• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Regaining my sex drive after SSRI use

I've been on escitalopram for the past year and a half or so and although my sex drive isn't affected while I'm on it, I've tried to quit a few times and every single time it's gone to below nothing (among other horrible withdrawal symptoms which I'm sure you're aware of). The last time I tried to quit I joined this forum specifically for people trying to quit SSRIs and the general consensus was that if you're not willing to wait what may be many, many months for your brain and sex drive to go back to normal, it's probably worth getting back on your SSRI and just doing as slow a taper as possible. I know that's insanely frustrating but it's the best solution as far as I can tell and it's what I'm doing now...tapering down hasn't affected my sex drive at all.
Best of luck!

I've just stopped taking 10mg after about two weeks having seen the possible long term effects of this. My libido has vanished and I'm petrified it won't return. I've read about Post-SSRI sexual disfunction. Please someone give me some hope. The risks are highlighted on The Mind website but not the leaflet. Surely the small amount I've had won't have a long term effect?

i doubt in 2 weeks it will have done much to you in terms of neuro remodelling from bdnf.

loads of people who had their sex drives dampen before using citalopram etc. have seen it return after coming off it including myself and my friends over the years. though everyone is different

but yes some people take longer to regain it (years to never) and everything is a spectrum

I've been on escitalopram for more than 10 years and it had the opposite effect on me. It improved my confidence and sexual drive no end. I did have a problem when stopping Diazepam suddenly. Complete depersonalisation and zero interest in sex. At least they appeared to be related. Things perked up no end when I restarted Diazepam.

In any case, there's a strong possibility that sex drive, erections, etc, etc may be related to other things other than SSRIs. It's important to remember that correlation does not necessarily mean causality: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

I've been on escitalopram for more than 10 years and it had the opposite effect on me. It improved my confidence and sexual drive no end. I did have a problem when stopping Diazepam suddenly. Complete depersonalisation and zero interest in sex. At least they appeared to be related. Things perked up no end when I restarted Diazepam.

In any case, there's a strong possibility that sex drive, erections, etc, etc may be related to other things other than SSRIs. It's important to remember that correlation does not necessarily mean causality: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

mixing it with diazepam is not the same as on its own.

also are you bipolar? just a question

mixing it with diazepam is not the same as on its own.

also are you bipolar? just a question

You're right, an SSRI on its own is different from it mixed with other drugs. I was on Escitalopram only from 2006 to early 2013. I was on max dose most of that time and very sexually active. Not even one problem. I'd almost weaned off until I had a meltdown mid June 2013.

Eventually, a psychiatrist decided I had bipolar type II. When I was discharged I was given Diazepam as needed, an antipsychotic, a mood stabiliser and back on the SSRI. Got dependency on Diazepam between 2013 and 2016.

Psychiatrists now think I don't have bipolar. Fortunately, all my meds are used as an adjunct for Depression and GAD, which appears to be my current diagnosis.

Hi, it's me again. I took 10mg of Citalopram for just two weeks. Been off now for four weeks and still 0 libido and I've got erectile dysfunction...

I just wean down to 5 mg of Lexapro ts week from taking 10 mg this last year. I just also started taking Wellbutrin today and it has given me anxiety today. What was the side effect that you had from will Wellbutrin ?