MAPS (R)-DOI used for possible treatment of Arthritis and Alzheimer's

Enix150

Moderator, MAPS Forums
Serotonin 5-Hydroxytryptamine2A Receptor Activation Suppresses Tumor Necrosis Factor-α-Induced Inflammation with Extraordinary Potency

The G protein-coupled serotonin 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT)2A receptor is primarily recognized for its role in brain neurotransmission, where it mediates a wide variety of functions, including certain aspects of cognition. However, there is significant expression of this receptor in peripheral tissues, where its importance is largely unknown.

We have now discovered that activation of 5-HT2A receptors in primary aortic smooth muscle cells provides a previously unknown and extremely potent inhibition of tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-α-mediated inflammation. 5-HT2A receptor stimulation with the agonist (R)-1-(2,5-dimethoxy-4-iodophenyl)-2-aminopropane [(R)-DOI] rapidly inhibits a variety of TNF-α-mediated proinflammatory markers, including intracellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM-1), vascular adhesion molecule 1 (VCAM-1), and interleukin (IL)-6 gene expression, nitric-oxide synthase activity, and nuclear translocation of nuclear factor κB, with IC50 values of only 10 to 20 pM.

It is significant that proinflammatory markers can also be inhibited by (R)-DOI hours after treatment with TNF-α. With the exception of a few natural toxins, no current drugs or small molecule therapeutics demonstrate a comparable potency for any physiological effect.

TNF-α-mediated inflammatory pathways have been strongly implicated in a number of diseases, including atherosclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, type II diabetes, depression, schizophrenia, and Alzheimer's disease. Our results indicate that activation of 5-HT2A receptors represents a novel, and extraordinarily potent, potential therapeutic avenue for the treatment of disorders involving TNF-α-mediated inflammation.

Note that because (R)-DOI can significantly inhibit the effects of TNF-α many hours after the administration of TNF-α, potential therapies could be aimed not only at preventing inflammation but also treating inflammatory injury that has already occurred or is ongoing.

Last edited:
I have a close family member who suffers from severe rheumatoid arthritis unresponsive to various drug regimens. I'm wondering if this is a property of DOI or of fully agonistic 5ht2a agonism with significant PLA2 activation. I'm also wondering what sort of dosage regimen would be ideal for therapeutic use. I also suffer from moderate to severe psoriasis and like psychedelia. ;)

ebola

I have a close family member who suffers from severe rheumatoid arthritis unresponsive to various drug regimens. I'm wondering if this is a property of DOI or of fully agonistic 5ht2a agonism with significant PLA2 activation. I'm also wondering what sort of dosage regimen would be ideal for therapeutic use. I also suffer from moderate to severe psoriasis and like psychedelia. ;)

ebola
If you yourself suffer from it, then this should be fairly easy to test. Do you feel better after tripping?

I wouldn't be surprised if a low (sub-psychedelic dose) could be successfully used in geriatrics.

Well, my condition waxes and wanes enough that I'm thinking any effect would be lost in basal variation; nothing would be conclusive. I can say that I've never had an upswing in symptoms after tripping. My sister would be a good test case, but I don't know whether she'd be into it.

ebola

Hey, back in 2010 I tried this: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/507702-DOI-for-Arthritis-A-Daily-Journal

To sum up- I found great short term relief but it did not offer long term relief. Still, it was much better than ibuprofen or any other pharmaceutical that I could take.

Now I am exploring other psychedelic options to healing. DOI was pretty good at melting inflammation during the day I was on it, but I've had a few experiences with tryptamines (namely DMT and 4-aco-DMT) in which suppression of inflammation lasted for an entire week following the experience. I would like to try the combination of mushrooms and Syrian Rue to revisit this physically transformational psychedelic state.