• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Quit microwaving all your meals and make a salad.

good idea, make a healthy salad and then heap two types of dead animal and a bunch of greasy cheese on top of it.

in all truth, microwaved vegetables would be better in many ways than bbq chicken - a microwave is a perfectly legitimate way to steam/ cook peas, asparagus, soften potatoes, etc... and since it works by cooking the food with heat generated by its own moisture content, there is no water or steam for the nutrients to disperse into.

Saying " heap dead animals" is trying to imply that it's bad or there are no health benefits or good reasons to consume such a meat, which is wholly untrue. Turkey for example is one of the healthiest foods around. Chicken contains precursor tryptophan, which the body uses to make 5HTP and converts to Serotonin in the liver, for example amongst many other vitamins and minerals.
Cheese is also incredibly healthy, filled with fats and protein and calcium, amongst other things. You cannae say "greasy" in front of something to make it seem bad for you! You can make anything sound unhealthy, like I had "greasy fried eggs" earlier! The "grease" was from incredibly healthy olive oil and the fried eggs were simply 3 eggs beaten together with red and green peppers (omelette), which is a very healthy foodstuff indeed!
Granted, I don't know what jarlsburg cheese is, it could be disgusting and fake shenanigans, but some meats and cheese in moderation are beneficial to one's diet.

And no, heating food with magnetrons and using microwaves are not better than consuming chicken breast. There's a load of debate on microwaves of course.

Last edited:
I love a good salad. Just simple mixed greens, red peppers, olives, grated cheese, olive oil + balsamic vinegar.

I also enjoy frozen pizzas and use a microwave. :)

one of my favorite salads is one of the simplest.
Fresh tomato and fresh cucumber. Thats it. SOOO delicious.
Italian dressing or just some olive oil and red wine vinegar or lemon, and salt and pepper.

good idea, make a healthy salad and then heap two types of dead animal and a bunch of greasy cheese on top of it.

Do tell me, with a strictly vegetative diet, how do you plan on generating cobalamine/B-12... seeing as it is not something humans can generate themselves, and is not found in plants, it being made by bacteria in the gut of other animals.

As for the microwave.. whats wrong with it? Its simple heating by electromagnetic radiation in the microwave band, which is not unlike heating by a regular oven, which is in the infrared range.. with the infrared of course being higher energy/shorter wave and thus closer to ionizing radiation. (although even still, ionizing EMR like X-ray leaves no risidual radiation.. that being the domain of particles like neutrons and protons...)

i obsessed over sumo salads when there was only one store and the owners worked there (it's now a massive chain). i used more loyalty cards there than i can count, really loving their grilled chicken caesar salad, but back in the early days they'd actually used whole anchovies as well as that which is in the dressing.

i also love a good green salad any day. tomato, lettuce and carrots are my favourite food.

OH MAN now I am craving a salad. Here are some of my favorites that I make at home:

Mixed greens, craisins, garbanzo beans, cucumber, sunflower seeds, crumbled feta cheese, and vinaigrette or light ranch dressing

Romaine, black beans, corn, salsa, avocado, and a little shredded cheese (no dressing - the salsa pretty much does the trick)

Mixed greens, sliced up grilled chicken breast, dried apples, gorgonzola or some other kind of crumbled cheese, tomatoes, some kind of chopped nuts, and a sweet vinaigrette

Yeah, I think I'm having a salad for dinner tonight now. Belly is growling.

^ Those all sound pretty tasty! I like to make a big portion of a chopped salad of some sort on Sundays and take them for lunches during the week. I'll rotate between a greek salad (sans Feta these days), a tabbouli-like salad with quinoa and what I call my 'kitchen sink' salad. It's a fridge-cleaner, usually consisting of at least chopped sweet peppers, cucumber (sometimes pickled, usually not), chickpeas, carrots, celery, corn, tomatoes (if in season), sprouts (garlic sprouts are so good!) and whatever other veg I might have that would go in a salad. Toss with a quick dressing of olive oil, vinegar/lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic, sharp german mustard (as an emulsifier, and for some piquant goodness) and maybe a bit of maple or agave syrup if I want a sweet top note. So good!

I love salad while I'm on a cut before summer. I like to indulge just a little bit and put little cubes of Pepper-jack cheese in the mix of my grilled chicken, lettuce, mixed veggies and balsalmic.

Do tell me, with a strictly vegetative diet, how do you plan on generating cobalamine/B-12... seeing as it is not something humans can generate themselves, and is not found in plants, it being made by bacteria in the gut of other animals.

As for the microwave.. whats wrong with it? Its simple heating by electromagnetic radiation in the microwave band, which is not unlike heating by a regular oven, which is in the infrared range.. with the infrared of course being higher energy/shorter wave and thus closer to ionizing radiation. (although even still, ionizing EMR like X-ray leaves no risidual radiation.. that being the domain of particles like neutrons and protons...)

On your question about B-12: we don't need a lot of B-12 in our diets and our bodies can store B-12 for a long time, I think it was a year or two that it can be stored in your body before it's discarded. Moreover, where do you think the animals get B-12 from? It doesn't pop out of thin air! They are able to metabolize plants and store the B-12 that comes from the soil.

I believe most of the reason vegans don't get "enough" B-12 in their diets is because we wash all of our vegetables before consuming them. Oh, no more soil left and there's smaller portions of B-12 inside the vegetables / fruits themselves. A little dirt on fruits and vegetables is good for us.

I like Caesar salad with chicken and tomatoes (preferably cherry tomatoes) on it. Yum! Oh sometimes carrots are good in it too. I am not much of a veggie person (okay I *HATE* veggies with the exception of salad and carrots) but this salad is decent :p

On your question about B-12: we don't need a lot of B-12 in our diets and our bodies can store B-12 for a long time, I think it was a year or two that it can be stored in your body before it's discarded. Moreover, where do you think the animals get B-12 from? It doesn't pop out of thin air! They are able to metabolize plants and store the B-12 that comes from the soil.
B12 is stored in the liver for 3-5 years, just to clarify. However, to metabolize B12 from any source (plant or animal), a person has to have what's known as "intrinsic factor" in their stomach--Rest assured though, very few people lack intrinsic factor. :p

Also to clarify, animals get B12 from eating food that's "infected" with a microorganism/fungi that produces B12--That microorganism/fungi does indeed live in the soil, but the B12 isn't from the soil itself, technically.

^ So do other organisms (plants mainly) also become "infected" with this fungi? I would assume if they are close by, the fungi would interact with the growing process of the plants.

^ So do other organisms (plants mainly) also become "infected" with this fungi? I would assume if they are close by, the fungi would interact with the growing process of the plants.
From what I remember from a class a year ago, the fungi is a ...symbiotic relationship with the plant? I forget the right term (I'm tired at the moment). But yeah, it lives near the root systems of plants and provides nutrients for the plants as waste products.

Hello fellow Healthy Living types :D

If an organism grows on a plant or or around a plant root system and steals nutrients, light or water from the host organism, it is a parasite :( Boo to them!
However if the two organisms hang out there with no detriment to either, or even with benefit to one/both, the relationship is described as symbiotic, nature's version of 'You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.'

I love salad with mixed dark lettuce leaves, baby spinach leaves, a little red onion, some pomegranate sseds/juice through it and some goats' cheese... dress with balsamic vinegar and olive oil and season to taste :D
Mmmmmmmmm... it even looks pretty with the magenta pomegranate, white cheese and lush looking greens!

Sometimes it's nice to get some rocket, slice a juicy pear into it and drizzle with balsamic vinegar, and it's so simple yet it lifts a simple meal and makes getting RDIs taste yummy.

Eating more veg definitely makes me feel healthier on the inside and outside. I've been making a real effort to have at least 3 serves veg and 1 fruit a day (which is below RDI, but hey - baby steps! Haha!) and I do cheat a little by having veg juice each morning, or when I really want a change from water/mineral water, which for the most part is all I drink other than a cheeky coffee, beer, wine or spirit ;) I find that if i drink a lot of fruit juice I usually end up with skin inflammation, which settles but those areas are usually the very next ones that experience acne break-outs.
My favourite vegie is baby spinach leaves, usually sauteed in the tiniest bit of olive oil and served with a poached egg :)
In fact I reckon I will make that right now.

If an organism grows on a plant or or around a plant root system and steals nutrients, light or water from the host organism, it is a parasite :( Boo to them!
However if the two organisms hang out there with no detriment to either, or even with benefit to one/both, the relationship is described as symbiotic, nature's version of 'You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.'
"Symbiotic" was the word I was looking for when I made a follow-up post to S_L's:
From what I remember from a class a year ago, the fungi is a ...symbiotic relationship with the plant? I forget the right term (I'm tired at the moment). But yeah, it lives near the root systems of plants and provides nutrients for the plants as waste products.

Also, Adelady, check your PMs. :)