Random High School Search/Drug Paraphernalia

Olyn

Bluelighter
A few months ago I was randomly searched while walking into (high) school and one of the VP's found rolling papers in my wallet. The school resource officer wrote me a citation for the papers (drug par.), and now I have to appear in court in Feb. I'm going to have to attend drug education classes in order to get everything dropped. How likely is it that I'm going to be required to take a urine test by the judge or for the class?

(Sorry if this isn't allowed, I know most testing questions are not.)

Olyn, I updated the thread title to make it more descriptive.

What are the possibilities of your arguing the papers are for tobacco consumption? If you weren't caught with drugs, it is only groundless speculation regarding the use of rolling papers.

This seems to me so out of line and invasive of your privacy that if it were me I would fight it all the way.

I would concur with Tobala. My understanding is that rolling papers are excluded from the definition of drug paraphernalia because of its legitimate use with tobacco.

Where are your parents in all of this (are they on your side)? You are a minor still, right? What information did you provide to your school VP, officers, etc (ie, did you admit that you use the papers for smoking weed)?

As far as a drug test is concerned, yes, the court could mandate drug testing.

As long as you didn't have any weed on you and didn't admit that the rolling papers were used for weed, I seriously doubt that the paraphernalia charge will hold up in court.

http://acluofnc.org is the website of the American Civil Liberties Union of North Carolina. They have a page focused on youth and student rights, but it seems to be mostly news about relevant cases. You might email them. They might take issue with how things are being done with your case and get involved. They might also be able to refer you to other resources.