• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tapering Regarding Valium Taper/withdrawal timeline

BourbonMac

Bluelighter
Apologies in advance if I seem to be posting a lot of threads (first time in this particular forum). I just figured it would be most relevant here.

So from 12/30 - 1/11 I took: 2-4mg daily (15 day supply, I ran out early due to not finding 2mg sufficient especially during a prednisone course. YIKES)

And from 1/12 - 1/21 I am taking 5mg-10mg a day (10 day supply) -- though, due to concerns of withdrawal over taking it in a 2 week period, I have just broken the remainder of my pills in half with the intent of skipping doses altogether or taking them in quarters (depending on whether or not I run into gut issues.)

I don't know how long valium can be used before withdrawal can set in, as I have never used benzos until this recently. There is much conflicting information online regarding the time it takes, especially based on dosage, for withdrawal to be possible. It seems this is more of an issue with benzos like Xanax? But I know Valium has a long half-life. I had considered one more refill of 2mg tablets after this, but I think that's the drug trying to convince me to use just a little bit more although I may just be paranoid (I am, I never wanted to mess with this class of meds, but it was my doctor's suggestion and it has mostly been beneficial)

So, how long can valium actually be used before you're in danger of withdrawal, and am I at the dosage I've been on?

I suppose this question also applies with Gabapentin. I've taken 600mg daily since October of 2020, and although I can go days without taking any, I don't know if that means I'm clear to stop taking it without withdrawal or simply take it once or twice a week instead as an anxiety med. It seems a lot safer overall, even if there is still risk of similar withdrawals. Though some people don't seem to get them at all. I understand pregalabin withdrawl is much worse since that drug is so much better absorbed.

(The rest is not entirely relevant to the above questions, but I wanted to share it regardless)

Due to health concerns with my sinuses and chronic pain as a result, my anxiety was through the roof the past month. And a bad experience with a recent course of antibiotics, combined with undereating/inconsistent eating had really screwed with my gut. I discovered after going on valium that my gut issues subsided rapidly, at least while on it. At first I was hopeful it was this ginger root extract I was taking, but I quickly realized it was the valium, which was a little disappointing. But it allowed me to continue eating through a period where I otherwise could not.

I cannot deny I have enjoyed the effects some but not to a great degree, and as it ramps up in my blood, it's becoming a little... weird to say the least. I feel slow, I'm not sleeping as well, and it's like I get hit with episodes of sleep paralysis. That said, I do have an addictive personality. I would say moderate compared to many with addictive personalities as I've never gotten into heavier drugs. Though I was quite a bad drinker from 19-23 (just turned 28, about to be 2 years sober). In the end a degree of guilt follows me after I find myself abusing things, and this caught up to me with the Valium. Even though I'm not enjoying the effects much now I've still found reasons to take a little here and there, more than necessarily. I really don't need more than 1-2mg to deal with my gut issues when they present and they are already improving by themselves anyway.

Tonight has been sort of a breaking point in terms of that guilt. I realized in the past week or two I've spent so much time reading about drugs. I've always been fascinated by them, but it's taken up time that I would've spent listening to music, reading about music and music history, playing video games. It's understandable that all the pain I've been in has made it easy to justify using anything that can help me feel better. Having to go on leave due to a covid scare (negative thankfully) also set me back, but I resume full time work starting next Monday and I cannot fucking WAIT. Winter and it's horrible cold, short days and general isolation from friends/family over this whole pandemic has not helped. But ESPECIALLY fuck winter. To those of you who don't experience it: you are so lucky.

My drug of choice is marijuana which I had to put on hold due to my sinus issues, likely to do with a mild allergy that agitated my sinuses. I also use kratom daily around 6g a day, a habit I intend to break at some point, but it's been beneficial for a variety of reasons. THC in general is what has kept me grounded as far as substance abuse goes, but even that I was never consuming heavily (an 8th every 10-14 days). And ultimately it's always been what I fall back on when my anxiety gets bad. It allows me to sit back, enter my mind, and realize what it is I have been doing right and wrong in my life. It's an addiction I can live with, and being in a legal state makes it even easier. I am absolutely head over heels with Mary Jane, it's culture and I always will be.

I lost 15 pounds in a month due to the depression/anxiety regarding my sinus condition and the chronic pain it was causing (for reference, I am 6"1, 120 pounds now). Fortunately it's beginning to calm down, but I will likely need surgery to drain the maxillary sinuses in 2 months or so regardless. Continuing through a course of nasal sprays and a neti-pot type rinse. I was having immense pressure in my upper teeth from the pressure in my sinuses which has improved quite a bit in the past week or so. But my reaction to all of this speaks more to my mental health in general. People live with much worse pains and live happy fulfilling lives. Some of us experience mild physical pain on top of mental pain that we shove in the back of our heads and suddenly, it all comes forward.

Talk to your doctor. Tell him you want to taper off Valium that it's more addictive than you thought it would be. Say "habit-forming" mention that you've been spending an inordinate amount of time researching different techniques for getting off of it because you're concerned about the possibility of negative effects including potential for seizures.

Looking for a 30-day supply of lorazepam with diminishing refills in months 2 & 3

I'm not familiar with lorazepam dosing but essentially it's a benzodiazepine with very little recreational value that will entirely suppress withdrawals without reinforcing that feeling that you need to get high.

I would wait on the Gabapentin until you're in your last few weeks tapering that stuff actually makes all drugs worse it's a bad drug that nobody knows what it's for should tell you everything you need to know about it. Best used only for restless leg syndrome at night when your benzo dose isn't doing it because it's small

Start smoking marijuana again somewhere in there. Indicas. Godspeed

I don't know what your medical condition is but you should eat a lot of yogurt and probiotics which have been f***** from the antibiotics

So, how long can valium actually be used before you're in danger of withdrawal, and am I at the dosage I've been on?
around 1 month seems to be the critical point when physical dependence truly starts to set in. Rebound anxiety typically occurs around 1-3 weeks of use and then it starts turning into actual dependence.

based on your dosages you likely haven't reached that point yet, you will probably experience some minor rebound anxiety, possibly mild insomnia, but not much more. It will mostly be psychological.

It's fairly common for people to focus so much on the rebound anxiety and withdrawal that they actually psychologically precipitate it, creating more anxiety then there would be naturally

you will be fine, you aren't going to have major withdrawal from that amount of benzos over 3 weeks.

your best course of action would be to cut yourself off rather abruptly or switch to something else, maybe a very rapid taper. Your situation does not call for a long taper and that would actually make your situation worse.

valium is one of the easiest benzos to stop due to it's incredibly long half life

my best advice would be to simply cut yourself off and expect NOTHING to happen, compared to preparing for anxiety. Thinking about becoming anxious will make you anxious itself! I've gone through benzo rebound/withdrawal dozens of times and I can conclusively say that it's always easier than I prepare for, other than some very extreme cases, which this is not.

cheers, try not to think about it so much as this is only making it appear worse than it will be

@darvocet21 gave some great pointers too

Last edited:
Talk to your doctor. Tell him you want to taper off Valium that it's more addictive than you thought it would be. Say "habit-forming" mention that you've been spending an inordinate amount of time researching different techniques for getting off of it because you're concerned about the possibility of negative effects including potential for seizures.

Looking for a 30-day supply of lorazepam with diminishing refills in months 2 & 3

I'm not familiar with lorazepam dosing but essentially it's a benzodiazepine with very little recreational value that will entirely suppress withdrawals without reinforcing that feeling that you need to get high.

I would wait on the Gabapentin until you're in your last few weeks tapering that stuff actually makes all drugs worse it's a bad drug that nobody knows what it's for should tell you everything you need to know about it. Best used only for restless leg syndrome at night when your benzo dose isn't doing it because it's small

Start smoking marijuana again somewhere in there. Indicas. Godspeed

I don't know what your medical condition is but you should eat a lot of yogurt and probiotics which have been f***** from the antibiotics
I would love to, marijuana is my drug of choice. You might have missed the part in my post about where I had to put it on hold.

I've smoked weed every day for years. But ever since I got a sinus infection which I'm still struggling to treat (they will likely need to do surgery to drain me out), it worsens all of my pain. I'm not really allergic that I know of, but it shifts around pressure in my eyes or something and worsens my headaches, even edibles. It could be a mild allergy but it would be odd considering I don't get any other allergy symptoms, unless maybe I wipe my eye with some kief by accident, but who wouldn't get an itchy irritated eye from that? It's pure pollen.

I've smoked for almost 11 years and until issues with my sinuses presented in late November, I've never had any of these problems.

I've been doing better with my headaches overall, so I tried a tiny puff from a vape cart last night and it instantly brought the headache right back. I fell into an extreme depression ever since. This is my medicine. This is the drug of all drugs for me. But every time, it makes my pain worse :/ My anxiety and C-PTSD is terrible without it in my life and after that puff gave me a headache last night, I was so fucking defeated. I spent the whole day a complete zombie just wondering, why does it have to be like this? What kind of joke is it that I'm having to take prescription anxiety meds because my natural anxiety meds exaggerate my condition?

Going on doxycycline, my 5th antibiotic in the last 6 months and not expecting any different results, but who knows... I'll do anything at this point to be able to consume THC again because I really do need it. And I don't care if I'm dependent on marijuana, it's a dependency I am willing to live with for the rest of my life because I love it.

The original plan was to go on Cipro which is the most dangerous antibiotic in medicine. I almost did, but the horror stories, and website (ciproispoison.com) made me stay away from it. I tried a weaker antibiotic in the same class 2 months ago and within 2 days, half my toes were swollen, hard and purple, and my left wrist was in severe pain out of nowhere, which I found out is a sign that you need to stop taking it immediately or risk permanent damage. Yeah.

Same warnings for Cipro. It turns out I was actually on Cipro several times as a kid for different sinus infections and never had any side effects (that I knew of, I was just a kid), lucky me. Some people have lost the use of arms, legs, or both and become completely disabled by it.

The fact that I even considered going on this just to be able to smoke weed again should tell you about where I'm at mentally without marijuana.

I would love to, marijuana is my drug of choice. You might have missed the part in my post about where I had to put it on hold.

I've smoked weed every day for years. But ever since I got a sinus infection which I'm still struggling to treat (they will likely need to do surgery to drain me out), it worsens all of my pain. I'm not really allergic that I know of, but it shifts around pressure in my eyes or something and worsens my headaches, even edibles. It could be a mild allergy but it would be odd considering I don't get any other allergy symptoms, unless maybe I wipe my eye with some kief by accident, but who wouldn't get an itchy irritated eye from that? It's pure pollen.

I've smoked for almost 11 years and until issues with my sinuses presented in late November, I've never had any of these problems.

I've been doing better with my headaches overall, so I tried a tiny puff from a vape cart last night and it instantly brought the headache right back. I fell into an extreme depression ever since. This is my medicine. This is the drug of all drugs for me. But every time, it makes my pain worse :/ My anxiety and C-PTSD is terrible without it in my life and after that puff gave me a headache last night, I was so fucking defeated. I spent the whole day a complete zombie just wondering, why does it have to be like this? What kind of joke is it that I'm having to take prescription anxiety meds because my natural anxiety meds exaggerate my condition?

Going on doxycycline, my 5th antibiotic in the last 6 months and not expecting any different results, but who knows... I'll do anything at this point to be able to consume THC again because I really do need it. And I don't care if I'm dependent on marijuana, it's a dependency I am willing to live with for the rest of my life because I love it.

The original plan was to go on Cipro which is the most dangerous antibiotic in medicine. I almost did, but the horror stories, and website (ciproispoison.com) made me stay away from it. I tried a weaker antibiotic in the same class 2 months ago and within 2 days, half my toes were swollen, hard and purple, and my left wrist was in severe pain out of nowhere, which I found out is a sign that you need to stop taking it immediately or risk permanent damage. Yeah.

Same warnings for Cipro. It turns out I was actually on Cipro several times as a kid for different sinus infections and never had any side effects (that I knew of, I was just a kid), lucky me. Some people have lost the use of arms, legs, or both and become completely disabled by it.

The fact that I even considered going on this just to be able to smoke weed again should tell you about where I'm at mentally without marijuana.
Sorry to hear all that.