Quitting cannabis - survey

Crazy I've tried to quit smoking weed tons of times and havent been able to make it more than a week yet!!

However, I've quit smoking ciggs, and quit drinking. Both of which any ordinary person would probably say I was "addicted" to.

I believe its because weed gives me something that these other "physically addictive drugs" won't give me so it's impossible to quit. Or maybe because it is so available. Or maybe it's even because I haven't had a valid reason to quit yet (I.E. a job drug test or probation drug test).

Either way all I know is.... I LOVE THE WEED =D

Sure its all in your head you dumb fucks, but once you get in the habbit of smoking every day for a few years+ it becomes something else. Now it becomes a routine that you are accustomed to and basically 'need' to feel good or normal. After smoking consistently for a long ass time once you decide not to smoke one day you will find your appetite is def affected, you may find that you have a head ache, and sleeping at night will be a total bitch. So you see it isn't really an addiction but it is a huge huge habit that forms and is incredibly hard to break the habbit. Especially when everyone of your friends smoke and msg you through out the day with the question wanna sesh? Some of you need to get real, when i use to smoke a few times a week it would be easy as hell to just be like alright no weed for today, or can't find bud no biggie. Now it is essential to having a normal day.

Just a note that I've merged two threads into one after discussion with Sally Rooke, who tells me this study is still being written up.

These forum is great. It is not biased. People like Sally from the government can speak up freely to people here and so as the the members who are taking drugs. This site defies the diversity between both parties. It also help the hooked get in touch with people who can get them out of it.

I've had no difficulty quitting; smoked cannabis for around four years, becoming a stoner (usually smoking at least every second day) for the last year or so. Lost interest in it recently, and haven't had a joint in about three weeks, no urge to smoke it whatsoever.
No adverse effects to report from quitting, though I did initially lose weight and I find I am sleeping less easily.
When I say "quitting", I don't imply that I will never smoke again; I probably will still get stoned on occasion if joints are being passed, but I can't see myself doing it regularly.

I was never a smoker and I despise tobacco, perhaps this is what has made it easier.

"It's just weed man I can stop smoking it so why can't you?"
A: Because you aren't the same as everyone else. Some people can quit heroin easier than cigarettes. Others can quit cigarettes easier than heroin. Some people can quit both and not weed. Others can quit weed but not heroin or tobacco. Some people hate speed. Others love it.

The point is everyones brain is different, and maybe the activation of cannabinoid receptors is being relied on much more by one person than it is another.

Try to tone down the insulting tones some, a few of you. People should be allowed to express their own opinions here and not be called "dumb fucks".

For me it is way harder to quit cannabis than anything else ive been addicted to. I was hooked on opiates for about two years and sure the w/d's were hell but once they were done i felt like a new man. With opiates i had to spend every penny i earned to stay buzzed, with weed i can stay high all day just from helping friends sell their shit. After living life totally stoned for the past 6 years, it is extremely hard for me to go one day with out smoking.

Last edited:
I think it`s almost insulting to call this addiction.
It`s a habit, it`s all in your head.

Well - it actually has a few physically addictive traits - like not being able to sleep without it, night sweats/nightmares - the insomnia lasts weeks sometimes.
My friend gave up ganja after about 18 years of smoking it basically everyday, and I've no idea how long it took her to be able to sleep properly, I could ask her for debate's sake.

I would agree that most of it is habitual, but to brush it off completely is not smart.

Just because you haven't experienced something, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

Weed has always been tough for me to quit because my reasons for quitting seem minor when compared to my other habits (past and present). It all depends on the severity of the consequences due to continued use.

For example, I need to quit cigarettes b/c I could very well die if I continue to smoke. If I was on probation or needed to pass a drug test for work, I'd quit smoking weed, but if it's just because I'm tired of the lack of energy, I probably won't quit.

There's a saying - "Change happens when the pain of staying the same is greater than the pain of change."

until the content of page 3 are read i will refrain from comments. What i think makes it hard to quit weed are that it does have a pleasent effect. Unlike cigarettes which only effect was making me feel a little less good, and so didnt feel all to missed. When i reduce or quit my daily consumption of thc i get one nasty pack of symptoms, depression and apathie.

What is worst is that there is no med available which could be used to ease the withdrawal, aided by the fact thc witdrawal and addiction are not always taken serious.
Something that from a harm reduction standpoint makes sense is to give thc addicts oral replacements or nasal inhalers (no smoke :D i feel harm reduction here), which are produced in the UK for medical use. And there were some good results with lofexidine. Because anything helpful in the first part of withdrawal could make the difference and prevent relapse, some mentioned the 21 day period. I found day four risk for relapse skyrockets probably tapering over a lengthy period.

How about aiding excretion of left over thc from the body. Is there a way to shorten this, i remember a oil gorgling method from dr Karach that supposesly flushes toxins from the body from under the tung. Could this technically speed up the recovery time, thc is fatbound and is being bound with the oil leaving the body from under the tong with other pollutants.

Yeah its habit forming for sure. And a bit addictive. Who hasnt heard all their stoner friends who blaze all day go, "dude I barely smoke anymore" when you know they are tokin it multiple times each day.

I even say that, oh yeah I barely blaze these days, and then next thing I know Im smokin a j every night. Its hard, because you know the consequences are less then something like if you were rolling every day or doing h every day. But that doesnt mean the consequences dont exist, so thats my personal problem

One thing about quitting weed that is unlikeany other drug withdrawl- you feel BETTER instead of like SHIT when you quit.

I disagree, though not completely. One doesn't actually get "withdrawls" when quitting weed (sweats, shivering, etc) But after I quit my head didn't stop hurting for a few weeks. Another downside, I gained weight. Who'd a thunk? :|

Crazy I've tried to quit smoking weed tons of times and havent been able to make it more than a week yet!!

However, I've quit smoking ciggs, and quit drinking. Both of which any ordinary person would probably say I was "addicted" to.

I believe its because weed gives me something that these other "physically addictive drugs" won't give me so it's impossible to quit. Or maybe because it is so available. Or maybe it's even because I haven't had a valid reason to quit yet (I.E. a job drug test or probation drug test).

Either way all I know is.... I LOVE THE WEED =D

You are definitely my kinda peeps!! Been 41 yrs of tokin pretty much daily & I, too, have quit drinking [been quit for 9 yrs] after 25+ yrs of HEAVY drinking & quit cigs after 40 yrs [been quit almost 3 yrs].
The booze wasn't difficult, as I had gotten to the point where the hangovers were lasting longer than the buzz. The cigs were tougher, but after about a week, I started feeling much better.
I'll toke until I croak...no joke!!=D....When I 1st got high in 1969, I knew then that this was [& always will be] my drug-of-choice. I always thought I'd live to see outright Legalization [like back in the mid-1970s when States were decriminalizing], but the Reagans set us back 50 yrs & now I doubt if I'll ever see legal weed.
While alcohol & tobacco continue to kill hundreds of thousands of people annually, weed continues to kill 0!!

1 more thing....I think anyone 21+ yrs of age should have the option to use any substance they prefer. Hasn't the federal government learned anything from the Prohibition Act of 1919?
People will always want their vices...& will find them however possible. Why not legalize it, tax it, & do away with the street corner thugs who are making a lotta $$$? Street gang revenue would plummett & the feds would be making THEIR $$$!! It's a win/win situation.

ween off smoking by eating it in baked goods, rasta pasta, etc...
you can also smoke damiana, skullcap, mugwort, or make yourself some wormwood tincture... wormwood contains thujone which is thought to have affinity with the same receptor sites as cannabinoids. you can smoke wormwood too but it tastes like burnning tires. Also a combination of 500mg/GABA & 200mg L-Theanine on an empty stomach every 4-6 hours will take the edge of the anxiety that arises.

Last edited:
I feel like adding my voice to this topic. I have smoked weed every day for the past two years.. I had always been "moody" before that, alternating between hyperactivity/talkative/etc and depression/lethargy/apathy over weeks to months. THC did not cure my underlying bipolar disorder, but a mood stabilizer did. As soon as Depakote started working for me, I did not want to smoke weed at all, because my mood was neutral, stable, and easily regulated. It is not the same story for everybody, but think a little bit more about what you feel when you are not high and what you don't feel when you are.. and then it might make more sense.

Hi there. My name is Sally, and I am a researcher at the National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre (NCPIC). The centre is currently conducting an online survey looking at the demographics and strategies of people who are able to quit using cannabis compared with those who want to quit, but are struggling to do so. From this, we hope to be able to develop treatments that employ the most effective strategies and are more strongly oriented toward people who find it the most difficult to quit. If anyone can assist with this research, it would be greatly appreciated. We are looking for people who smoked cannabis regularly (more than once a week) for at least a year, but haven't used any cannabis in the last year OR people who currently smoke cannabis more than once a week and have made at least one unsuccessful attempt to quit. If you live in Australia, we will send you a $20 gift voucher as compensation for your time. If you are 18 or older and have access to the Internet, please contact Sally or Desiree on [email protected]

Thanks very much for taking the time to read this message.

Best wishes,
Sally

Im glad there's stuff like this to help people who want to quit,quit.
Im also glad to see research being done in a non propogandic way.