• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Growing Questions about fertilizer

BK38

Bluelight Crew
Hey guys, hope everyone is doing well! I just have a quick question about fertilizers with cannabis. I'm looking to grow some feminized autoflowers outdoors in pots and I'm wondering if I can just use a general fertilizer (extra diluted for all as I don't want to burn them) and not in the first couple weeks)? I'm not somewhere legal to grow and I won't be able to order specialized canna-nutrients. I am making my own super soil, but obviously I think some very diluted fertilizer would probably be of use after 2 weeks or so in veg.

So, basically, can I just use diluted general purpose fertilizer for potted plants? Should I be looking for specific types of fertilizer that crossover with cannabis' needs (i.e. for tomatos? herbs? I can ask at the grow store). Thanks!

I've found organic soil to work best but I've also used synthetic fertilizers on stripped soil. I prefer to mix the synthetic ferts into the water during a feeding. Don't feed her early like you said, and don't feed a couple weeks prior to harvest are the general rules. Don't buy the cheap stuff.

If you can afford the organic soil, you don't have to worry about feedings at least until the soil is stripped. A lot of people like to build and/or mix their own mediums which are also organic.

IME standard 10-10-10 NPK soil you can get at Home Depot mixed with lots of perlite is fine to start with. Eventually you can add liquid nutrients to the water, I would wait until the plants showed signs of nutrient deficiency before starting with the nutes.

How big are the pots and what are you putting in your supersoil? Planting young seedlings in a hot soil is not a good idea, feeding after 2 weeks you generally only do if the soil you use is nutrient poor, like a seedling mix, if it's a mix you made with various additions, typically you won't have to give any kind of liquid fertilizer untill 2-3 weeks into flowering, again, depending how big those pots are and what is in the soil.

Tomato or nutes for flowering plants, so with less N than P or K, I'd suggest looking for those. Chances are that you'll only have to feed them for a little bit since they're autoflowers and have virtually no vegetative stage, so a lot of nitrogen will only be detrimental later on.

Horse manure. No burn danger. Used to put seeds right into turds ( sounds gross sorry) to start them

if anybody really wants to have a discussion about nutrients, just say the word....

I've been growing my own for several years now. I start mine indoors in very early spring and put them in the ground outside as soon as danger of frost is past.

I start with a good potting soil (UNtreated) and use a tiny amount of Miracle Gro for Tomatoes during the first 2 months. I don't fertilize at all after that.

Always had good results-- until the critters eat half my crop, which they often do. Once the plants are 2ft tall or more the bunnies, etc leave them alone. But if deer discover them, it's all over!