• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Computing Recommendations, anyone?

BlossomsBlooming

Bluelighter
Shockingly, I have never owned a computer. I am finally in the market, and would love to hear opinions regarding best laptop for writing/research/remote work. Most likely will be used primarily at home, so laptop vs desktop considerations are welcome as well. Thanks in advance, kids. ✌️🩵

How often do you need to use it away from home? That determines whether you really need a laptop. If you can make due with a desktop, it's a better (and far more affordable) option for first 'puter.

As for what to get I'd say a refurbished Dell OptiPlex is a solid choice, they're meant for business use so it's very no-nonsense and easy to operate, comes in a good size that doesn't impose, and doesn't break the bank.

You'll also need a keyboard/mouse combo (Logitech is good brand for that) and a screen/monitor/display (Acer, LG, Samsung are good options) and that should be enough to get you started.

How often do you need to use it away from home? That determines whether you really need a laptop. If you can make due with a desktop, it's a better (and far more affordable) option for first 'puter.

As for what to get I'd say a refurbished Dell OptiPlex is a solid choice, they're meant for business use so it's very no-nonsense and easy to operate, comes in a good size that doesn't impose, and doesn't break the bank.

You'll also need a keyboard/mouse combo (Logitech is good brand for that) and a screen/monitor/display (Acer, LG, Samsung are good options) and that should be enough to get you started.
I don't have a desktop, I have a laptop, but anytime I've thought about getting a desktop, it's an exorbitantly more expensive item than a laptop. Usually a laptop you can just drop a couple hundred bucks and get a solid one that'll last a while. With the desktop you need so many pieces to put it all together and decent ones seemed to be way more pricey all gold.

But maybe I'm looking in the wrong place or being too picky.

With the desktop you need so many pieces to put it all together and decent ones seemed to be way more pricey all gold.

Even though desktop laptops cost more than laptops they offer one big advantage - you can upgrade them so they last waaay longer than laptops. Especially in todays day and age when any TV that you own will replace the need(and money) for buying a dedicated monitor.

I love desktop PCs cause they bring longevity, adaptability and versatility. They will outlast laptops many yeras with an upgrade of HDD and RAM. But for all this to be true you just need to invest in one main component - motherboard. Pay extra for a motherboard that can support newest types of other components at the moment and fill your PC with components that are cheaper. Upgrading them in the future is easier and less expensive than upgrading laptops. With the benefit of already having TV and therefore no need for buying a monitor you can build desktop that will serve you for many years. Just wait for some deal for the motherboard that has all connectors for newest versions of RAM and HDD and buy older versions of everything else. Connect it to yor TV and enjoy the journey.

Just have in mind that I am talking about computer that is not an gaming console. Laptops have their place but not cause they can be held in a lap, but cause they can follow you wherever you go.

At least this has been my experience. And in the times when smartphones can be used as laptops for many purposes I am definitely an desktop groupie. 🤣

great advice already.

i have a windows desktop and a macbook pro and love them both for different reasons.

best laptop for writing/research/remote work.

can you define remote work? what's your budget?

if your needs are modest in terms of resources - and writing and research likely are - you might be just fine with a chromebook. you can get a great chromebook for $400 or $500.

alasdair

I don't have a desktop, I have a laptop, but anytime I've thought about getting a desktop, it's an exorbitantly more expensive item than a laptop. Usually a laptop you can just drop a couple hundred bucks and get a solid one that'll last a while. With the desktop you need so many pieces to put it all together and decent ones seemed to be way more pricey all gold.

the pre-built desktop market sucks, often it's just a way for retailers to dump components that don't move on their own.

that's why i suggested optiplex - it's a business computer optimized for cost, so no unnecessary components.

a basic optiplex is about $250, so the cost of a chromebook but with a faster processor.

the drawback is you don't get the mobility of a laptop and have to buy stuff like display and keyboard separately.

the benefit is the flexibility of being able to replace display and keyboard without also having to replace computer (and vice versa)

btw if you want a desktop you could easily build your own for $600-800 (that's with a GPU), it's easier to assemble than IKEA furniture. the only hard part is figuring out if any components are incompatible, but you just have to run the shopping list by someone who knows

Fabulous input! And greatly appreciated! I will be re-reading and chewing on all this info as I figure out exactly which directions I am heading in multiple areas of life. Clearly I am still on step one of this decision making process. 🤔🧐
Thanks again! 👩🏼‍💻💬💌

I believe a desktop would suit me perfectly in the future once my living situation is settled (contemplating a move or partial move to Mexico). Considering my languid inertia lately, that could take a while.

So, as a longtime I Phone user, a MacBook would be a smooth transition. But dang, are they worth the price? From what I’ve read, the newer Intel and AMD processors are pretty amazing, or no? Is it true that Windows is more susceptible to viruses? Also, what about refurbished? Open box too risky? Oy.

i have an m1 macbook pro. it's plenty fast.

i got it new but i buy plenty stuff refurbished - monitors, etc. - and ive never had an issue.

alasdair

So, as a longtime I Phone user, a MacBook would be a smooth transition. But dang, are they worth the price? From what I’ve read, the newer Intel and AMD processors are pretty amazing, or no? Is it true that Windows is more susceptible to viruses? Also, what about refurbished? Open box too risky? Oy.

Personally they're not worth the price to me, but I'm mostly a Linux user. Windows is pretty intrusive and now pushes ads too, so if you go with a Mac you'll get a cleaner experience. The other thing to consider is that Apple designs the hardware and software, so you can expect a certain standard of quality that Windows laptops/desktops don't always live up to.

I would say that if you're already leaning towards Macbook, then your gut instinct is probably right.

and yea, refurbished should be fine. I used to refurb electronics casually and most of the time it's just a component broken from wear that needs replacing, but people will scrap an otherwise functional device for such a reason.