you and there certainly was Rivotril there. (Although the patient on it was possibly epileptic)

They will slowly wean you of Xanax and are probably limited to swapping onto just Valium as Detox. is just the catylist before you go to long term rehab. if you choose. I only know of 2 rehabs that take people on Benzos and that is Odyssey houses circuit breaker (6 weeks re-hab before going to Odyssey in Lower Plenty Melbourne where no benzo's are allowed. You work with the dr. at circuit breaker to come off everything before going to Melbourne, and then theres M.A.R.P... which u can go into on a 10mg a day (diaz.) only with the intention of ceasing completly. There are no other rehabs i know of in Vic or NSW that will take you still on benzo's at all. If you want to get of Xanax completly then a simple 7 - 10 day detox. such as wellington house won't work for you.

I have done Odyssey houses circuit breaker (6 weeks) 3 times now. It is generally what it says. A circuit breaker. U then get a clean pass and bed to their sister house in Melbourne in Lower Plenty for long term rehab. Odyssey house is probably the hardest and moast intense rehab there is but it works. (Not that I chose long term rehab.)

Getting of any Benzo is a bitch because nowhere will take you and I believe they dont understand just how damn hard it is to get off the shit.... especially shit like alprazolam.

Wellington House is (was when I was there) a great place to detox. but for years of Xanax use... It probably wont do you much good.
Try calling a place called Re-connexion in Glen Iris. Google will have their number. Hope some of this made sense and helped a it....

I wish I kept a diary to post here when i did my 3 6week courses at Odysseys circuit breaker in the country. It would be a very intresting read.

For anyone serious about getting clean and staying clean i recommend Odyssey House. Trust me, I'm an addict.

It's hard fucking work. Real hard. But it's supposed to be. You also get your life back...

Last edited:
There is also alot of bullshit on here regarding AA and NA. Fully agree with AlAnnon, stay away from there, but theres and old AA/NA saying which is 'Take the cotton wool out of your ears and put it in your mouth'

Wat you put in is what you get out.