• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Quitting drugs - mainly IV meth

tiredeyore

Greenlighter
Hey, knew to that sight, been a longtime reader through a lot of ups and downs, and now really scared to go back to using again, was wondering if anyone had any advice. Do you just quit? I've been to AA but there's so many conflicting opinions and have tried those in the past. Scares me to think about going back , had been tapering with vyvanse due to work and a relatively short binge, don't know what to do now. Has self medication ever worked in the past without leading to abuse?

Cold turkey is the only route with drugs as compulsive as amphetamines. Sadly to say after my (plentiful) run ins with meth even caffeine and drinking make me crave like a mf.

IMO AA is a depressing circlejerk, as a methhead I didn't really get much out of the rehab/meeting crowd. Meth comedowns are tricky because no matter what you do you're in for months of inescapable and rightly due hell.

I'm 70 days sober and im just starting to feel okay again..

Yeah there is no just a bit with meth. Cold turkey, and it can be hell. Depression is a long lasting side effect.

Yeah there is no just a bit with meth. Cold turkey, and it can be hell. Depression is a long lasting side effect.

As Bptubbs says and what I keep forgetting to mention is depression..

This is an Atypical depression IME and the only way out of it I've had success with is enduring it. Any attempt at medicating this only prolonged it (the meds doctors gave me only complicated my experience)

So in essence, say that earlier took my last 20 mg vyvanse to get out of bed, now out and done. Going shopping for vitamins and healthy food, hoping to get back to the gym and meditation soon. Besides for that, what else worked, what did you do to help you quit? It sounds like it's essentially avoiding triggers and managing cravings. Has the Marijuana maintenence plan worked for anyone? I'm glad to hear you can do this without rehab and 12 steps tho... like I said it scares me to go back to using, but those meetings have never worked, if anything making it worse.

Na has a like 90% failure rate for meth. Idk about the pot I can't stand pot, but yeah vitamins and a healthy diet help along with exercise. I would recommend magnesium and any and all b vitamins.

Sorry if I'm dragging this thread out as far as questions answered, but I'm at the point where if I'm gonna get high again I'm just gonna go ahead and make that shot a hot one. I honestly used to really like pot, past 2 years have hated it and don't know why I'd honestly smoke it except to be having something to hold on to.

I guess I just don't understand what you gotta do- with the Vyvanse taper now done, today I'm like 5 days clean and don't want to go back. The idea behind addiction is simply that you have these cravings to use and you learn how to manage them without using, correct?

I'm about to head out to the gym right now, having always enjoyed lifting weights and still being on the younger side. Finally went grocery shopping todsy, bought a bunch of vitamins and protein powder. Hopefully start to meditate again soon , looking forward to a phone call from family tonight I prolly wouldn't answer if I were using. The other thing is the high relapse rates... starts to sound like your fucked for life.

Most people are forced into treatment, that's why it fails. If you want it you can do it. I've been clean a little over 4 months