• REAGENT TESTING & DRUG CHECKING Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Featured Link 1 Featured Link 2
  • RT&DC Moderators: arrall

reagent for hydrocodone

olmie75

Greenlighter
Have had issues with bogus Norco (Hydrocodone / Acetaminophen) pills, and I'm trying to test for authenticity. I have a known bogus one (pink 7.5) and known legit one (10 yellow)... I purchased some Marquis reagent from Amazon (seller Macanudo LLC). I scraped off some of each pill into the testing tray and added a few drops of Marquis reagent into both. Surprisingly, neither had any reaction (no change in color at all, just dissolved a bit and turned the mixture into the pill's shades of pink and yellow, respectively. Can somebody please provide some insight here? Shouldn't the legit Norco have turned the reagent dark purple? Is there a better way to test for legitimacy of Norcos?

There doesn't seem to be much information on the reaction of acetaminophen with the marquis reagent but the rare resources that are available suggest there is no colour change. This should allow the hydrocodone reaction to be reasonably obvious.

I'd suggest testing a reference material like sugar or aspirin and observing the reaction.

You have to use Mecke reagent (or Cobalt Thiocyanate if you can get a hold of that). Should turn "Dark bluish green" with Mecke or "Brilliant greenish blue" with the Thiocynate.

Acetaminophen/Paracetemol doesn't react with these two reagents so you should be fine to identify Hydrocodone.