Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Re formulated OxyContin

2c-frEak

Greenlighter
Hi all, so I read in the courier mail on Monday that MundiPharma have changed their OxyContin tablets to a new less abusable formula in an effort to reduce illicit use..
For the past year I have been prescribed 40mg Targin, oxycodone + naloxone, for chronic pain, last week I changed to OxyContin with the hopes of better pain relief.. But now they have changed to this new version which is suppose to gel up if mixed with water or flatten out like a marshmallow if crushed, I'm just wondering if anybody has come across the new tablets yet ( they only came out on April 1 ) and if they noticed whether they are as effective as the old ones? I've been checking blue light daily for info but as yet nobody has posted about them...
At a guess I'd think they would be similar to the OP oxycontin in America and be made from some sort of polymer.. But this is just a guess..
I get 56 of these bad boys every 28 days, now I'm thinking I should probAbly take a few weeks of pain n hold onto these since they won't be made anymore; at least until mid year when MundiPharmas patent runs out and we start seeing generics, provided the govt doesn't stop this from happening..
Any info would be appreciated, also readers could probably take this as a warning that Oxy may well dry up here fairly quickly :(

Not sure about mundipharma changing their formula for oxy but know there's been an mscontin generic for a while now. Have you looked on the mundipharma site or rang a pharmacist to verify? I wouldn't trust just a courier mail article.

believing what you read in papers for the idiotic masses such as the guardian is as stupid as doing drugs.

oxy and other opiate drugs are not going to dry up.

Ha the gardian, lol; poor excuse for newspaper... But no I tend not to believe what I read in newspapers, though I don't actively NOT read them for the sake of shunning mainstream media...
I didn't say opiate drugs would disappear, I merely suggested that if the main supplier of oxy was to change to a new harder to abuse formulation then it could be harder to obtain the easy to crush n play with OxyContin people are use to currently, it happened in the states an honestly I was surprised when it wasn't adopted here...
I checked out MundiPharmas site after I read the story, but didn't find anything, figured I'd check blue light instead

^yeah, there is a vast amount of information about this in other parts of the forum if you do a search. The OD archives is probably where most of these threads ended up.
This time release mechanism was used in the American market several years ago. It's not some bogus industry propaganda - it's a formulation that by most accounts is all but impossible to get around. Alleged to interfere with the therapeutic effectiveness of the medication as well (according to anecdotal reports, i can't comment on how accurate any such claims are).

Lots of desperate people seemed to post "I've beaten the time release on OPs" with an array of increasingly wacky home chemistry, before - it would seem - giving up and moving away from OxyContin.

You don't see those threads pop up any more.

What you do see is an awful lot about heroin (from the states - the place where the "oxy epidemic" first became a media obsession, and where the polymer matrix was first used in prescription painkillers).

I'm not suggesting any causal link between these two things...nor do I think Australian pain patients or oxy users generally will go the same way (different countries, vastly different contexts) but it's pretty fucked watching how this has played out in the USA.

Last edited:
For some reason that article won't load for me. Does it suggest the original OCs are being scrapped altogether with only the OP type going to be available?:

For some reason that article won't load for me. Does it suggest the original OCs are being scrapped altogether with only the OP type going to be available?:
Yup that's right OPs only from 1 April 2014 in Australia. The OCs will be dispensed until supplies run out of course but that won't be long.

http://news.wustl.edu/news/Pages/24025.aspx

Note this statement from Professor Cicero, primary author of this study:

"The most unexpected, and probably detrimental, effect of the abuse-deterrent formulation was that it contributed to a huge surge in the use of heroin, which is like OxyContin in that it also is inhaled or injected," he says. "We're now seeing reports from across the country of large quantities of heroin appearing in suburbs and rural areas. Unable to use OxyContin easily, which was a very popular drug in suburban and rural areas, drug abusers who prefer snorting or IV drug administration now have shifted either to more potent opioids, if they can find them, or to heroin."

Thanks ayjay. Doesn't affect me as oxy isn't my extended release med. Oxynorm for breakthrough.

Id say we might.see a jump in homebake if patients start switching onto mscontins in lieu of this move with the OPs.

^ I don't think we'll get any more MS Contin prescribing - GPs will be more than happy to prescribe OPs as they will be doing "the right thing" if you know what I mean.

I expect to see in the first instance an increase in injecting related harms until people get their head around the new pill, with eventually an overall drop in oxycodone injection. But don't worry I'm sure people will find something else to take its place :)

Damn, this is not good news!

I only fuck with oxy (or any opioid for that matter) once in a blue moon these days, but have always got a great deal of pleasure out of it. I guess I can cross OxyContin off of my list of good drugs. I would not of thought there was enough Oxy abuse in this Country to warrant such a move, but if, as another poster claimed, MundiPharma's patent for OxyContin was going to expire this year then this could well be a tactic on their part to extend it for the new formulation.

Damn, this is not good news!

I only fuck with oxy (or any opioid for that matter) once in a blue moon these days, but have always got a great deal of pleasure out of it. I guess I can cross OxyContin off of my list of good drugs. I would not of thought there was enough Oxy abuse in this Country to warrant such a move, but if, as another poster claimed, MundiPharma's patent for OxyContin was going to expire this year then this could well be a tactic on their part to extend it for the new formulation.

Evergreening

Just got my first packet of the OP's today, been on about 100mg a day of the OC 40's and oxynorm for a year now (legit back pain), will let you guys know how bad/good they are. If they are as bad as I have read, anyone with experience with chronic pain meds suggest the best alternative in AU? Thinking atm between Morph ER/Hydromorph ER with breakthrough etc. it would be much appreciated if anyone had input on the subject anyway. Cheers

EDIT: AFAIK Mundipharma's patent for the original OC does expire in July here in Australia so maybe APO or some generic will bring their Oxys over from canada. Here's to hoping anyway

Last edited:
I know MS-Contin and Kapanol are both time release versions of morphine that are pretty common, I think the doctors work out the morphine to oxy dose by roughly doubling? So 40mg of oxy may be 80-100mg morphine? Not entirely sure on that one though. I know someone on 50mcg/hour fent patches, he was on 60mg ms-contin a while back. Not sure when he changed over. I have my concerns about fentanyl patches being as effective for the time doctors say they should work, but I don't have any experience with them so I'm not sure.

If they're no good, tell your doctor. I'm sure that you'll be able to find an alternative, unless he's a real tight arse.

An update on the new OP's after being on them a while....basically they suck for any legitimate pain use even at 'equivalent' doses. Today I got switched over to Fent Patches (25mcg/hr - 50mcg/hr depending on how I go) with the same breakthrough, hopefully they are effective for the 72 hours doctors say they should work. If anyone's interested I can keep this thread updated with my experience but I dunno if anyone could give a fuck :)

I would imagine for recreational use the new Oxys REALLY suck but i dunno about that.

I had a dream last night that I was finally prescribed opiates for my legitimate pain. I was ecstatic, the dr laid out a variety of opiods and said something like "these are all suitable for your condition, take your pick". Instantly seeing the oxy 80's, I pointed at them and said they'd do fine. I got home (in my dream) and then realised they were the new formulation. I woke up. Pissed off I hadn't chosen something better, even in a dream.

Thanks for all the replies ppl, very helpfull.
I picked up my first boxes of th OPs at the start of last week, was hoping I'd get old stock of OCs but I'm not that lucky lol..
For pain relief they don't seem quite as effective as the OCs were but they still do the trick, I have had to use more endone for breakthrough pain though so that tells me they aren't as good as they should be.
Like another poster said MundiPharmas patent runs out fairly soon so it would be great if generics started being made once that happens, but I wouldn't be suprised if the only reason they have gone to the OP formular is to keep their massive share of the market.
I use these for legitimate pain relief, I have a broken hip and sacroillitis, so walking becomes a bit of a problem without proper pain management, I am having a total hip replacement TOMORROW morning after being in pain for years so I can't wait to be in a bit less pain lol.
Not sure if anybody else has tried to see if they can get around the time release system, I played around with one the other night and found that they don't crush very easily but they do chop up into very small chunks with a simple pair of scissors lol, not quite as fine as a powder though, so I guess they could be parachuted this way... I haven't taken the one I chopped up so I can't tell u if they become IRs sory.
It would be interesting to see if they do, I know they gell up something fierce if water is added to stop ppl injecting them, and I'd think even if one was to get one into a very fine snort able consistency then once snorted the pill would just gell up in you sinuses and not be absorbed as hoped-so it seems the only ROA that would work now would be oral dosing, perhaps of finely chopped pills.... Or shelving perhaps but I'm not sure on that one...

im a chronic pain patient myself, and had heard whispers of this from my GP a little while back not long after switching from oxycontin to mscontin in the last 5 months. looks like i may have made the appropriate switch just in time ;) fortunately though, my breakthrough medication is oxynorm (and the pure 30mg codeine tablets, which do fuck all for me so my friends who dont mind using "lighter" opiods appreciate madly when i hand them out like skittles - they LOVE the fact of not having to go through the CWE process.

so im not totally screwed when it comes to wanting some fun on oxy as a change from the morphine sulphate (and valium used as a muscle relaxant, sometimes baclofen in conjunction if things are out of control in that department) from time to time. i do still use the mscontins recreationally; IV'ing mainly otherwise plugging, using a micron filter and all the appropriate measures to limit to amount of harm in doing so - so no need for the prompt of this ;)

sad times for those of ya'll that mainly have access to oxy, and to those who would prefer it over morphine, as its going to be a huge deterrent and likely to push people onto heroin, likely causing a spike in overall smack use throughout the or perhaps a rise in the amount of morphine let out on the black market - who knows, right? im high on oxy at the moment so i might just be talking out my ass (as i can barely keep my eyes open having been up since 4:45am. might have to brush uff the cobwebs and get back into making some homebake ;) theres no doubt, in my own opinion, that the IR oxy caps and tabs are going to be a hot little commodity. especially the 20mg oxynorm for those who will still be chasing oxy.

those on oxy - SNAP THEM LAST SONNABITCHES OF THE OG OC'S WHILE YA STILL CAN!!

also - i hope those who continue on with the new formula are given the adequate relief without having raise their dosages too much, if that is their case, as there are quite a few anecdotes from many american throughout the forums, particularly in the Other Drugs, suggesting the efficacy can be a little less than that of the original mundipharma formula.

I got my hands on some endone, what's ppls thoughts? Any good?