• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Quetiapine Withdrawal? Any experiences?

All antipsychotics are sheer evil in my opinion and personal experience. Nothing but chemical straightjackets instead of real help for emotional hardships.

I'm on quetiapine right now for sleep-but only because it was a last resort from my doctor, nothing was working. Years ago though, I was on a dose of 1,000mg (yeah, I know it's not supposed to be prescribed that high, but the psychiatrist I had then was using me as a case study, and felt it was worth the risk, also had me misdiagnosed). After about a year, of him upping the dose to that, I took myself off it. I did it slowly, over months, but it worked.

It's totally possible to get off the dose you're on. However, you have to do it at a pace that's right for you. I don't know how much not sleeping effects you-it effects everyone to some degree and if you're used to sleeping every night like I assume you are b/c you've been taking this stuff, then you've got to be careful how much sleep you lose. The big kicker of the side effects with this drug is insomnia. If you go more than one night without sleeping, you're going to need to go back up a little until you get used to that dose. Otherwise you risk losing all the progress you made. Don't worry, you haven't failed and you won't stay at that dose forever. The further you get to zero, the harder it generally is with getting off medicines, and you need to let your brain adapt and repair itself. I know it's hard because you just want to be off it NOW, but patience is going to be key. Good luck.

Years ago though, I was on a dose of 1,000mg (yeah, I know it's not supposed to be prescribed that high, but the psychiatrist I had then was using me as a case study, and felt it was worth the risk, also had me misdiagnosed).
While the maximum recommended daily dosage is somewhere around 750mg, tolerance will build which is why 1000mg is not an uncommon dose in psychotic disorders. Some people are prescribed north of 2g for years. Your diagnosis (correct or not) doesn't really matter as much as one might think as long as a pharmaceutical is showing the desired therapeutic effects.

Antipsychotics save lives

All antipsychotics are sheer evil in my opinion and personal experience. Nothing but chemical straightjackets instead of real help for emotional hardships.
Seroquel/Quetiapine is meant to be a last resort drug for serious mental illnesses namely Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder. These illnesses are brain disorders and not "emotional hardships". The drug acts within the brain to balance out chemicals therefore giving the patient a better chance of a quality of life than not taking anything. The side effects can be very unpleasant but more bearable than the symptoms of the illness itself. It is a trade off. It is life saving. I'm currently taking quetiapine for Bipolar Disorder and I am pleased to say I have been very stable since I started this medication. I do suffer with side effects but can cope with the side effects a lot better than severe mood swings. I personally am tired of hearing people complain about the side effects and how evil this drug is mostly by people with "emotional hardships" who shouldn't be prescribed this drug in the first place. Crying about the side effects of a tiny dose of 25mg of quetiapine is ridiculous and insulting to the people who are severely mentally ill and have to endure side effects of 300mg-800mg. The only thing evil are the doctors who are giving it out like candy to mentally healthy people who have nothing better to do than complain about their minor impairments. Maybe they would benefit from psychotherapy for their emotional hardships? This drug is fantastic and has saved my life. If you think it's evil, chances are you shouldn't be taking it.

Seroquel/Quetiapine is meant to be a last resort drug for serious mental illnesses namely Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder. These illnesses are brain disorders and not "emotional hardships". The drug acts within the brain to balance out chemicals therefore giving the patient a better chance of a quality of life than not taking anything. The side effects can be very unpleasant but more bearable than the symptoms of the illness itself. It is a trade off. It is life saving. I'm currently taking quetiapine for Bipolar Disorder and I am pleased to say I have been very stable since I started this medication. I do suffer with side effects but can cope with the side effects a lot better than severe mood swings. I personally am tired of hearing people complain about the side effects and how evil this drug is mostly by people with "emotional hardships" who shouldn't be prescribed this drug in the first place. Crying about the side effects of a tiny dose of 25mg of quetiapine is ridiculous and insulting to the people who are severely mentally ill and have to endure side effects of 300mg-800mg. The only thing evil are the doctors who are giving it out like candy to mentally healthy people who have nothing better to do than complain about their minor impairments. Maybe they would benefit from psychotherapy for their emotional hardships? This drug is fantastic and has saved my life. If you think it's evil, chances are you shouldn't be taking it.
Damn right! qft

I, too, am very satisfied with quetiapine. Olanzapine suits me better in the midlle of a manic episode, but I've taken quetiapine for up to twelve months to ease me back into reality. The side effects can be intolerable for some. I however am fine @ 200mg XR, but only when I need them.

I urge you to read through the Invega thread. You'll get so fucking mad. Chances are you'll be the first one actually reading my posts or - who knows - the first to back me up even. :D

Last edited:
I have no doubt that Seroquel helps with some people, but for me - the cognitive dysfunction was severe. I was on 300mg per day for about 4 months. I quit a few weeks ago and jumped back on benzos. They control mania for me just as much, but I still have to watch it with spending and partying. But I am able to focus and don't have huge mood swings. Withdrawal from seroquel wasn't that bad. I couldn't sleep for about a week, hence the benzos. Cognitive function is a lot better, but I'm still making mistakes typing, writing, and some other technical things essential to my job. Like you, seroquel has seriously negatively affected my life professionally. All that said, ALL mania was gone for me on seroquel.

It's hard to find info that is meaningful. Most sites, other than bluelight, are filled with people who are just truly fucked up. But, I have a psychiatrist friend, and he assures me that some people truly do perform at a high level on the stuff. I am just not one of them. And it sounds like you're not either.

In any event, I've been addicted to everything. Really, only benzo withdrawals are problematic even if I have zero side effects while on them. What I find funny is I was was a heroin addict in the past, and after those 2 weeks, your cognitive performance is fine. I am slightly concerned about seroquel withdrawal in this respect. But, it is improving at a rapid enough pace that I'm not worried, and I'm much better after getting on benzos this past week.