• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Rare Condition Causes People to Brew Beer in Their Own Belly

Bluelight Crew
http://gawker.com/rare-condition-causes-people-to-brew-beer-in-their-own-1343519686

It's called "Auto-Brewery Syndrome," and it may take artisanal homebrewing to disturbing new lows.

In a report published recently by the International Journal of Clinical Medicine, medical professionals in Texas recalled treating a 61-year-old man who would regularly exhibit signs of inebriation despite not having drunk a drop.

"He would get drunk out of the blue — on a Sunday morning after being at church, or really, just anytime," Panola College dean of nursing Barbara Cordell is quoted as saying. "His wife was so dismayed about it that she even bought a Breathalyzer."

Despite being diagnosed by physicians as a "closet drinker," the man's condition continued to perplex Cordell, who eventually teamed up with Lubbock-based gastroenterologist Dr. Justin McCarthy to get to the bottom of this medical mystery.

After isolating him in a hospital room for an entire day and feeding him carbohydrate-rich foods, doctors noted that his BAC was a solid 0.12.

It turned out that an overabundance of brewer's yeast in the man's gut was causing his intestinal tract to act, as NPR put it, "like his own internal brewery."

continued: http://gawker.com/rare-condition-causes-people-to-brew-beer-in-their-own-1343519686

After isolating him in a hospital room for an entire day and feeding him carbohydrate-rich foods, doctors noted that his BAC was a solid 0.12.

I'd hate to be him and have a random booze bus stop. That would be one hell of a court case.

"It's not my fault I'm drunk! I can't stop my body from brewing it's own beer!"

I'm going genetically engineer a child with dna from weed and poppies, this is the moment we transcend the human race and become gods.

Too bad my belly button isn't an on/off switch for the production of oxycodone.

As someone in recovery, this sounds like an alcoholics nightmare!

Imagine, getting "sober" from booze, only to find out that your own body brews it..