• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Treatment Rehab & Detox Clinics: Share your experiences

This is an industry that should be private and socialized. The fact that it is big business is scary. How do you make more money in the privatized model? You offer less services, pay people less (which leads to massive job dissatisfaction) and charge people a lot more which makes it unattainable for quite a few people that genuinely need it. If state rehabs were actually funded better they would be okay.

you don't even wanna know the state of things here in south africa regarding either super big company driven - the Akiso franchise here, has about 20 or something rehabs now in south africa, all generic and extremely profit driven. but i can post a review. and indicate places to avoid based on things i've heard.
Noupoort Christian Care Centre : no drugs for detoxes - even benzodiazepines, corporal punishment still used in the CI block, been over 6 deaths since it's opening I'm probably being conservative there as those were the only publicised ones. So I'd avoid that one at all costs.
I had a good experience at a very private rehab - since bought and transformed into a generic franchise. But will maybe take a look and see just how much it's changed since being sold to this big corporation.

but yeah there are a fe good ones left, just not near me, like a greyhound away ya dig.

Last edited:
you don't even wanna know the state of things here in south africa regarding either super big company driven - the Akiso franchise here, has about 20 or something rehabs now in south africa, all generic and extremely profit driven. but i can post a review. and indicate places to avoid based on things i've heard.
Noupoort Christian Care Centre : no drugs for detoxes - even benzodiazepines, corporal punishment still used in the CI block, been over 6 deaths since it's opening I'm probably being conservative there as those were the only publicised ones. So I'd avoid that one at all costs.
I had a good experience at a very private rehab - since bought and transformed into a generic franchise. But will maybe take a look and see just how much it's changed since being sold to this big corporation.

but yeah there are a fe good ones left, just not near me, like a greyhound away ya dig.

Thank you my friend frim South Africa! I studied the history of your country for two years in college, so you can imagine that I am pleased to see your post.

How are drug addicts treated in your country? Does it vary based on race/class/gender/ethnicity like it does in my country?

I was a heroin addict and was in a methadone clinic.... Eventually I just got sick of seeing all the dread at methadone clinic, and decided to go to rehab.

Rehab was a bit of an adjustment , but in time I came to love it. There is a bit of phoniness you have to get adjusted to , but its all for the best and leads to a lot of REAL change... Group therapy helped me a lot , as did AA. I made some of the best friends in my life in that place and even met some girls for which I got processed for being "too close" with....

when I got out of rehab I went and partied one night and did a line of molly and smoked some weed and later that night I felt so guilty I broke down and prayed to god for forgiveness. I knew I was falling right back into my old ways far too soon. I've been taking kratom daily and I know that's a mistake as well, its just very difficult to say no to when its so available.

I would recommend rehab to anyone who really really wants to change. The name of the place I went to "Alpine Recovery Lodge" in alpine Utah (no its not the one lindsy lohan went to, but its just as good) you can get obamacare to cover it as well.

I have never told anyone this so this will be good to share what happened to me when I decided that my prescription pain medicine use was getting out of control.

Called a detox center in NY to see if they had a bed. They did. I told my husband my plan to go detox and take it from there. I left with a sense of hope. Got to the detox/rehab place ready to just get myself cleaned. After the long process of getting signed in and telling my story, I had to do a urine test.
You only tested positive for percocet
the nurse told me. Yes. That is my problem. I'm eating 15 a day, I told her with saddens.
You don't take crack, heroin, cocaine even bath salts? she asked me with this look that made me feel like I had no business being there.

I actually felt guilty that my issue was prescription pills only and it made up my mind that I really didn't have a problem.

I lasted 4 hours.

It could have been the best place on earth but if you "just" take prescription pills some nurse makes you feel like your wasting their time.

that shouldn't happen. I think maybe she was surprised that you were stopping then rather than letting your disease progress. She is probably used to seeing people coming in their with their ass on fire, or being forced to go in due to legal trouble.

that's your fault, why cut off your nose despite your face? You should be in it for you. . . stop trying to live up to other peoples expectations , and be accountable to no one but yourself

So I go into a place believing I'm at my worst and pretty much made to feel like I'm taking up precious space with my little old pill problem and I'm cutting off my nose? Not really. I'm seeing steps ahead and believe I won't get the full care because "that's all I have in my system." Nice try with the tough talk. I have 3 adult children, you will have to try a little harder than that. Oh, and I live up to my expectations only and took the steps to get off my pills and surround myself with a team of truly supportive people no matter the level of addiction. All addicts start at the same road and end at the same road if they don't detour. If you treat one different than the other then you have no business being in business of getting addicts clean.

I have never told anyone this so this will be good to share what happened to me when I decided that my prescription pain medicine use was getting out of control.

Called a detox center in NY to see if they had a bed. They did. I told my husband my plan to go detox and take it from there. I left with a sense of hope. Got to the detox/rehab place ready to just get myself cleaned. After the long process of getting signed in and telling my story, I had to do a urine test.
You only tested positive for percocet
the nurse told me. Yes. That is my problem. I'm eating 15 a day, I told her with saddens.
You don't take crack, heroin, cocaine even bath salts? she asked me with this look that made me feel like I had no business being there.

I actually felt guilty that my issue was prescription pills only and it made up my mind that I really didn't have a problem.

I lasted 4 hours.

It could have been the best place on earth but if you "just" take prescription pills some nurse makes you feel like your wasting their time.

I'm sorry you went through that - it's frustrating. I had a similar experience back in 2010. I voluntarily went to rehab for benzodiazapines (had a legitimate prescription) and alcohol. I also had a full time job, house, etc. I didn't feel like staff or the other addicts really took me seriously because in their opinion my life wasn't a mess, even though I was taking pills and drinking 20 beers a night (I'm a short thin woman - 20 beers was a ridiculous amount lol). I almost felt guilty for being there, but I stayed because I couldn't quit on my own, and I didn't want my life to suffer more than it already had. Why should I be penalized because I was trying to be responsible and mitigate the situation before I lost everything, right? It was ackward but a very good learning experience. It certainly gave me insight into addiction and taught me I did not want to live an addicted life. I thought my life was pretty terrible by the time I went to rehab, then I met a bunch of people who showed me it could get a whole lot worse.

Im glad you were able to get off the pills and that you had support. Support makes all the difference in the world imo. Kudos for recognizing the problem before it got to insane levels - I think it is a sign of strength to be able take action gainer addiction before it becomes a worse case senarios situation. I wish you the best!

One thing that is almost constant in almost everyones story is a lack of professionalism from staff. Whether it is from undertraining or some other reason it is really disturbing. Addiction is such a complex disease that it requires clinicians on top of there game to give addicts a chance at recovery. All too often that's not happening.

One thing that is almost constant in almost everyones story is a lack of professionalism from staff. Whether it is from undertraining or some other reason it is really disturbing. Addiction is such a complex disease that it requires clinicians on top of there game to give addicts a chance at recovery. All too often that's not happening.

Very true. I think part of the reason is because many people working in the industry don't understand addiction as they were not addicts themselves, at least in my experience. In both of my rehab experiences I had counsellors who were not addicts, but had an addicted parents so they were familiar but not understanding. A few of them had obvious resentments towards addicts from that were apparent in the way they treated us, and one was a diagnosable narcissist.

Most of these clinics have a high turnover rate that are usually understaffed and underpaid, because they want the largest profit margin. The one I went to had one doctor for 300 patients. We each only saw him once for about five minutes. It was long enough for him to prescribe medications but not really listen to understand our problems. When I saw him he tried to prescribe a different medication, he hadn't even opened my file to see what was going on with me. He assumed I was bipolar as that the the diagnosis just about even one there received, and I had to correct him. It was pretty scary as I thought I was going to be forced to take some pretty heavy meds, as most of the other patients were on antipsychotics, antidepressants, and a slew of other things. Having OCD, I did not need most of the stuff he was getting ready to script me.

I am convinced many of these places just want to process as many people as possible to generate revenue. I also think a lot of them feel that addiction is not something most people can beat so they don't put much effort into it, and view it as a steady revenue source, particularly if people keep coming back.

what i meant wonderlost, is that if you thought you needed help you should've stayed longer than 4 hours because you needed it.... Not because you felt awkward about the level of your addiction in comparison to others

After going down this road of addiction my eyes are truly opened to the stereotype some of the health workers follow. Many times I get that baffled look when they ask my education level. Two college degrees along with many diplomas (I like learning) or when I tell them that I'm here because I want to be and not because of legal issue. Some of us are nurtures. We need it to be about us to be honest. I have no doubt that I showed signs.
I told one worker that I know that I am not at the point of putting a needle in my arm but how long before I do? We had a pain doctor in my area who lost his license and almost 7k patients were without their medicines. Do you know the health leader actually got on TV and said "this is a good time for you all to get off your pain medicine and learn to live without them" I started yelling the TV to the fright of my family. I did it because that could be me. I could lose my script and take a trip to the city where I know to make me feel better would be cheaper than pills.
You are correct the system for drug abuse and recovery is all about profit. I know there are many places that care but I am always leery about a business that is only a big business due to the misfortunes of others.These workers are fresh from college with no clue what an addiction is. That has to change. No matter where we start we are all on the same road. Part of me wants to come out on the other side so I can one day say to someone "are you okay?" whether they are full blown addiction or hiding it.
I apologize if I sound a little snippy with my previous reply. I'm still learning how to process emotions without being high.
I appreciate all the replies. This place has been a huge part of my life and trying to finally be free.

I want a career change because my body just isn't cut out for the work I've been doing the last 16 years (at one job). Pondering for months now I felt Working with addiction would be right up my alley. After reading post like yours makes me even more eager to start to look into this. At the moment I can only ponder but come the end of August I can get this ball rolling.
i believe anyone working with addicts needs to know addiction and the power it has on an individual. Sometimes I think it should be bias when hiring people because as said in posts above it is all about capitalism and not being compassionate.
I feel an addict really can help an other addict due to the understanding of what we go through.

I think you should follow your heart and look farther into it. If the seed has been planted in your heart to do it, then let it grow. You know when it becomes more than a thought. We need more people who have been thought what we have to make some type of change on a field that desperately needs it.

@wander: You are so right! I have heard your story told so many times. When I went to rehab, I checked myself in. I was one of three or four that were there voluntarily. Some of the people that were not their voluntarily actually were detrimental to other's recovery due to telling war stories and planning relapse as soon as they get out. I was fortunate that two of the rehabs I went to were pretty exceptional. Syracuse Behavioral Healthcare (www.sbh.org), and Lifestream (http://www.lsbc.net/home.aspx). What they had in common was they were based on behavioral healthcare, and they had not to many patients. They also had lots of doctors. Unfortunately most of the techs were fresh out of school, but some of the techs were recovering addicts.

Addicts are the last group of people that can be openly discriminated against without fear of reprisal. That statement is truly terrible because addicts generally just need some support and compassion to get back on their feet. No one wants to be an addict, especially when you get to the point that I was at. It is a scary lifestyle and due to legislation it can ruin your chances of holding steady employment or voting because in most places small amounts of a schedule 1 or 2 drug results in felony charges.

On topic: When looking for a rehab always ask if they are twelve step, or christian based (usually these are horrible and more abusive than helpful) or behavioral and mental healthcare based. This will save you a lot of money and trouble.

Name:Serino ClinicPlace:paarl Winelands western cape south africaCost:Expensive(medical Aid/insurance)Went for 21 days.Its a wonderful place.I was a codeine and benzo addict 7yrs and the treatment they gave was in my favour(I honestly wasn't ready to quit)the gave me my meds that I used(taper me down but gave substitute meds that actually gave me a better high)I saw the dr whenever I requested(a lot)and usually when I asked for stronger doses of new meds shed give it.I enjoyed the activities,met great positive people was just in general in a good space.by second week I realised its not a holiday so I quit cold turkey asked my dr to stop codeine,benzos and just drank my(still don't think I am bipolar meds)long stroy short.the place,drs,activities,people and food is Excellent.I just fucked it up because I was forced to go not my choice..I left with a list of prescriptions and monthly meds..So basically they gave me a new high..I read up on bipolar and told them what they wanted to hear to get certain meds.I abused my new meds to Zombie point..in the end it took myself to throw the shit away stand strong and quit I did it 2yrs back and I'm not risking addiction again..not every method works for everyone.I took for granted what someone else needed.

@Moreaux

I'm curious about your experience with rehab for a benzo / alcohol addiction. I actually made a thread a few months ago as I was considering it for a high dose clonazepam dependance and wanted to get away and taper in an 'easier' environment than real life. I also thought it'd be a good way to learn some skills about addiction in general, as I've gotten off benzo's before but have a very addictive personality and tend to replace them with something.

I even received abuse from a member here for asking, as it's not a 'real' addiction. Although it was a tiny minority and quickly handled by moderators.

After reaching out to a number of inpatient rehabs I decided not to go ahead with it for benzo's. Mainly due to the the tapering schedules proposed. Some consulted with their Psychiatrists on staff and gave me a rough tapering schedule that would be used in my circumstances.

Most said something like "I can't give you an example as it's up to the Dr, but he's very experienced! we get people off benzo's straight away!!

None could agree on a taper beforehand - ultimately it would be up to the doctor when I arrive which I didn't want to leave to chance. Most talked about prescribing anti psychotics / antidepressants as well. When I stated my goal was to just get off benzo's the response was generally the same, we can't help it's up to the (prescribing) doctor, and you have to take whatever is prescribed. In all cases the prescribing Dr's weren't on staff full time, even at the higher end places I contacted.

-----

Anyway I've gone off topic but would be interested in your experiences - length of time, taper schedule that was used.
Cheers.

I've been to rehab a couple times, and i've found that when i went to a treatment center that was Co-Ed, i spent all my time flirting with the girls. I really got a lot out of the whole rehab experience when i went to an all-male treatment center.