View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Recreational DXM Permanent Side Effects

Thpndleton1010

Greenlighter
I've been reading a lot about recreational use of Dextromethorphan (DXM) and have been considering using it myself. The only thing that has stopped me from using DXM is user reports I have read about DXM causing permanent side effects; loss of sex drive to be more specific. I've read about some users who only suffer from this side effect during the actual trip and others who seem to suffer this side-effect for a significantly longer period; days, months, even years after using DXM. I was ready to use DXM recreationally for the first time until I began reading more into the risks and side effects associated with DXM use, and so far the only side effect that I've read about being permanent was loss of sex drive. (If there are any other possible permanent side effects of DXM abuse that I haven't mentioned, please let me know). After learning of this possible side effect, I began doing extensive research about permanent loss of libido, and have not found a satisfying answer as to how common this is, but I guess my question is how common is it for DXM users to experience persisting or even permanent sexual dysfunction? I've been wanting to use DXM for a little while now, but this uncertainty is causing me to avoid even trying DXM once.

I think loss of sexual desire on DXM is caused by two mechanisms, first it's a SNRI which are known for decreasing sensitivity and increasing difficulty to orgasm (related compounds are known as treatments for premature ejaculation), and second and most importantly it is a dissociative anesthetic, which makes bodily sensations seem less relevant.

Either way, occasional use of DXM should not destroy your sex drive. I would only expect it to do so while you're high on it, and in the case you abuse it daily.

Okay, so do you think that every time a person uses DXM recreationally, it does some amount of permanent damage to their sex drive, even if it is very minor? Or is it only in the case of someone who uses it quite often that they would begin to suffer permanent damage to libido?

I've been an occasional binge user for about the last 5 years and haven't noticed any loss in my libido. You may experience loss of sex drive during the high as sekio mentioned. The side effects I've found that persisted days up to a week after are slightly poor word recall and euphoria.