• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Quote Me A Piece Of Writing That You Really, Really Love :)

^like giving an infant's liver to an inmate?

...we need to make choices about who we are going to be, but those choices always come with costs, and the foreknowledge of the loss involved can be debilitating. Another way I look at it is like an inevitable march to one's own destruction, or at least a complete loss of what has been, which is a kind of death.

Last edited:
THE RETREAT.
by Henry Vaughan

HAPPY those early days, when I
Shin'd in my angel-infancy !
Before I understood this place
Appointed for my second race,
Or taught my soul to fancy ought
But a white, celestial thought ;
When yet I had not walk'd above
A mile or two from my first love,
And looking back—at that short space—
Could see a glimpse of His bright face ;
When on some gilded cloud, or flow'r,
My gazing soul would dwell an hour,
And in those weaker glories spy
Some shadows of eternity ;
Before I taught my tongue to wound
My conscience with a sinful sound,
Or had the black art to dispense
A sev'ral sin to ev'ry sense,
But felt through all this fleshly dress
Bright shoots of everlastingness.

O how I long to travel back,
And tread again that ancient track !
That I might once more reach that plain,
Where first I left my glorious train ;
From whence th' enlighten'd spirit sees
That shady City of palm-trees.
But ah ! my soul with too much stay
Is drunk, and staggers in the way !
Some men a forward motion love,
But I by backward steps would move ;
And when this dust falls to the urn,
In that state I came, return.

Bold Lover, never, never canst thou kiss,
Though winning near the goal—yet, do not grieve;
She cannot fade, though thou hast not thy bliss,
For ever wilt thou love, and she be fair!

Last edited:
"There are other artificial ones which I meddle not with, as salutations and congees, by which men acquire, for the most part unjustly, the reputation of being humble and courteous: one may be humble out of pride. I am prodigal enough of my hat, especially in summer, and never am so saluted but that I pay it again from persons of what quality soever, unless they be in my own service.

I should make it my request to some princes whom I know, that they would be more sparing of that ceremony, and bestow that courtesy where it is more due; for being so indiscreetly and indifferently conferred on all, it is thrown away to no purpose; if it be without respect of persons, it loses its effect.

Amongst irregular deportment, let us not forget that haughty one of the Emperor Constantius, who always in public held his head upright and stiff, without bending or turning on either side, not so much as to look upon those who saluted him on one side, planting his body in a rigid immovable posture, without suffering it to yield to the motion of his coach, not daring so much as to spit, blow his nose, or wipe his face before people."

Excerpt From: Of Presumption - Michel de Montaigne

Hey pip, I knew you liked french poetry and essays and stuff like that, but not to that point :)

Fucking cool man ;)

^i love it, fifty cents at the library, totally non nondescript, saw selected essays in tiny print on the spine and that seemed good enough, had no clue who Michel Montaigne was.

yes ignorance can be bliss because this is great! every paragraph is a days worth of thought. compared to the translation i have this one doesnt have quite the same attitude, but still, freaking awesome.

=D

_________
get in where you fit in ;)
i am receptive towards this stuff
so thats what i get...

Last edited:
Do you really think ... that it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations that it requires strength, strength and courage, to yield to. To stake all one's life on a single moment, to risk everything on one throw, whether the stake be power or pleasure, I care not -- there is no weakness in that.

OSCAR WILDE, An Ideal Husband

This City

This apartment with no furniture,
where no one puts anything up,
where everyone schemes to get out.

This mess, to the right and the left of me,
that equation of garbage wherein matter moves its way,
the magazine sector in glanced-at demise.

This price, and that mind, and nothing to say but "violent."
Nothing but violence in the expensive mind.
Moving from the window towards morning.

These characters at the bottom, so generous
and pathetic. Those abstract things at the top,
so mean, precise and arresting.

That god-abandoned theatre with its three-legged dog.
Staying alone to learn the lesson, the lesson being
DO NOT SPEND NIGHTS ALONE FOR AWHILE.

This program, these organizations, these gatherings
and awards. This sweat that drags it down.
These pagans with large teeth and good eyes.

The profit sector giving us images, the nonprofit
passing out handbills, and worried.
The mind that grabs after information.

The dance changed every week so no one masters
any one dance. Carrying around the little guns
and knives, the bars owned by a friend.

The same economy that binds them together
pulls them apart. The little thems, staring
into the canyon. The all of us.

A sense of proportion, in this dense heat,
hearing the tune of romance behind the psychotic.
The profit sector giving us images.

Elegance, learning, poverty and crime.
Those who smell power must dog these.
The untuning of cement into many moods.

In audacity, in hilarity, this city
plays an unbelievable organ.
How afternoon goes like the movies.

-Liam Rector

"In all antiquity it is hard to find a dozen men who set their lives to a certain course,
which is the principle goal of wisdom. For, to compare it all in a word, says an ancient,
and embrace all the rules of our lives into one, it is 'always to wish and not to wish for the same thing', I would not deign, he says, to add, 'provided the wish is just';
for if it is not just, it is impossible for it to always be whole."

- M. Montaigne
On The Consistency Of Our Actions

"So I am a public agent and don't know who I work for, get my instructions from street signs, newspapers and pieces of conversation I snap out of the air the way a vulture will tear entrails from other mouths."

-William S. Burroughs
The Soft Machine

The Remarkable Objectivity of Your Old Friends

We did right by your death and went out,
Right away, to a public place to drink,
To be with each other, to face it.

We called other friends—the ones
Your mother hadn't called—and told them
What you had decided, and some said

What you did was right; it was the thing
You wanted and we'd just have to live
With that, that your life had been one

Long misery and they could see why you
Had chosen that, no matter what any of us
Thought about it, and anyway, one said,

Most of us abandoned each other a long
Time ago and we'd have to face that
If we had any hope of getting it right.

- Liam Rector

Alone with Everybody

the flesh covers the bone
and they put a mind
in there and
sometimes a soul,
and the women break
vases against the walls
and the men drink too
much
and nobody finds the
one
but keep
looking
crawling in and out
of beds.
flesh covers
the bone and the
flesh searches
for more than
flesh.

there's no chance
at all:
we are all trapped
by a singular
fate.

nobody ever finds
the one.

the city dumps fill
the junkyards fill
the madhouses fill
the hospitals fill
the graveyards fill

nothing else
fills.

- Charles Bukowski

Discover thou what is
The strong creature from before the flood,
Without flesh, without bone,
Without vein, without blood,
Without head, without feet;
It will neither be older nor younger
Than at the beginning.
Behold how the sea whitens
When first it comes,
When it comes from the south,
When it strikes on coasts.
It is in the field, it is in the wood,
But the eye cannot perceive it.
One Being has prepared it,
By a tremendous blast,
To wreak vengeance
On Maelgan Gwynedd.

- Taliesin

Shall I say, I have gone at dusk through narrow streets
And watched the smoke that rises from the pipes
Of lonely men in shirt-sleeves, leaning out of windows?…

I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

t.s. eliot

I just found this little gem, it's called Exact Change Only. I stumbled across it in a local drug users magazine.

I am a cunning vending machine, a-lurkin’ in the hall
So you can’t kick my delicate parts, I’m bolted to the wall
Come on! drop in your money, don’t let’s hang about,
I’ll do my level best to see you don’t get nothin’ out.

I see you all approachin’, the fagless and the dry,
All fumblin’ in your pockets, expectant in your eye.
I might be in your place of work, or on a high street wall,
Trust in me: in theory, I cater to you all.

Within these windows I provide for every human state:
Hunger, night starvation and rememb’ring birthdays late.
Just read the information, pop the money in – that’s grand.
And I’ll see absolutely nothing ever drops into your hand.

I might be at your swimming bath as you come cold and wet,
With just a shilling in your hand, some hot soup for to get.
And as you stand in wet anticipation for a sup,
I will dispense the soup for you, but won’t dispense the cup.

And then it’s all-out war because you lost your half-a-nicker,
Your mighty kicks and blows with bricks will make my neon flicker.
But if you bash me up so I’m removed, my pipes run dry,
There’s no way you can win: they’ll send my brother by and by.

Once there were friendly ladies, years and years before
Who stood with giant teapots just to warm your shiv’ring pores.
They’d hand you all the proper change and pour your cup of tea;
But they’re not economic, so hard luck: you’re stuck with me.

"But in our true blissful essence of mind is known that everything is alright forever and forever and forever. Close your eyes, let your hands and nerve-ends drop, stop breathing for 3 seconds, listen to the silence inside the illusion of the world, and you will remember the lesson you forgot which was taught in immense milky way soft cloud innumerable worlds long ago and not even at all. It is all one vast awakened thing. I call it the golden eternity. It is perfect. We were never really born, we will never really die.

It has nothing to do with the imaginary idea of a personal self, other selves, many selves everywhere: Self is only an idea, a mortal idea. That which passes into everything is one thing. It's a dream already ended. There's nothing to be afraid of and nothing to be glad about.

I know this from staring at mountains months on end. They never show any expression, they are like empty space. Do you think the emptiness of space will ever crumble away? Mountains will crumble, but the emptiness of space, which is the one universal essence of mind, the vast awakenerhood, empty and awake, will never crumble away because it was never born."

"You should never, never doubt something that no one is sure of.” ― Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

“A book is cheap to print and bind. A book is as private and consensual as sex. A book takes time and effort to consume - something that gives a reader every chance to walk away. Actually, so few people make the effort to read that it's difficult to call books a "mass medium." No one really gives a damn about books. No one has bothered to ban a book in decades.” ― Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

The coming of the purple better one (wm burroughs)
The scene is Grant Park, Chicago, 1968. A full-scale model of the Mayflower, with American flags for sails, has been set up. A.J., in his Uncle Sam suit, steps to a mike on the deck:

“Ladies and gentlemen, it is my coveted privilege and deep honour to introduce to you the distinguished senator and former Justice of the Supreme Court, Homer Mandrill, known to his friends as The Purple Better One. No doubt you are familiar with a book called The African Genesis, written by Robert Ardrey, a native son of Chicago, and, I may add, a true son of America. I quote to you from his penetrating work: ‘When I was a boy in Chicago, I attended the Sunday School of our neighbouring church. I recall our Wednesday night meetings with simplest nostalgia. We would meet in the basement. There would be a short prayer and a shorter benediction, then we would turn out the lights, and, in total darkness, hit each other with chairs.’ Mr. Ardrey’s early training tempered his character, to face and make known the truth about the origins and nature of mankind: ‘Not in innocence and not in Asia was mankind born. The home of our fathers was the African Highland. The most significant of all our gifts was the legacy bequeathed us by our immediate forebears, a race of terrestrial flesh-eating killer apes.’

“Raymond A. Dart of the University Of Johannesburg was the strident voice from South Africa that would prove the southern ape to be the human ancestor. Dart put forward the simple thesis that man emerged from the anthropoid background for only one reason: ‘because he was a killer. A rock, a stick, a heavy bone, was to our ancestral killer ape the margin of survival.’ (And now we sat in his office at the wrong end of the world). ‘Man’s original nature imposes itself on any human solution. The aggressive nature of the southern ape, suh, glowing with menace, fought your battles on the perilous veldts of Africa, 500,000 years ago. Had he not done so, you would not be living here, in this great city, in this great land of America, raising your happy families in peace and prosperity.’

“Who more fitted to represent our Simian heritage in all its glory than Homer Mandrill, himself a descendent of that illustrious line? Who else can restore to this nation the spirit of true conservatism, that imposes itself on any human solution? And at a time when this great republic is threatened by enemies foreign and domestic? Actually, there can be only one candidate: The Purple Better One, your future President!”

To The Battle Hymn Of The Republic, an American flag is drawn aside to reveal a purple-assed mandrill. (thunderous applause) Led to the mike by secret service men in dark suits that bulge suggestively here and there, The Purple Better One blinks in bewilderment.

The technician mixes a bicarbonate of soda and belches into his hand. He is sitting in front of three instrument panels, one labelled PA for Purple Ass, one labelled A for audience, a third labelled P for police. (crude experiments with rhesus monkeys have demonstrated that small currents of electricity passed through electrodes into the appropriate brain areas can elicit any emotional or visceral response : rage, fear, sexuality, vomiting, sleep, defecation. No doubt with further experimentation these techniques will be perfected and electromagnetic fields will supersede the use of actual electrodes embedded in the brain.) He adjusts dials as Homer’s mouth moves to a dubbed speech from directional mikes. The features of other candidates are projected onto Homer’s face from a laser installation across the park, so that he seems to embody them all:

“At this dark hour in the history of the Republic, there are grave questions troubling all our hearts. I pledge myself to answer these questions. One question is the war in Vietnam, which is not only a war, but a Holy Crusade against the godless forces of communism. And I say this to you: if these forces are not contained they will engulf us all. (thunderous applause) And I flatly accuse the Administration of criminal diffidence in the use of atomic weapons. Are we going to turn a red and blue ass to the enemy? (NO! NO! NO!) Are we going to fight through to victory at any cost? (YES! YES! YES!) I say to you, we will win, if it takes ten years. We will win, if we have to police every blade of grass and every gook in Vietnam. (thunderous applause) And after that, we’re going to wade in and take care of Chairman Mao, and his band of cut-throat slave-drivers. (thunderous applause) And if any country shall open its mouth to carp at the great American task, well, a single back-handed blow from our mighty Seventh Fleet will silence that impotent puppet of Moscow and Peking. Another question is so-called Black Power. I want to go on record that I am a true friend of all good darkies everywhere.” (to wild applause, a picture of the world famous statue of Natchitochas Louisiana flashes on screen) “As you all know, this statue shows a good old darkie with his hat in his hand.” (Homer’s voice chokes with emotion, and tears drip off his nose) “Why, when I was fourteen years old, our old yard Nigrah Jones got runned over by a laundry truck, and I cried my decent American heart out. And I have a deep conviction that the overwhelming majority of Nigrahs in this country is good Darkies like Rover Jones. However, we know that there is in this country today another kind of Nigrah, and, as long as there is a gas pump handy, we all know the answer to that. (thunderous applause)

“And I would like to say this to followers of the Jewish religion. Always remember we like nice Jews with Jew jokes. As for nigger-lovin’ communistic agitating Sheeneys, well, just watch yourself, Jew-boy, or we’ll cut the rest of it off. (That’s telling ‘em, Homer. What about the legalisation of marijuana?) Marijuana! Marijuana! Why, that’s deadlier than cocaine! And what are we going to do about that vile America-hating hoodlums who call themselves Hippies, Yippies and Chippies? We are going to put this scum behind bars, like the animals they are. (thunderous applause) An’ I tell you something else: a bunch of queers, dope-freaks, degenerates and dirty writers is living in foreign lands under the protection of American passports, from the vantage point of which they do not hesitate to spit their filth on Old Glory. Well, we’re gonna pull the passports of those dope freaks. (the technician pushes a sex button and the Simian begins to masturbate) Bring them back here and teach them to act like decent Americans. (the Simian ejaculates, hitting the lens of a Life-Time reporter) And I denounce as communist-inspired rumours that the dollar collapsed in 1959. I pledge myself to turn the clock back to 1899, when a silver dollar bought a steak dinner and a good piece of ass. (thunderous applause as a plane writes September 17th 1899 in the sky in smoke) I have heard it said that this is a lawless nation, that if all the laws in the land were enforced truly, we would have 30% of the population in jail, and the remaining 70% in the cops. I say to you, if there is infection in this great land, it must be cut out by the roots. I pledge myself to uphold the laws of America, and to enforce these hallowed statutes on all violators, regardless of race, creed, colour or religion. (thunderous applause) We will overcome all our enemies foreign and domestic, and stay armed to the teeth, for years, decades, centuries.”

The Simian bares his canines, shits on the deck, and wipes his ass with Old Glory. A phalanx of blue-helmeted cops shoulders its way through the crowd. They stop in front of the deck. The lead cop looks up at A.J. and demands: ” Let’s see your permits for that purple-assed son of a bitch.”

“Permits? We don’t have any stinking permits. You are talking about the future president of America.”

The lead cop takes a slip of paper from his shirt pocket and reads:”MUNICIPAL CODE OF CHICAGO, Chapter 98, Section 14: No person shall permit any such dangerous animal with a chain, rope or other appliance, whether such animal be muzzled or unmuzzled, in any public way or public place.” He folds the paper and shoves it into his pocket. He points at The Purple Better One: “It’s dangerous, and we got orders to remove it.” A cop moves forward with a net. The technician shoves the Rage Dial all the way up. Screaming, farting, snarling, the Simian leaps off the deck onto the startled officer, who staggers back and goes down, thrashing wildly on the ground, while his fellow pigs stand helpless and baffled, not daring to risk a shot for fear of hitting their comrade. Finally the cop heaves himself to his feet, and throws off the Simian. Panting and bleeding, he stands there, his eyes wild. With a scream of rage, The Purple Better One throws himself at another patrolman, who fires two panicky shots, which miss the Simian and crash through a window of the Hilton, into the campaign headquarters of a conservative southern candidate. A photographer from the London Times is riddled with bullets by secret service men, under the misconception that he has fired from a gun concealed in his camera. The cop throws his left arm in front of his face. The Simian sinks his canines into the cop’s arm. The cop presses his gun against the Simian’s chest and pumps in four bullets. Homer Mandrill thumps to the ground and bloody grass, he ejaculates, shits and dies. A.J. points a finger at the cop: “Arrest that Pig!” he screams, “Seize the assassin!”

A.J. was held on $100,000 bail, which he posted from his pocket in cash. Further disturbances erupted at the funeral, when a band of vigilantes who called themselves the White Hunters attempted to desecrate the flag-draped body, as it was carried in solemn procession through Lincoln Park, on the way to its final resting place in Grant Park. The hoodlums were beaten off by A.J.’s elite guard of Korean karate experts. A group of society women who had gathered in front of the Sheraton to protest the legalisation of marijuana were charged by police, screaming “Chippies! Chippies! Chippies!” and savagely clubbed to the side-walk, in a litter of diamonds, teeth, blood, mink stoles and handbags. As the Simian was laid to rest under a silver replica of the Mayflower, a statue of The Purple Better One at the helm, A.J. called for five minutes of silent prayer in memory of our beloved candidate: “Cut down in Grant Park by the bullets of an assassin … A communistic Jew Nigger inflamed to madness by injections of marijuana … The fact that the assassin had, with diabolical cunning, disguised himself as a police officer, indicates the working of a far-flung, communistic plot, the tentacles of which may reach into the White House itself. This foul crime shrieks to heaven high. We will not rest until the higher-ups are brought to justice, whoever they are and wherever they may be. We will realise the aspirations and dreams every American cherishes in his heart. The American Dream can be and will be realised. I say to you that Grant Park will be a shrine to all future Americans. In the words of the all-American poet, James Whitcombe Riley: “Freedom shall a-while repair, To dwell a weeping hermit there.”

Poésie Espagnole Porto Rico

the hours

How joyful are the hours! like a flock
of doves that wanders across the skies
tearing apart the frail veil of dawn,
making brighter the iridescent light.

Thus they cross the bluish atmosphere,
in a raucous rumble yet peaceful flight,
bringing an ilusion, a new yearning,
to my happy muse in-love.

I feel them pass by, by good fortune,
like extremely pure moonbeams