• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Reddit posters tell me I've ruined Kratom for myself permanently...

Mycophile

Bluelighter
I know I've got another thread about this so sorry, but this is upsetting me.

I mean, I AM high at the moment, so it is still working, but I needed to take 14 grams when 2 weeks ago 3.5 grams was doing it for me.

I know kindling occurs, but is it really possible for a person, or likely, to PERMANENTLY destroy their Kratom tolerance to the point where it can become nearly useless?

As I said in my other thread, I used to use way too much Kratom, then stopped for a year, then used for a year, and my tolerance went up slowly...started at 2.5 grams a dose and it took a full year for my doses to get to 11.25 when I stopped.

Then I stopped for 6 months and while I am using inferior product this time, which probably has something to do with it, in ONE MONTH I've gone from 2.5 grams a dose to needing 14 grams.

I just don't want to believe that there's nothing I can do and that I have permanently ruined Kratom for myself.

Do you guys think this is really the case?

These are some comments from Reddit posters:

One guy: "Don’t know if anyone’s mentioned the term specifically, but many have gotten to it in a roundabout way; it’s called kindling. When you use a drug and activate the receptors associated with its use, you’re building a pathway your brain becomes more familiar with as use continues. It won’t forget this pathway. Every return to use after even long breaks will see your body returning to homeostasis sooner and sooner. Homeostasis is essentially you losing your effects because your body/psyche have become normalized to the effects of a substance.

I have been addicted in one form or another to many drugs. Opioids, benzos, cannabinoids, stimulants; and after every experience of sobriety and return to active use, I notice a shorter and shorter window of “good” effects, and quicker and quicker return of “bad” effects. Psychosis with stimulants, rebound anxiety/withdrawal type feelings after one use with benzos, withdrawal feelings after one use of mu agonists (kratom included.)

Not everybody does this to themselves. It usually takes a lot of years and a lot of hard use. But once you get to this stage, I don’t know that it’s reversible. I do think it’s a matter of degree, as with most things. But having talked to a lot of other people that have gone hard, it seems like a pretty common phenomena."

Another guy: "Its proven these receptors work differently after each time you stop and start up again. That's why I stopped because it stopped working and started creating more problems than it was solving. At the end I went from 18 grams to 35 grams in one month and then I was like okay this is getting out of control."

Another guy: "This is, in fact, a well known phenomenon—repeated exposure to many drugs will, over time, increase the pace at which you gain tolerance, regardless of the length of any breaks taken. As regards your current relationship with kratom: Once you take another break to allow your tolerance to drop, you’ll need to commit to using kratom infrequently if you wish to maintain a low tolerance. Your only other option is to use low dose naltrexone nightly, which will very effectively keep your tolerance from increasing."

Another: "I think what you’re referring to here is what’s known as ‘the kindling effect’. As you know, if you’ve been using something for a long time, say an opiate, your body obviously becomes tolerant to it. If you then continue to use and push up the dose to match the tolerance, your body responds accordingly. Now let’s say this discourages you and you take a few months off completely. When you return, your tolerance will increase back to where it was much more quickly than the first time round (think muscle memory). You’ll also find that you’ll need much less time to become addicted and suffer WD again.

I used to use opium (thank you krat for keeping me off). I got addicted to the opium and my tolerance went through the roof. Later, I took some months off. I returned to using for about 3 days. The third day was enough to skyrocket my tolerance back to where it was and to get intense withdrawal after.

“Resetting” tolerance to opiates is somewhat of a myth unless you’re messing with the tolerance mechanism of action with proglumide, naltrexone and NMDA antagonists."

So, all these people are basically saying that it is possible and common to permanently ruin your Kratom tolerance, and I just don't want to believe it.

I've used plenty of other substances in my life, from Klonopin to Dexadrine/Adderall, to weed to Phenibut to booze etc, and this kind of thing has NEVER happened before.

Do you guys think they are right?

Do you think it is really likely that I've ruined my Kratom tolerance for life and there's nothing I can do about it?

These guys are saying the only way I can reset my tolerance to Kratom is with Naltrexone.

I've never used that and don't know if that's legal or anything about it.

Has anyone here permanently ruined Kratom for themselves or have you guys generally been able to get your tolerance to come back?

And has anyone here ever used Naltrexone to regain tolerance, and if so, what is that process like?

I doubt it's permanent, take 5 years off kratom and I'm sure you will get pretty high next time you take it. It is true that drugs get less enjoyable the more you use them though.

I doubt it's permanent, take 5 years off kratom and I'm sure you will get pretty high next time you take it. It is true that drugs get less enjoyable the more you use them though.

Well, I really don't want to take 5 years off...that's a long time and I wouldn't think that would be necessary.

I still DO get high, but I just need way too much.

Six months off reset my tolerance, but now it's gone up so insanely fast it makes no sense to me.

I could try the superior Kratom strains my friend is holding for me or I could try Naltrexone, but I don't know if that's easy to find legally (I'm NOT asking for a source...) though I was told you can get it on the clear net, I don't know what the process of using that is like or if that's safe.

Has anyone else here tried Naltrexone and if so, what's it like, and has anyone else hear had their Kratom tolerance shoot up so incredibly fast like this and if so, what did you do about it?

I don't have experience with Kratom, but I can not use heroin for a year and I'l regain serious tolerance within a few days if I relapse, to the point that what originally took me a year of regular use to build to will now take less than a week.

I don't have experience with Kratom, but I can not use heroin for a year and I'l regain serious tolerance within a few days if I relapse, to the point that what originally took me a year of regular use to build to will now take less than a week.

Yeah, that's basically what they are saying, that opioid receptors remember one's tolerance and that this happens with all sorts of opioids, and I've even heard people say they have permanently ruined their Adderall tolerance too so I guess it can happen, but it's upsetting to me.

I don't know, not sure what the solution is...

So, I know almost nothing about Naltrexone but was told it can reset opioid tolerance and I know that it is used to decrease cravings for opioids, alcohol and other drugs (I wouldn't mind decreased cravings either).

I use Kratom on and off, and I stopped for 6 months so my tolerance went back down to 3 grams when before my break I needed 11 grams for good dose, but I used way too much before in the past and now in the past month I have gone from needing 3 grams a dose to 14, and I haven't even taken it every day either.

In fact, only 2 weeks ago 3.5 grams was working for me, and now 14 does the same thing. People have told me that that happens with opioids sometimes, and that some people can have permanent tolerance and ruin a drug for themselves, and I really want mine to go back down. I try not to use Kratom more than 3 days a week, but I still want it to work for me if I choose to take it, and when I take high doses I get WD easily and more side effects and I don't want those.

A poster on another forum told me that when this happens the only real way to reset tolerance is with Naltrexone and recommended I try it, but I don't know if it's dangerous or might have negative interactions with the Klonopin and Lexapro I take or anything else.

Assuming I could get my hands on some, would taking it for a little while to reset my opioid tolerance be a really bad idea?

Has anyone else here used it for this kind of thing?

Thanks.

This is not what is meant by kindling. Kindling is apparent in withdrawal- from sedative drugs mainly, and it refers to the increased intensity of withdrawal symptoms with repeated sedative drug cessation. There is probably something analogous to opioids though but effecting a much different system in the body.

Tolerance is not just down regulation of receptors repeatedly exposed to a chemical. It's also a genetic change. You may want to investigate epigenetics... Genes are switched on and off based on an organisms experience and opioid addiction is known to manifest such changes. I doubt 6 months is long enough to make this effect reverse.

Also consider novelty. No matter how long I quit weed for, the effects are never as intense as the first years of me smoking. You get used to things, the novelty wears off. Same with opioids. You probably need to abstain for a few years to get even close to how you used to feel but if that is your aim, your doses and tolerance will always increase rapidly and exponentially.

This is not what is meant by kindling. Kindling is apparent in withdrawal- from sedative drugs mainly, and it refers to the increased intensity of withdrawal symptoms with repeated sedative drug cessation. There is probably something analogous to opioids though but effecting a much different system in the body.

Tolerance is not just down regulation of receptors repeatedly exposed to a chemical. It's also a genetic change. You may want to investigate epigenetics... Genes are switched on and off based on an organisms experience and opioid addiction is known to manifest such changes. I doubt 6 months is long enough to make this effect reverse.

Also consider novelty. No matter how long I quit weed for, the effects are never as intense as the first years of me smoking. You get used to things, the novelty wears off. Same with opioids. You probably need to abstain for a few years to get even close to how you used to feel but if that is your aim, your doses and tolerance will always increase rapidly and exponentially.

Well couple other questions then:

Do you think withdrawal is always worse when one's tolerance is higher? Like, I had to stop 6 months ago because my doses were 11 grams, and while that didn't always put me in WD in the past, at that point, for whatever reason, only ONE dose of 11 grams would give me a few days of WD, so that's why I stopped for 6 months.

Even though I don't like that I need 14 grams to feel good, if all it meant was swallowing more powder then it wouldn't be that big a deal, but my concern is that my tolerance will still keep going up and that I'll get all the negative effects and worse WD with fewer and fewer positive ones.

But is that not necessarily the case, that with increased tolerance and needing more to get high that the WD will be worse and more intense?

Or could my body adapt and not have worse WD?

I mean, if 14 grams feels equivalent to what 3 grams felt like before then could the WD from 14 grams also be equal to that produced by 3 gram doses? Or does higher dose necessarily mean worse WD?

And then no one responded to my other thread, but this poster on reddit said that if you take ultra low dose Naltrexone that that can reset your opioid receptors so your tolerance can go down.

Is that true and if so, is that a bad idea, to take Naltrexone to try to lower my tolerance?

I mean, I don't even use Kratom that often but I just want to be able to use it and not have doing so produce worse WD like I experienced in the past when taking these high doses.

I could learn to live with needing to swallow this much powder (even though it's gross and time consuming) if it meant that all else was equal, including the WD, as it DOES still work for me, even if it's not as euphoric as it once was, it's still pretty good, but my concern is that my tolerance will keep going up and the WD will get worse and worse, eventually rendering Kratom useless, and I don't want that to happen.

Is that an inevitability, or are there ways around that?

Last edited:
I mean, if 14 grams feels equivalent to what 3 grams felt like before then could the WD from 14 grams also be equal to that produced by 3 gram doses? Or does higher dose necessarily mean worse WD?

I see what you are saying and I'm not sure there is one straight answer. Consider tolerance and withdrawal to be two sides of the same coin. For addictive drugs, the more tolerant you are, the more your body has adapted by down regulating receptor expression. You would think that you are then left with less of a deficit when you abstain totally- there are less receptors to become "agitated" but your body has also started to produce less endorphins to compensate so you are left with less endorphins to bind to less receptors and that is withdrawal. And arguably with higher doses, your body has down regulated receptor density to a higher level because you were throwing more exogenous ligands at it- higher doses cause more downregulation and a bigger decrease in endorphin production so being tolerant to higher doses could theoretically make withdrawal more intense.

Intensity of withdrawal is more related to the intensity of receptor agonism. Kratom afaik is not a really strong mu opioid receptor agonist. Not to say it doesn't have significant withdrawal cos it does....

I don't know if there is a simple description of tolerance and withdrawal because you are involving multiple complex systems...

Adding naltrexone seems risky. It could help reduce tolerance but it's doing this by antagonising the receptor and pushing out whatever opioid is present. So it could precipitate withdrawal for you.

Is that an inevitability, or are there ways around that?

It's inevitable really. Our body does not respond favourably to drugs by and large, and tries always to find homeostasis. It will always fight against being constantly saturated by a drug.

But there is a way to reduce tolerance that works and it's simply using less and less of chemical. If you can have days where you use significantly less and always aim to use the lowest amount possible, you might find that you can get more from your kratom. That would be my suggestion....

I see what you are saying and I'm not sure there is one straight answer. Consider tolerance and withdrawal to be two sides of the same coin. For addictive drugs, the more tolerant you are, the more your body has adapted by down regulating receptor expression. You would think that you are then left with less of a deficit when you abstain totally- there are less receptors to become "agitated" but your body has also started to produce less endorphins to compensate so you are left with less endorphins to bind to less receptors and that is withdrawal. And arguably with higher doses, your body has down regulated receptor density to a higher level because you were throwing more exogenous ligands at it- higher doses cause more downregulation and a bigger decrease in endorphin production so being tolerant to higher doses could theoretically make withdrawal more intense.

Intensity of withdrawal is more related to the intensity of receptor agonism. Kratom afaik is not a really strong mu opioid receptor agonist. Not to say it doesn't have significant withdrawal cos it does....

I don't know if there is a simple description of tolerance and withdrawal because you are involving multiple complex systems...

Adding naltrexone seems risky. It could help reduce tolerance but it's doing this by antagonising the receptor and pushing out whatever opioid is present. So it could precipitate withdrawal for you.

It's inevitable really. Our body does not respond favourably to drugs by and large, and tries always to find homeostasis. It will always fight against being constantly saturated by a drug.

But there is a way to reduce tolerance that works and it's simply using less and less of chemical. If you can have days where you use significantly less and always aim to use the lowest amount possible, you might find that you can get more from your kratom. That would be my suggestion....

I mean I usually don't use Kratom AT ALL. I hadn't used it in 6 months. At one point I took a year off. But see, a couple years back there was this time when I took a 3 month break and my tolerance didn't even drop, and I remember telling people that and all these other Kratom heads said there was no way that could happen and that they only have to stop for a week or 2 and their tolerance comes back.

At the moment so long as I am using any I am going to want to use whatever amount makes me feel good because there's no point otherwise. So yeah...I've proven myself capable of taking year long breaks, 6 month breaks, etc, and even when I am in a period where I am using Kratom I don't let myself use it much more than 3 days a week because I'm afraid of becoming too dependent and getting bad WD.

But within those parameters, if I am in a period where I'm using Kratom I will be using it at least 2 days a week, and yeah....there's no point in taking a dose that doesn't feel strong enough to feel good. If I want to regain tolerance or it feels pointless I will stop for however long I think is necessary....but again....tolerance can just shoot right back.

Although the thing is, the Kratom I am using is quite possibly very weak and not the same stuff I was using before and I have all this other probably superior Kratom of multiple different strains my friend is holding for me, so do you think it is possible that that stuff might work for me better??

Likewise (and I'm not saying I want to do this cause I DON'T want to be super dependent on Kratom) there's stronger stuff like Kratom extracts. So I mean, FOR THE SAKE OF ARGUMENT ONLY...wouldn't those be more likely to produce the high I am chasing if I used those?

I mean even for the sake for argument (again I'm not doing this)...I have never used Heroin and never will.....but I am pretty sure if I used even moderate, let alone high dose Oxycodone/Hyrdrodone that that would work right??

I mean, there's ALWAYS something stronger.....but that's a dangerous road I don't want to go down as I don't want to be huge opioid addict.....

What I don't understand is, I mean, you mentioned weed, and I've smoked TONS in my life, and while it may never feel quite like the first times I smoke when I was young...no matter how often I smoke I will ALWAYS be able to get really really high off of weed if I smoke enough, so why is this not the case with Kratom??

I mean, I can say with absolute certainty I could smoke as much weed as I want and nothing even SOMEWHAT approximating the loss in effectiviness in Kratom for me would ever happen with weed....so what's up with that??

As far as Naltrexone is concerned, IF I were to try that I would make sure I do not have ANY Kratom in my system. I read that you don't want any opioid in your system for 7--10 days prior to using, and I am not even really very dependent on Kratom, so it would be easy to take months off of Kratom and use that stuff, but I don't know if it would work or be safe...

I mean....I have used multiple drugs in my life but nothing like this has ever happened so I don't get it. Booze has always gotten me drunk and still does, weed has always gotten me high and still does, no drug has every stopped working like this.

And granted like I said...Kratom DOES still work for me...I just need high doses.

I could just keep taking those high doses, but then tolerance will go up again...

And I guess this will probably happen again and again....that I'll have to stop....start again and for a little bit it'll feel good, then tolerance will get too high and I'll have to stop......but I guess if I can SOMETIMES get good results that's better than nothing.

I simply do not want to accept the idea that Kratom is going to permanently stop working for me.

Most likely as long as there's a way I will be trying....or else switch to some other drug, cause sometimes I just don't like sobriety lol...

Last edited:
Actually I mentioned weed in your other "Kratom Kindling" thread iirc. As an example that people respond with a high degree of variability to substances, esp ones like kratom that involve 5-HT2a and postsynaptic α2-adrenergic receptors, as well as neuronal Ca2+ channels* are also involved in the unique pharmacological and behavioral activity of mitragynine. Aside from partial, full and antagonists of the multiple opioid receptors which is unique to kratom for the most part.

Although the thing is, the Kratom I am using is quite possibly very weak and not the same stuff I was using before and I have all this other probably superior Kratom of multiple different strains my friend is holding for me, so do you think it is possible that that stuff might work for me better??

At this point I'm getting pissed off because this shitty headshop Kratom is barely even fucking working.
The headshop kratom is subpar on purpose. Many vendors, large ones with excellent kratom, sell cheap low quality kratom at the shops because it is a quick buck. The owners of a lot of these kratom businesses have groups where their good product is sold in bulk for other vendors. It is a large network of people. I know quite a few of them actually. Some are even growing in TX right now. Dont buy the headshop kratom. You end up spending a ton of money of bad product, as you are already aware. It is much more cost effective to go through your friend that holds the kratom for you. The shops are a scam, it makes kratom look bad too. High quality kratom is much cheaper than smoke shop stuff by far.
I'd stopped Kratom for 11 months and started taking it again in January of 2018 at 2.5 grams a dose...and it wasn't till I stopped in December of 2018 that my tolerance was 11.25 grams a dose.

Personally I'd eliminate the biggest variable of all first, your questionable headshop Kratom, before posting multiple threads about why it's not working well. Much like questioning weed tolerance after one peculiar baggie. At least weed is tested for cannabinoids now, which I can't say for headshop kratom.

So Instead of delving into a lengthy post on bimodal action potential durations of opioid receptors, I'll let you do some studying of your own if you want to go that route first.

It should also be said that NMDAr's and ULDN is far better at keeping a tolerance from developing, than magically making it disappear. Proglumide is about the only thing out there that does that, though it's designed for classical type opioids, not ones that involve 6+ modes of action.

If you want to use Naloxone/ Naltrexone to "Reset your opioid tolerance faster" , know it does not work like Flumazenil does with benzodiazepine tolerances.
As should also be pointed out, attempting to use any of these at Non-Ultra Low Doses without being at the near end of PAWS will be quite the exorcise in masochism.

Ultra-low concentrations of naloxone selectively antagonize excitatory effects of morphine on sensory neurons, thereby increasing its antinociceptive potency and attenuating tolerance/dependence during chronic cotreatment.

Modulatory effects of Gs-coupled excitatory opioid receptor functions on opioid analgesia, tolerance, and dependence.
Selective blockade of excitatory opioid receptor functions by low (ca. pM) concentrations of naloxone, naltrexone, etorphine and other specific agents markedly increases the inhibitory potency of morphine or other bimodally acting agonists and attenuates development of tolerance/dependence

High-Affinity Naloxone Binding to Filamin A Prevents Mu Opioid Receptor–Gs Coupling Underlying Opioid Tolerance and Dependence

NMDA antagonists for tolerance, a collection of the evidence and anecdotal reports

[*]
  • Obstructing the calcium channels
  • Mitragynine has also been indicated equipped for blocking neuronal Ca2+ channels. This component may add to the obstruction of neurotransmitter discharge, which may at last help to relax the muscles and balance low moods.

Last edited:
Actually I mentioned weed in your other "Kratom Kindling" thread iirc. As an example that people respond with a high degree of variability to substances, esp ones like kratom that involve 5-HT2a and postsynaptic α2-adrenergic receptors, as well as neuronal Ca2+ channels* are also involved in the unique pharmacological and behavioral activity of mitragynine. Aside from partial, full and antagonists of the multiple opioid receptors which is unique to kratom for the most part.

Personally I'd eliminate the biggest variable of all first, your questionable headshop Kratom, before posting multiple threads about why it's not working well. Much like questioning weed tolerance after one peculiar baggie. At least weed is tested for cannabinoids now, which I can't say for headshop kratom.

So Instead of delving into a lengthy post on bimodal action potential durations of opioid receptors, I'll let you do some studying of your own if you want to go that route first.

It should also be said that NMDAr's and ULDN is far better at keeping a tolerance from developing, than magically making it disappear. Proglumide is about the only thing out there that does that, though it's designed for classical type opioids, not ones that involve 6+ modes of action.

If you want to use Naloxone/ Naltrexone to "Reset your opioid tolerance faster" , know it does not work like Flumazenil does with benzodiazepine tolerances.
As should also be pointed out, attempting to use any of these at Non-Ultra Low Doses without being at the near end of PAWS will be quite the exorcise in masochism.

Ultra-low concentrations of naloxone selectively antagonize excitatory effects of morphine on sensory neurons, thereby increasing its antinociceptive potency and attenuating tolerance/dependence during chronic cotreatment.

Modulatory effects of Gs-coupled excitatory opioid receptor functions on opioid analgesia, tolerance, and dependence.

High-Affinity Naloxone Binding to Filamin A Prevents Mu Opioid Receptor–Gs Coupling Underlying Opioid Tolerance and Dependence

NMDA antagonists for tolerance, a collection of the evidence and anecdotal reports

[*]
  • Obstructing the calcium channels
  • Mitragynine has also been indicated equipped for blocking neuronal Ca2+ channels. This component may add to the obstruction of neurotransmitter discharge, which may at last help to relax the muscles and balance low moods.

This is pretty intense reading for someone like me who doesn't understand how chemistry works, and yeah, I'm getting a bit obsessed now, so I'll just try the other Kratom and/or take a break first and then try it.

I don't know what Flumanezil is but I think I am getting the jist that you are saying Naltrexone doesn't work quite as well to get rid of tolerance like I thought.

I guess probably the time to use it if I was going to would be WHEN MY TOLERANCE IS ACTUALLY LOW....like after another break, or back before when it was only 3 grams before it rose to 15.

I kind of need cliff notes to understand this kind of stuff cause anytime anyone talks about "calcium channels" or "affinity" or basically anything like this I won't understand it.

I actually got out of ever even taking chemistry in highschool haha.

But, thanks.

I'll look at this later.

Yeah, all of the Kratom activity was just to illustrate how unique Kratom is as it doesn't match any other opioid out there. It doesn't always follow the same rules either.

Apologies if I overshot the Naloxone/ Naltrexone explanation, I just wanted to give you an idea of how something that is used to completely block opioid effects can actually increase them in extremely small amounts. Again, it's much better to slow or arrest tolerance then reverse it. Proglumide is the only one that can do that, but isn't meant for oral consumption from side effects anyways.

Just make sure that you have no tolerance when initiating something like ULDN, if you decide to at all, as it can be hell if you over do the Ultra Low Dose part. The Flumazenil reference was for benzos anyway and not as relevant to your question or situation.

I don't believe you should have to do much more than take a break.

It's a very weak herb to begin with, I wouldn't stake your hopes and joys of daily kratom use.

Yeah, all of the Kratom activity was just to illustrate how unique Kratom is as it doesn't match any other opioid out there. It doesn't always follow the same rules either.

Apologies if I overshot the Naloxone/ Naltrexone explanation, I just wanted to give you an idea of how something that is used to completely block opioid effects can actually increase them in extremely small amounts. Again, it's much better to slow or arrest tolerance then reverse it. Proglumide is the only one that can do that, but isn't meant for oral consumption from side effects anyways.

Just make sure that you have no tolerance when initiating something like ULDN, if you decide to at all, as it can be hell if you over do the Ultra Low Dose part. The Flumazenil reference was for benzos anyway and not as relevant to your question or situation.

Ok, but otherwise, since I am not necessarily sure I'd use naltrexone anyway, do you have any other suggestions on getting it to work better?

Would you just say to use another batch/different strains?

I don't believe you should have to do much more than take a break.

It's a very weak herb to begin with, I wouldn't stake your hopes and joys of daily kratom use.

That's a pretty massive buzzkill...especially since it helps so much with my anxiety and depression and is my favorite drug ever.

Taking a 6 month break brought the tolerance down, but again, only for a few weeks.

My hopes are very much staked unfortunately on finding a way to get Kratom to work better for me again because i love it so much.

I don't use it daily, but I really really want to get it to effect me enough to be able to use a few days a week.

There's pretty much no substance that has ever made me feel so good.

Would you just say to use another batch/different strains?
I would suggest another batch or strain of known quality before getting this worked up and making 3 threads about it.

These statements only serve to strengthen my feeling on this:

At this point I'm getting pissed off because this shitty headshop Kratom is barely even fucking working.
The headshop kratom is subpar on purpose. Many vendors, large ones with excellent kratom, sell cheap low quality kratom at the shops because it is a quick buck. The owners of a lot of these kratom businesses have groups where their good product is sold in bulk for other vendors. It is a large network of people. I know quite a few of them actually. Some are even growing in TX right now. Dont buy the headshop kratom. You end up spending a ton of money of bad product, as you are already aware. It is much more cost effective to go through your friend that holds the kratom for you. The shops are a scam, it makes kratom look bad too. High quality kratom is much cheaper than smoke shop stuff by far.

Dude having 3 weeks of low tolerance is pretty much all you can hope for with opiates/kratom like substances. Your break worked; you didn't need to take such a long break. More frequent breaks of like 3-6 days should work better for you.