• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Quit Nicotine

Mgold55

Bluelighter
Hello all. I only smoked about 9 months on average 10 per day. What am I looking at in terms of withdrawals? Ive made it to hour 54 now.

If you've already made it 54 hours then I don't think it's gonna get any worse than however it is now. Mostly you'll just continue to have cravings.
Unfortunately mine cravings lasted forever.
I smoked for one week when I was 11 and even that was enough to get periodic cravings for the rest of my life. I smoke a pack a day now.

Cravings here and there.. Thats about it, 9 months isnt much.

Thanks for the response. However I am getting physical withdrawals: Abdominal cramps, constipation, Crazy Mental Fog, slight hyperactivity, anxiety, and cravings. How long should i expect these to last?

With cigars you have a two-way road. If you wanna quit using cigars, you have to quit coffee/alcohol. When going to a social event you have to know your environment, you gotta have self-control well mastered, because you may get tempted to you know, smoke a bit take a sip or vice versa, and then in this confusion you may find yourself back to this. So you gotta have self-control.

The general rule of thumb is the worst of the physical symptoms should have past by day 7 to 9, after that it becomes more about breaking all the habits that come with being a smoker.
These though are the hurdles I always find hardest to get over.

A smoke with my morning coffee, a smoke after food, a smoke to relax once I’ve finished the household chores, a smoke to calm myself when feeling stressed.
I know the idea is to change your routine to get around the issue but it’s so hard to completely change the way you have lived for this long.

The longest I ever quit smoking for was 7 years back in my early 20’s, but I made the mistake of replacing my smokes with a weed habit that got WAY more out of control than my initial one. Slight fail.

I’m super keen this round to try hypnosis, I’ve got loads of friends who successfully quit this way and I’m intrigued

As far as hypnotism goes, I never got hypnotised. I tried, not for smoking but out of curiosity. It doesn't work, hypnotism is fake. Hypnotism was always linked to supernatural, other realms, stuff like this. The main point of hypnotism it's your subconscious, it allows you to see this and that or to take a flight of fantasy to wonderland. It's fake, I don't buy it.

Hypnosis is very real. I got hypnosed at Las vegas at a show. It really is something else. I had to do exactly what he said when he did a certain motion. And after the show i had the best sleep of my life. SO relaxedd.

T
As far as hypnotism goes, I never got hypnotised. I tried, not for smoking but out of curiosity. It doesn't work, hypnotism is fake. Hypnotism was always linked to supernatural, other realms, stuff like this. The main point of hypnotism it's your subconscious, it allows you to see this and that or to take a flight of fantasy to wonderland. It's fake, I don't buy it.

Tbh I’m not entirely convinced myself.
My mother paid to have me hypnotised when I was 16 as she was determined to find out the ‘truth’ behind my childhood trauma.

I too couldn’t be hypnotised, I believe that was because I was absolutely terrified of what my mothers reaction would be when she learned the truth though so I’m willing to give it another chance.
Just in case it works lol

You have to be very relaxed to be able to be hypnosed. You need to follow all instructions to the tee while remaining relaxed. It works. I was hypnosed.

I dipped and chewed tobacco for a few years. Im still to this day mad at myself for even trying tobacco. Nicotine might be the most useless, pathetic drug that I may have encountered....and ive done a lot of drugs lol.

I often wonder why nicotine literally sends people insane. Nicotine addiction turns otherwise grown humans into sniveling crying bitches, in my opinion lol.

I remember the night I quit. There had been a severe ice storm this day, and about 4am that morning I had run out of tobacco, so I decided to go to the store a couple miles away (I live on a decent little private mountain and have an all wheel drive car) but my car was completely frozen shut, and I had a flat tire....frozen to the ground. so I threw my hands up and said f-it. Im quitting. 3 years later I bought my car with cash. tobacco is fucking stupid kids. remember, the only thing you have to do is literally nothing.

I know some people have to avoid temptations like alcohol, but for the most part once you realize how terrible tobacco is, quitting it is really easy.

For quite some time (years) I had dreams about tobacco though. But they were dreams where I "slipped up" and would get mad at myself in my dream.. like I let myself down. Very interesting studying the cultural/psychological phenomenon that is a totally accepted life destroying addiction that is so powerful that even people that don't use tobacco consider it completely normal for people to literally kill themselves all so they can...…..what? What do people get from tobacco? a break from life? ok just walk outside lol. a few minutes to calm down? of course smoking calms you down. your addicted to nicotine lol.

sorry for the rant lol

Hypnosis is not fake. However the person who becomes hypnotized has to want it or do it themselves, and it is apparently akin to guided meditation, or going into a meditative/relaxed state.

With cigars you have a two-way road. If you wanna quit using cigars, you have to quit coffee/alcohol. When going to a social event you have to know your environment, you gotta have self-control well mastered, because you may get tempted to you know, smoke a bit take a sip or vice versa, and then in this confusion you may find yourself back to this. So you gotta have self-control.
I have friends who quit smoking cigarettes by smoking cigars-that they did not inhale the smoke from, and they did not quit drinking alcohol or coffee.

Quick question, i read online that after 2-3 days the lungs start coughing up mucus and debris to clear out. However I am on day 4 and I am not even coughing. When does the cough start?

Quick question, i read online that after 2-3 days the lungs start coughing up mucus and debris to clear out. However I am on day 4 and I am not even coughing. When does the cough start?
I'm pretty sure you havent smoked long enough ..

I just quit cold turkey back in mid-October after 15 years of smoking various daily amounts from 4ish/day when I started to 20ish/day two years in to about 13ish/ day just before I quit with more like 40/day if I was drinking.

My withdrawal symptoms were negligible. Cravings only the evening of the 4th day. First two weeks felt constantly hungry. Just drank more water. Stopped coughing shit up after about 2 months. Lost the occasional chest pains immediately after quitting. Was able to fall asleep better immediately after quitting. Could breathe better after about 2 weeks of quitting.
I was immediately able to be around people who smoke without craving it and was able to drink like a fish without craving it (which, to be honest, I was worried was going to be a massive problem).

All in all, my withdrawal symptoms were on balance positive.

So what I'm saying is, quitting isn't as hard as it's made out to be.