• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Recreational use of Barbiturates

Karbon1991

Bluelighter
Is it all its hyped up to be? Is it worth it? Or is it best just left alone and sticking with Benzo's? Never tried them. Heard alot of stories about them. Both good an bad. Alot of horror stories too but I'm assuming that's people not being sensible (just having abit more it won't hurt) anyone give me any advise or experience with barb's?

Experienced people can mess up and die easily with barbs. Barbiturates are way more likely to kill in overdose. Completely forget about them if your a poly drug user. Honestly, I would only use either one as prescribed. I stick w/benzodiazepines, which are quite a bit safer, when used correctly. One mistake with barbiturates could easily kill you. IMO, not worth the risk. Now, if your an OG and has the brains to research,check the proper dose of a barbiturate and the will power to almost never use them, then that's on you. Point is, by far, barbiturates are very dangerous. Not worth it.

Sedative hypnotics/GABAergics have never done anything except disappoint me, as far as their potential as recreational drugs is concerned. Some people are into them I guess, but I'm not one of them...

With that being said I haven't done some of the ones which have more of a reputation for being recreational, like secobarbital

I view the whole sedative/hypnotic thing as a need/aquired taste. Some people need them. That is why they exist to begin with. Some people on this site piss all over Fioricet for instance. Now fine, it's not Seconal, but if you ever had evil level migraine or tension headache, it is, for some, Gods gift to man. If your not greedy, it works very well. It will abort a serious headache, pretty fast. Technically, it contains a barbiturate. Now in my case, I had a script with 5 refills. I basically used a bottle every five days. What some people don't understand is that after a week, give or take, your body is used to the low amount of caffeine. Now your body is mainly feeling the barbiturate (butalbital) and Tylenol /APAP.
Now this stuff has a half life of 30+ hours. I was able to stop benzos easy on this stuff. It's all about how you use it.
My only point is, even a (subjectively) week barbiturate, has big potential for danger, when used by itself or interactions with other drugs. I only suggest that any barbiturate use is as directed. If benzodiazepines can be dangerous, then barbiturates are by certain comparisons, nine times or more dangerous, due to its operation in the body. Be real careful. It's use is not advised.

Last edited:
I believe this why they also mostly stopped using them in rehabs as well, with the exception of hardcore alcoholics.
I nearly died after being given phenobarb in a rehab facility several years ago.
I can't imagine anyone who derives enjoyment from being nearly comatose.

I'm not a big fan honestly. I know that goes against the majority here but you see how many of the users here are addicting to some kind of barbiturate. I use them occasionally and almost exclusively coming down off stimulants.

EDIT - SHIT THIS IS A LONG POST ,,,.... :!

Oh well read on if you like.

After enjoying the "wonder years" ( In the beginning, around the year 1993 ) - I started taking the pharmaceuticals that made me feel like a king, and had no idea the word tolerence even applied to my nightly treats.
This lasted for many years without dissapointment.
(Flunitrazepam and weed or Temazepam and weed or Diconal and weed), I felt great on all of them, with the Flunitrazepam/weed combo was my DOC until life started catching up with me and I had no choice but to stop taking them.

Skip the middle section of time my late twenties/early thirty's, where acid, E and a roofie for the comedown), I moved on to a pretty normal life without the pleasures of the past.
In fact I was so happy to get my hands on a few temazepams and diconal recently, but it just wasn't the same and felt no desire to try make it like it used to be.

But the point of this lengthy intro is about barbiturates.
I got hold of the last 25 or so "pulvets" of sodium seconal and a dozen Tuinals (a combination of amobarbital and secobarbital) and I was not dissapointed with them at all, or worried about getting addicted again, because they were literally the last batch on this continent.

But after thinking Flunitrazepam was the best pharmaceutical I had ever taken. I was proven wrong 14 years after my last rohypnol dose.
For all those years I would think of how nice they felt and that they were in a class of their own never to be beaten.

Until around 6 months ago.

I had an epiphany.

VESPARAX. (who would have "thunk" it possible).

Only had around a weeks supply, but this barbiturate combo all in one pill (50 mg brallobarbital, 150 mg secobarbital and 50 mg hydroxyzine) Even at a dose of one and a half (not even double) the normal recommended dose.............blew me away. I had around 6 doses (taken over a two week period) and every single one of those 6 doses not only blew me away, but blew away the drug I thought was the finest pharmaceutical I would ever have .. ie . flunitrazepam..... And here comes a tablet that hasn't been produced for over 30 odd years (the ones I found expired around 1988 or even before then).

They were removed from the market before the 1990's for obvious reasons, they were just too nice and so clean fealing / but at 5 times the dose they were deadly.

Hence the arrival of the benzos.

Vesparax was better than any other pharms I have ever had (including methaqualone which was a little weaker than the tuinals IME),,,,, so when I saw this thread I had to let all of you who are wondering what the big fuss was know "what the big fuss was".

Vesparax takes the crown and is unbeaten to this day.

So recreational use of barbiturates was a one way street downhill back in the day, but for me those six doses of Vesparax had such a positive psychological effect on my whole outlook of the future, I mean why am I even typing this about a drug that is extinct?

In fact I have probably posted the same story three times here on Blue Light, over the last year.

Well, shit, they were just "worth writing about" and I chose your thread to write "my" experience with them and wish I could have helpled "The Jimmy Hendrix Experience" - pun intended , and he only took 6 tablets with a little alcohol.

LD=10 and still they were prescribed much in the same way as benzos are today.

Imagine how many peeps perished.

It isn't the drug's fault, that's for damn sure.

That's all folks.

Good nite guys, and take it easy out there.

Selah

Last edited:
The Barbiturates that are out on that market today are generally not considered recrational. I'm referring specifically to Butalbital (one active ingredient of Fioricet), a migraine medication and Phenobarbital (Luminol) which is used sometimes as an antiepileptic/anticonvulsant. Neither is very potent and I would actually rather have Diazepam (Valium) over either one of them, but this is just my personal opinion.

The Barbiturates that history knows well are Pentobarbital (Nembutal), Secobarbital (Seconal) and Amobarbital (Amytal, or, combined with Secobarbital as Tuinal). You occasionally hear about someone with extreme, treatment resistant insomnia being treated with Secobarbital, but it's just getting rarer and rarer. For the most part, these substances are dead and buried. They don't even use them in Iraq anymore, and well, it's Iraq, so that goes to show you that they're perceived as archaic in the general medical community.

I'm not saying Butalbital or Phenobarbital lack recreational value of any kind, but they're probably not going to give the that full Barbiturate experience that you're seeking. They are just too mild and long-acting to provide a high level of euphoria.

I believe this why they also mostly stopped using them in rehabs as well, with the exception of hardcore alcoholics.
I nearly died after being given phenobarb in a rehab facility several years ago.
Yes! My rehab gave phenobarbital to everyone who identified as an alcoholic. I'm not saying that I'm not an alcoholic, but I was never physically addicted, just a heavy binge drinker at parties and bars.
I had to get approval to be taken off of it even though it was considered dangerous to mix with my bipolar meds.

The only person I've known who has ever taken barbs on a regular basis was my mom, who I guess used to take Seconal (secobarbital) back in the early 70's. My grandfather died from cancer and they were prescribed along with pain medication...he didn't take most of the prescription though so his daughter took the rest. She described the effect of Seconal as being "like Valium, only stronger". Since diazepam is probably the more "recreational" benzodiazepines I've tried (which isn't saying much, buuut...) maybe those pills were pretty nice...guess I'll never know though, *sigh* Oh well.

I was reading in a pharmacology textbook that an IV preparation of amobarbital was something used in some forms of psychiatric therapy sessions, I guess in an effort to make people open up about their lives & problems more. I'm not sure how well it worked or what kind of dose was administered, but I just found that to be interesting.

I've always wanted to try secobarbital and pentobarbital. Butalbital and phenobarbital are the only ones I've tried. They aren't the best.

Old school barbiturates are used by vets today to euthanize cats and dogs. An overdose puts you to sleep gently. Then you stop breathing and don't wake up. I read that some of the vet drugs make it to the black market. I'd love to find it somewhere.

Finally got round to reading the replies to my thread. Some good reading. I'm gonna take the advice and not use them atall. I'd imagine it would be incredibly difficult to get a hold of any anyway. I think I'll stick to diazepam for my go to as a now n then get away drug of choice.

Finally got round to reading the replies to my thread. Some good reading. I'm gonna take the advice and not use them atall. I'd imagine it would be incredibly difficult to get a hold of any anyway. I think I'll stick to diazepam for my go to as a now n then get away drug of choice.
Wise choice.

I've been a Benzo/Sedative fiend for 7 years now, and if I could turn back the clock I would have used them very differently. The only Barbiturate I've ever tried was Phenobarbital which I used to buy when I lived in Viet Nam. It's nothing special, it lasts a long time and can give some degree of contentment to anxiety sufferers. But if you need a 'now and then' getaway drug, you're much better off with Diazepam. It's much safer. Just so long as you do keep it a 'now and then' drug, as addiction can creep up on you.

Safe ;)

Yea man will do. I can imagine all the barb horror stories piling up when they were about. I'd rather not add a story to that pile.

Good thing I didn't have the internet in the 80s. Or the age to want to experiment.

I used to help my dad and worked in his lab adjacent to the level 1 trauma hospital in town. When I was around 8 I started helping him with his research which was done on rats and occasionally sheep. I would scrub in and he would crack their chest and cut the vessels going to heart and tie them to tubing hooked to a pump and machine which then monitored and eventually pumped the blood. Many times an artery would spray blood everywhere.

The point is he had large 500 cc bottles of phenobarbital, pentabarbial, and probably some others I don't remember. These were med grade sterile bottles with a rubber spot to draw out a dose with a sterile needle. I don't know what he used it for but he used it with every experiment and had many new bottles on hand. And it wasn't locked up or tracked at all. Never knew what it was but I can still see the bottles. I've always wanted to try a real deal barb just out of curiosity. Wish I knew then. When he got rid of his lab he kept a lot of stuff because his work paid for it. I need to go thru everything and make sure I'm not sitting on a gold mine. Though I don't know if it's still good after all this time.

The funny part was when I went to go get lunch which was at the hospital cafeteria and the faculty lounge was next door which I also went to. But the looks I got being a little 8 year old in scrubs covered in blood and getting lunch. Doogie Housier was popular back then and I swear I had people's jaw drop watching me walk around. Also had tons of pretty college girls stop me and ask if it was a joke and what I had been doing. It usually seemed very flirtatious and they would be super interested even if I wasn't a real surgeon. Seriously remember like groups of ten girls standing around asking me stuff. My dad would go with me about half the time if he could and would sit back and laugh his ass off and even get colleagues to go and have a laugh. Just because I was wearing bloody scrubs in a major hospital. Dad also always had a hot was lab tech and would have a steady stream of girls coming to ask questions from the classes he taught. There were the few guys as well but they just mess with the legend of the story.

He got nominated for teacher of the year every single year and they had to limit how often a person could get it so some of the other teachers would win. But he won every single time he became eligible.

I wish I had just a fraction of the game that man has. And I wish I had some of those bottles. Because I would like to see why they were so popular at least once.

I know why people like a bunch of other drugs but not that one. Or crack... Well there's probably quite a few I never tried.

Anyways, sorry for rambling. Just hit the 72 hour mark of opiate WD and just trying to keep my mind busy. Withdrawals have honestly been very minor for last day. Don't know if I'm lucky or just got the right mix of things to help. Have been having my abdominal pain which sucks because that's what started this decade of heavy opiate use.

Sorry again for rambling. Self medicating a bit with other things to help with stomach pain. Going to need to find something besides opiates and getting wasted.

Last edited:
There's a reason Barbrtuates are rarely
Prescribed. Dangerous even taken as instructed.
Don't do them......

In fact there's a lot of people who dies from taking prescribed medication or perhaps because they have mixed other meds.

EDIT - SHIT THIS IS A LONG POST ,,,.... :!

Oh well read on if you like.

After enjoying the "wonder years" ( In the beginning, around the year 1993 ) - I started taking the pharmaceuticals that made me feel like a king, and had no idea the word tolerence even applied to my nightly treats.
This lasted for many years without dissapointment.
(Flunitrazepam and weed or Temazepam and weed or Diconal and weed), I felt great on all of them, with the Flunitrazepam/weed combo was my DOC until life started catching up with me and I had no choice but to stop taking them.

Skip the middle section of time my late twenties/early thirty's, where acid, E and a roofie for the comedown), I moved on to a pretty normal life without the pleasures of the past.
In fact I was so happy to get my hands on a few temazepams and diconal recently, but it just wasn't the same and felt no desire to try make it like it used to be.

But the point of this lengthy intro is about barbiturates.
I got hold of the last 25 or so "pulvets" of sodium seconal and a dozen Tuinals (a combination of amobarbital and secobarbital) and I was not dissapointed with them at all, or worried about getting addicted again, because they were literally the last batch on this continent.

But after thinking Flunitrazepam was the best pharmaceutical I had ever taken. I was proven wrong 14 years after my last rohypnol dose.
For all those years I would think of how nice they felt and that they were in a class of their own never to be beaten.

Until around 6 months ago.

I had an epiphany.

VESPARAX. (who would have "thunk" it possible).

Only had around a weeks supply, but this barbiturate combo all in one pill (50 mg brallobarbital, 150 mg secobarbital and 50 mg hydroxyzine) Even at a dose of one and a half (not even double) the normal recommended dose.............blew me away. I had around 6 doses (taken over a two week period) and every single one of those 6 doses not only blew me away, but blew away the drug I thought was the finest pharmaceutical I would ever have .. ie . flunitrazepam..... And here comes a tablet that hasn't been produced for over 30 odd years (the ones I found expired around 1988 or even before then).

They were removed from the market before the 1990's for obvious reasons, they were just too nice and so clean fealing / but at 5 times the dose they were deadly.

Hence the arrival of the benzos.

Vesparax was better than any other pharms I have ever had (including methaqualone which was a little weaker than the tuinals IME),,,,, so when I saw this thread I had to let all of you who are wondering what the big fuss was know "what the big fuss was".

Vesparax takes the crown and is unbeaten to this day.

So recreational use of barbiturates was a one way street downhill back in the day, but for me those six doses of Vesparax had such a positive psychological effect on my whole outlook of the future, I mean why am I even typing this about a drug that is extinct?

In fact I have probably posted the same story three times here on Blue Light, over the last year.

Well, shit, they were just "worth writing about" and I chose your thread to write "my" experience with them and wish I could have helpled "The Jimmy Hendrix Experience" - pun intended , and he only took 6 tablets with a little alcohol.

LD=10 and still they were prescribed much in the same way as benzos are today.

Imagine how many peeps perished.

It isn't the drug's fault, that's for damn sure.

That's all folks.

Good nite guys, and take it easy out there.

Selah
Its rumored that Jimi Hendrix drowned in wine. It was pure in his lung's, not vomited up wine that got in there.

His blood Alcohol promillage also was about zero. The coroner never saw something alike. Jimi was also involved in the counter culture through his anti establishment music and the Black Panther's according to the released CIA paper's. So was kept under close surveillance.

Phenobarbital shouldn't be given to alcoholics, especially at the 100mg+ range I was started out on for heavy, daily, years long Xanax, etizolam, and Valium abuse. For me they felt like nothing. Alcohol couldn't get me out of benzo withdrawal but I'm sure it works the other way around.

(The last part is what I'm saying not Chelle idk why it keeps doing that)