• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol recovering after an alcohol posioning length

en10se

Bluelighter
Hey just wanted some others input on this question, Recently just had alcohol posioning on saturday , very awful, but not the first time either. I always thought it takes like 24 hours initialy after soberinh up to start recovering from the worst parts, and then 1 more 24 hours to fully feel better. Anyone have any opinions or facts on acute recovery after alcohol posioning. Im not trying to drink again, just want to know when ill be back feeling 100 percent.

Depending on the amount you drank, how often you drink, and the steps taken upon said ingestion of alcohol it could take up to a week to feel normal. Did you go to a hospital? Did get stomach pumped? Did they administer charcoal? Did they give you an IV? If so I would say 48 hours. Or did you just wake up the next day alive and try to treat it on your own? If so I would say a full week. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you, how long have you been a heavy drinker, and how much do you drink per session?

hi thanks for the speedy reply. I am an alcoholic, in and out of AA. I am 20 years old weigh 180 pounds, recently my drinking has been very minimal in how often, but when i do drink its always a binge. My cycle right now is sober 2 weeks, then i binge on 80proof vodka for 1 day (kettle one). Sometimes it is 1 week sober, sometimes 3 weeks sober, but never earlier or later then that. This time I drank roughly the whole fifth in 2-3 hours, I say roughly because I blacked out and may or may have pourn some out, so give or take 14 shots in those 2 hours. (very little to eat that day) Blackedout slept, woke up at 2:00am vommitting, continued to vommit until 12:00am where I went to the hospital because I couldnt keep down even a glass of water. They gave me iv fluids, zofran, and kept me for a few hours until I could eat again. My heart rate all day after the posioning was very high resting at 120, where as my normal resting is 60.

Last edited:
Ya, you are actually going through alcohol WD. It can be deadly, the risk of seizure is just as real as benzo WD. Having been through opiate WD a million times and alcohol WD a million times and having been through both of them at the same time quite a few times, I can tell you it is time to go to a detox center. Somewhere they can get you on either librium or valium during your WDs and go off of it just as quickly. Then you need to go to rehab. It took me going to rehab to really understand the importance of AA and how to truly work it. You need to get a sponsor and you need to work through the steps immediately. Alcohol despite being legal is the worst drug out there IMO because when used frequently it does actual damage to the body every time it is used. Alcohol WD can last up to two weeks. If you only were bingeing for 3 weeks I would say about a week total of WD. I hope you get help alcohol is fucking brutal. I just had my one year birthday from AA last month. Good luck...

Oh I am sorry if I worded it wrong, I am sober for 1-3 weeks, then get blackout drunk for 1 day. Sorry about that. thats the cycle.

Oh I am sorry if I worded it wrong, I am sober for 1-3 weeks, then get blackout drunk for 1 day. Sorry about that. thats the cycle.

Nope! My bad, I just read it too quickly. I just usually think of a binge as lasting for more than one day because I use to binge for months at a time. I mean true alcoholism, every time I felt like I was going to throw up I would just drink more and it would all go away. For a long time I thought it was opiate WD but after realizing it would go away with some booze I realized I was going through alcohol WD. Very bad time in my life. Before I was treated for my PTSD, as I was getting out of the Army, and right as my wife was divorcing me.

If it was just one day I would say you should be feeling better in 48 hours, also the Ativan should help a lot. Valium or Librium like I mentioned would help a lot more because of the half life.

Thank you very much for the info, from the horror stories I hear about alcoholism (very large in my family, both parents met in AA), I couldnt even fathom. Hope you keep getting those chips good luck with you and recovery.

Thank you very much for the info, from the horror stories I hear about alcoholism (very large in my family, both parents met in AA), I couldnt even fathom. Hope you keep getting those chips good luck with you and recovery.

You too my friend, seeing that you are 20 I don't really think there is much that I can do to make you want to stop, but seeing that your parents are in recovery and in AA I am sure you know all there is to know about it, you just have to learn the hard way (so did I) except oddly enough as far as I know nobody in my family has suffered from addiction like me. In rehab we traced it back as far as we could and eventually not enough was known that is how far it went back. That is why my doctor had me checked out, I suffer from quite a few mental disorders, but a very specific neurological condition known as d1 dopamine deficiency disorder. Meaning my body does not produce dopamine properly, so I do not feel happiness in normal things that I should. And drugs are the only way for me to live a normal life. They normally only look for this if you have no genetic OR environmental reason to be an addict, and it literally has you seeking out drugs from the day you are born.

Mad Dash is a wealth of information and this site should count it's blessings he is well informed and likes to share it.
Anyway op I'm sure you've been told this while you were in the hospital but I'll give it to you again,when you are that intoxicated to the point of acute alcohol poisoning you are close to death.You can either die by alcohol induced sleep apnea(where your body forgets to breathe while passed out) or from asphyxiating on your vomit(choking on puke)or the final alternative seizing and convulsing until you die of a massive heart attack. I had alcohol poisoning and threw up past the bile until it looked like dried shit was coming out of my mouth(it was chunks of blood) and lying in a pool of vomit,it's not pretty.Please get help!

wow, thanks brother, that was really kind of you to say. As always you are really a great poster. Wish we had more like you! But ya sounds like you guys know where I am coming from on this level of drinking so I am curious if this ever happened to you. Did it become so bad that you would gag and or vomit just by trying to brush your teeth in the morning? As soon as I started feeling that throwing up nothing but bile feeling I would just take another swig and all was well (in my own little world) After I got out of the Army I had a month before going to rehab and then when I finished rehab moving to NJ trying to resolve my marriage with my now ex-wife, who has no idea how well I am doing these days, nor cares I guess. But in that month I had nothing to do except for prepare all my stuff for the move.

Being in the Army, I had become surprisingly efficient at packing, I was done in a day. Day two I had already sold all my furniture. So I literally had nothing to do until I went to rehab. I was already very depressed with my injuries, and I was already abusing the oxycodone. I told the doctors at the hospital about my situation and moving and not being able to get established so I had what seemed like a good amount of oxy and I bought a lot of booze, 3 weeks in I was out of opiates, so I started WDing, and upped the alcohol intake to cover for it, I managed to get the doctor to RX me 30 more 15 mg roxys because I said I was going straight to rehab. Even though he wasn't my doctor any more and I wasn't in the army he somehow went into the pharmacy and got them and said "please get clean son you look like hell."

I took the entire RX that night hoping to kill myself but told myself if I did wake up I was going to rehab. By the time I got to rehab I was a fucking mess. I mean the nurse that was doing all my tests started crying and gave me a hug because she saw tears rolling from my eyes yet I couldn't frown or make any other expressions because I was so numb from over 400 mg of oxy still lingering in my system. That rehab saved my life. I was so low I couldn't jump up and touch the bottom. Every group went pretty much the same way, me saying how I failed everyone I loved (mostly my wife) and how everything was my fault and I guess it was obvious to everyone BUT me that my wife was a violent emotionally and physically abusive nightmare. I took months of therapy after the divorce to get that through my head.

Glad you are alive, man. You should feel better in a couple days probably but here's the bad news bro: it won't get any better. If you are doing this at 20 consider yourself fortunate that you already have the experience of ina and out of AA, because at least you know there are ways out, including programs other than AA. But this kind of drinking for your age is a pretty good sign that your problem isn't likely to taper off, it's likely to increase and get worse. The length of time between binges doesn't mean anything, you will pick up right back where you left off. Alcoholism is progressive that way.

I'll tell you my story. I started drinking at 9 and didn't stop till I was in my 40's. I have terminal degrees in two professional fields, my clinical degree from an Ivy League. I've always worked, have a solid professional reputation, and was a highly functional drunk and addict. My tolerance over the years grew so high that I could not drink enough to get the drunk I craved, and because there was no such thing for me as leaving a bottle of anything unfinished this led to the inevitable alcohol poisoning that nearly took my life. In an attempt to feel my drunk I consumed a litre of 100 proof liquor in an hour or so. I remeber buying it and starting to drink it in three finger glasses chased with strong beer.

The next thing I knew I was strapped to a bed with a tube down my throat begging them to take it out. I had no idea that my mom had found me with dried foam around my mouth from seizures, or that I had coded and crashed 5 min after EMS hooked me up and then once again a few min from the ER. My breathing had stopped, my heart had stopped and had been in a coma for three days while my wife was wrestling with pulling the plug. That I regained autonomic breathing is amazing. That I am not intellectually disabled is a miracle.

Looking back from years away its easy to see what was happening to me and I'm very, very lucky that the desire to drink was completely lifted, like pressing a reset button. But I am very clear that were I to resume drinking tomorrow I would be right back where I was the night that happened, probably in about a week or 10 days. And that, as they say, would be that.

You will never be able to drink normally. You will always be a blackout drinker and an alcohol poisoning drinker. The sooner you come to terms with that the sooner you can learn to move on with your life. If you continue to try and find out the hard way chances are you will wake up dead, and that's a fact.

Best of luck. Keep coming back.

^^ Fig definitely knows what he is talking about, this guy is pretty much the best source for information about living sober or getting clean. And like all of us he has lived the life and has the scars to prove it. I would certainly heed his warning. I hope you do not force yourself to find out the hard way, because like he said... there is always the possibility that next time you simply don't wake up.

I've had alcohol poisoning a few times in my life, and usually it takes 5-7 days to feel "right" again.

You have more self control than me. I drink every single day of my life to the point of getting wasted. I'm 20 too lol

I've had alcohol poisoning a few times in my life, and usually it takes 5-7 days to feel "right" again.

You have more self control than me. I drink every single day of my life to the point of getting wasted. I'm 20 too lol

I would suggest the same advice I gave him. But knowing how it is when you are 20 I don't know that there is anything I can say that would help you stop.

When I was in prison going through opiate wds there were alcoholics in there going through them as well(don't know how they get away with not giving meds for wds in prion in the state I'm in but they do) and the state these poor souls were in made me feel less bad. They would have horrible tremors and shake like a parkinsons patient,hallucintate,sweats,naseau the whole 9 yards.

After seeing one go through the dts it's hard to believe alcohol is legal compared to some other drugs,it'll kill you!

Depending on the amount you drank, how often you drink, and the steps taken upon said ingestion of alcohol it could take up to a week to feel normal. Did you go to a hospital? Did get stomach pumped? Did they administer charcoal? Did they give you an IV? If so I would say 48 hours. Or did you just wake up the next day alive and try to treat it on your own? If so I would say a full week. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you, how long have you been a heavy drinker, and how much do you drink per session?
Hey G'ville brah. I always feel fully recovered after 48 hours. Nothing worse than feeling and puking every half an hour. But after a good puke, you tend to feel a little better. I'm a beer drinker and the amount I drink, for some reason, varies weekend to weekend. I downed 18 beers in 6 hours (1.3 standard drinks per a beer) and felt fine. Another time I drank less than 12 and had a motherfucker for a hangover ... If you're drinking heavily, be sure to drink a lot of water in between, as it can really help with hangovers and their intensity and duration.