Writing-up Reducing Cocaine/Heroin Abuse With SR-Amphetamine and Buprenorphine (Detroit)

nuke

Bluelighter
Treatment Study: Reducing Cocaine/Heroin Abuse With SR-Amphetamine and Buprenorphine

This research study takes place at Wayne State University and will take about 11 weeks to complete. This is a treatment research study for individuals who currently have cocaine abuse or dependence, and who may also have heroin dependence. The purpose of this study is to test whether oral sustained release d-amphetamine (SR-AMP) is safe and more effective than placebo for preventing relapse to cocaine use for individuals who abuse or are dependent upon cocaine. We are also interested whether, for patients who are dependent on cocaine and heroin, whether SR-AMP is safe and effective for preventing cocaine relapse in combination with buprenorphine.

Estimated Enrollment: 40
Study Start Date: April 2008
Estimated Study Completion Date: December 2010
Estimated Primary Completion Date: December 2010 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)

Contacts

Locations
United States, Michigan
Wayne State University Recruiting
Detroit, Michigan, United States, 48202
Principal Investigator: Mark Greenwald, PhD

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00698737

do something good with the funding you receive & research into cannabis sativa's efficiently to cure addicts in combination with buprenorphine. Amphetamine sucks ass, is bad for kids with adhd/add & no one wants that but it ends up in their cocaine. From first hand experience it is apparent the treatment mentioned above is righteously effective.

this is stupid, i hate how doctors give in to the goverments bullshit instead of trying someting that is proven but not approved.

do you guys care about people or the gready fat bastards who run this place twisted unfounded moral values?

do some research on ibogaine and stop waisting everybodies time.

or just tell them to go out and buy 1000 mics of LSD and cure themselves, it would be cheaper and more efficiant.

this is stupid, i hate how doctors give in to the goverments bullshit instead of trying someting that is proven but not approved.

Um, it's the law. I'd rather know a treatment had been through approvals, personally. I do think it is frustrating that some (currently illegal) drugs cannot be used in this way. But I figure the more research into different/new treatments, the better.

Seems odd to me to use amphetamine/buprenorphine - however it's worth remembering that to get research money, you do have to review the literature and mark a decent case for your research in order to get that money. It's not just handed out to any bizarre idea.

well sure if I have free amph I don't need to spend my money on blow.

and if I have free buprenorphine, I can avoid w/ds and use smack more sparingly.

am I missing something here??

Im already on suboxone and its worked miracles for getting me out of the street and reducing my tolerance from 6mgs to 1 mgs, so don't get me wrong Im not against substitution/maintenence and all that....but the whole study seems kind of "umm duh" to me??

Yeah, but you're not looking at it from a humanistic or economic standpoint. It gets the users off the streets so they don't have to get HIV from being in a fix and sharing needles in a dump and allows them to better work jobs (that's the plan, anyway).

The research on ibogaine is speculative at best and I really am not sure it's the solution either. And I have a lot of friends who are addicts and have used large amounts of LSD and had it make no contribution to relieving their addiction.

Very interested in hearing the results. Are the interactions between Naloxone and amphetamine being studied for cocaine dependence? Or does bupe have a potential role in curbing stim addiction.

^ I even mentioned that subs got me off the street. I guess it would be cool to see that backed up with some numbers and studies.

But its such an obvious truth I dont know why money needs to be spent on a study. Oh well better than on bombs for iraq and most the shit government money goes towards....

studies to prove marijuana will kill you. Now!!!

medical marijuana, amph and bupe maintenence.

Damn michigans becoming the "you can have it all" state.

Christ enough of the ass-backwards, contradictory, ring-around-the-logic arguments from you guys. Think for two seconds before you bash an idea.

Not everyone wants to smoke marijuana nor enjoys the marijuana high. Not only that, cocaine isn't even simliar to smoking that garbage. Yeesh.

The research on ibogaine is speculative at best and I really am not sure it's the solution either. And I have a lot of friends who are addicts and have used large amounts of LSD and had it make no contribution to relieving their addiction.
Stanley Glick's research seems to indicate that the case for ibogaine is more than anecdotal, and my personal experience with it has me convinced that ibogaine induces a "reset" of the dopaminergic system in those addicted to stimulants.

With regard to this study, I see parallels with methadone and suboxone maintenance therapies--and as such, the "solution" is to relieve the financial issues of a stimulant addiction.

ugh hippies... Yea man it's just synthetic pharmacutical company propaganda, why don't they prove that weed cures everything man. I had a cold and I smoked a joint and now I don't have a cold, so take that science! And like I heard of this iboga stuff thats totally righteous, or better yet they should give them some hits of acid man, like that would totally get rid of withdrawels... snaps back into reality, eww my mouth tastes like bullshit, and it's all over my shirt ewww it smells. I'm gunna shut up now cuz I'm a fried hippy. peace

Hell. I used cocaine for years and at times daily, and quit cold turkey many times. Sucked for a few days, but then got better. Can you really compare that to heroin? Cocaine doesn't leave you psychologically and physically scarred in the same ways at all. Giving cokeheads stimulants is actually just giving them a probably stronger form of their drug of choice, eh?

Bupe works miracles for Opiate addics but I don't know much about the other chemical....

Let's see what happends.

ugh hippies... Yea man it's just synthetic pharmacutical company propaganda, why don't they prove that weed cures everything man. I had a cold and I smoked a joint and now I don't have a cold, so take that science! And like I heard of this iboga stuff thats totally righteous, or better yet they should give them some hits of acid man, like that would totally get rid of withdrawels... snaps back into reality, eww my mouth tastes like bullshit, and it's all over my shirt ewww it smells. I'm gunna shut up now cuz I'm a fried hippy. peace

lol...

Bupe works miracles for Opiate addics but I don't know much about the other chemical....

Let's see what happends.

When I was on it, it literally saved my life. Being off it for over a year, I've OD'd 4 times and one of them was very very bad. I actually can't wait to give it a real try this time around.

Bupe + amps! Sign me up lol. Seriously though this sounds like a great study especially if you have ADD, a bad coke habit and the dope monkey on your back!

Well, ADHD and substance abuse problems are very often comorbid, so it might be more effective.

been taking suboxone for 7 years. Taking adderrall now for the second time. First time was for a year while on suboxone.. I loved the combo. I now am doing it again and yep... still love the combo.