• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Quetiapine alternative? Restless leg

CaptainKangaroo

Greenlighter
Hi,

I have been taking quetiapine for about 10 years with a few occasional breaks. I have never taken more than 300mg and normally only take 100mg at night.

To be honest I absolutely hate the drug and want to come off it. It's not a high dose but I feel dependent on it because without it I cannot sleep.

Unfortunately I cannot sleep whilst on it either because it gives me restless leg syndrome I expect because I often take it whilst sleep deprived. The problem is, even though I don't drink much at all, I'm prone to alcohol binges every month or so. Normally it's some event unforeseen event that sends my anxiety through the roof and I self-medicate with booze. Sometimes I don't drink much but then every three weeks or so, the pint or two turns into 10 and I wake with a massive hangover, sometimes made worse because I took quetiapine with it.

Then I spend the next two weeks unable to sleep, unable to function properly because I can't remember anything. The quetiapine helps on the first few days but then just kinda locks me into that state for another week or so.

I know I should just give up booze completely and I try but find it difficult. I can go for weeks without a drink and still feel physically shit, nauseous and feel like I have dementia without any booze so I know something isn't right. It's just like I'm unable to sleep properly anymore.

I just wondered if you knew of any medication which could replace quetiapine? That could hit the same receptors at night, help with sleep but not give me restless leg.

I've never had addiction to any drugs apart from alcohol. I've never taken a prescription drug recreationally so it may seem odd that I'm posting here but from reading comments here it's clear a lot of you know what you're talking about and will speak frankly with me. I'm not talking about trying to buy something on the streets, just any hints you could give as to what I should ask my doctor to prescribe me for the medical condition I have. Some say I have a mild form of schizophrenia but to be honest, I've never experienced full blown psychosis so probably just anxiety and a tendency to obsess and become socially isolated.

Perhaps I should get something prescribed to stop the restless leg?

Last edited: