Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Question about Paxil and Rexulti

ognick

Greenlighter
Paxil and Rexulti are both SLRI's

I'm wondering if these 2 can cause LSD not to have any effect at all.

Hey ognick, I apologize that we haven't had time to get to your query yet, but here I am. It's a complex phenomenon that, to be honest, is far outside my grasp in terms of understanding, but antidepressants have been known to "blunt" the effects of certain drugs. For instance, when I was taking Fluoxetine (Prozac) daily, I took MDMA and didn't really get the full effect. It just felt more like I was on speed. My point is that it is a hard phenomenon to describe, but in short, you should count on these medications having some impact on the effects of other drugs. The idea with antidepressants is ultimately to alter the chemistry of your brain, so there you go.

If somebody went off those 2 how long would it take to feel the effects of it?
Sorry, my drug knowledge is quite low.

If you were only taking Paxil, I'd say you would be okay to take LSD. But since Rexulti is a serotonin dopamine activity modulator, you would likely have a problem tripping. It's not a good idea to go off your meds but it's a good thing that you asked so you can be safe. I don't know enough about this drug to properly advise you so I'm going to move this to Psychedelic Drugs.

If you were only taking Paxil, I'd say you would be okay to take LSD. But since Rexulti is a serotonin dopamine activity modulator, you would likely have a problem tripping. It's not a good idea to go off your meds but it's a good thing that you asked so you can be safe. I don't know enough about this drug to properly advise you so I'm going to move this to Psychedelic Drugs.
I only took rexulti as a test by my doctor to see if it would help my mood and it's giving me weight gain and he advised me if weight gained happened to stop because I was on abilify a long time ago and started having too many problems with my weight. So if Rexulti was stopped, paxil wouldn't be a issue?

It varies between individuals. Some people can take SSRIs like Paxil and still trip fine, while for others, the effects are muted or almost entirely blocked. If you're on an SSRI, there are withdrawals when you stop (I've heard a few people say they didn't experience this but most people report a very difficult and unpleasant withdrawal syndrome). So just going off for a week might not be an option if you want to trip, and anyway you're presumably on them for a reason. In any case it's not dangerous to give it a try, it won't be harmful physically or anything I mean, psychedelics always run a risk mentally especially if you're dealing with emotional problems or mental illness.

But yeah, if you are on an SSRIs, you might be able to trip, or you might not.

Paxil and Rexulti are both SLRI's

Wrong. Paxil (paroxetine) is an SSRI.

Rexulti (brexpiprazole) is an antipsychotic.

People on SSRI's can trip just fine, they just need a slightly higher dose. People on antipsychotics basically won't trip at all. Rexulti is relatively new, which is why the posters on this thread may not have heard of it, but it's basically the successor to Abilify, one of the most commonly prescribed antipsychotics today.

The interaction with SSRIs varies. Plenty of people report barely being able to trip, or not being able to trip fully, even with higher doses. Some people report no interaction, and some report only a slight decrease in potency.

But yeah the antipsychotic will stop a trip dead.

I take 400mg of quetiapine every night and 60mg fluoxetine in the morning and can still trip with blunted effects, however quetiapine has a very short half-life vs. rexulti and is mostly out of my system. The extent to which it's still dampering I'm not sure. Antipsychotics still have influence after they leave the system, like a hold over (which is why newer APs, with the exceptions of the Abilify-alikes like rexulti, tend to have a looser grip on dopamine receptors). Quetiapine is even a mild-moderate antagonist of 5-HT2A.

What I've found is that to enjoy tripping, I need to really work set and setting. For the most part (even though the psychological effects can be somewhat intense), CEVs and that sort of thing are pretty mild.

Yeah, I take 30mg Paroxetine and honestly I feel like it does nothing for me. But I couldn't trip at all but I think that may be Rexulti, I don't think my Paroxetine dose is large enough to stop a whole trip but then again I can be wrong due to my lack of knowledge.

The interaction with SSRIs varies. Plenty of people report barely being able to trip, or not being able to trip fully, even with higher doses. Some people report no interaction, and some report only a slight decrease in potency.

But yeah the antipsychotic will stop a trip dead.

Damn. So if I'm trying to microdose @Xorkoth ... do you recommend getting off Rexulti? I don't think I could do cold turkey though. Maybe tapering.

I really am not sure. Some people report not much interaction, and some people report that it's much harder to trip. Microdosing isn't the same as tripping though. There's no danger in microdosing while on it, so maybe give that a try before getting off a prescribed medication. I don't think it's worth getting off a prescription for the sake of microdosing, unless you want to get off of it anyway, microdosing or not.

I really am not sure. Some people report not much interaction, and some people report that it's much harder to trip. Microdosing isn't the same as tripping though. There's no danger in microdosing while on it, so maybe give that a try before getting off a prescribed medication. I don't think it's worth getting off a prescription for the sake of microdosing, unless you want to get off of it anyway, microdosing or not.
I may want to get off it, I'm not sure yet honestly. I've read antipsychotics almost completely block psychedelics. So that's why I'd want to. I just want the microdosing to be effective.

Oh my bad, I thought it was an SSRI, I didn't remember what the thread was about when I replied. Yeah the antipsychotic will probably just totally block it. Use caution getting off the antipsychotic... talk to your doctor about it, is my recommendation. Why are you on it, unless you don't want to share? The answer to that question probably determines whether it's a good idea to get off of it or not.

Oh my bad, I thought it was an SSRI, I didn't remember what the thread was about when I replied. Yeah the antipsychotic will probably just totally block it. Use caution getting off the antipsychotic... talk to your doctor about it, is my recommendation. Why are you on it, unless you don't want to share? The answer to that question probably determines whether it's a good idea to get off of it or not.
Oh no, I don't mind sharing at all. Dang , well that's a bummer then. I can talk to my doc, but I can almost guarantee with him being a research institute psychiatrist he won't go for it... which is disappointing. So I'll probably just try it anyway. I actually don't 100% know why I'm on Rexulti. I think it's to help the WellButrin XL and the Rexulti helps me with my nervous tics of clearing my throat and popping my neck. I have a history of depression/anxiety if that helps you any. The tics maybe I could get under control perhaps with microdosing is my theory... and if that makes me happier than prescription pills ... it's a route I'd like to explore.

That makes sense. I have throat and knuckle popping tics, I just consider it a part of myself. I can stop them if I focus on it... I think a lot of people have stuff like that. Antipsychotics are kind if nasty drugs. If you don't think you should be on it, you do have the right to discontinue it, but it will probably have to be a taper from what I understand.

That makes sense. I have throat and knuckle popping tics, I just consider it a part of myself. I can stop them if I focus on it... I think a lot of people have stuff like that. Antipsychotics are kind if nasty drugs. If you don't think you should be on it, you do have the right to discontinue it, but it will probably have to be a taper from what I understand.
Yeah I wouldn't doubt a lot of people have tics. I think a lot of us do :). Mine just drive me insane sometimes lol. Do you mind me asking how they are nasty drugs? I'm very green with knowing the details/effects behind a lot of the medicine I'm on. I've been on medicine for a decade + , but am green around the edges on a lot of it. A taper most likely indeed would be the case I think too.

Some of them can cause tardive dyskenesia, which is a disease related to dopamine damage, causing uncontrollable muscle movements, which is permanent. This is not a given by any means, of course, but a risk. They are dopamine antagonists, so they make it much harder to feel emotions and make some people feel like zombies. There is a huge issue with people medicated on them, often people with serious disorders such as schizophrenia who really need medicating, preferring life without them even though they experience psychosis, because they feel so braindead and apathetic on them. Of course, a really small dose might not have the same negative side effects. Just in general I feel (and many others do too) that they should only be used if absolutely necessary.

Some of them can cause tardive dyskenesia, which is a disease related to dopamine damage, causing uncontrollable muscle movements, which is permanent. This is not a given by any means, of course, but a risk. They are dopamine antagonists, so they make it much harder to feel emotions and make some people feel like zombies. There is a huge issue with people medicated on them, often people with serious disorders such as schizophrenia who really need medicating, preferring life without them even though they experience psychosis, because they feel so braindead and apathetic on them. Of course, a really small dose might not have the same negative side effects. Just in general I feel (and many others do too) that they should only be used if absolutely necessary.
Damn. Makes you wonder why I'm on it at all, lol. I'll say this, it definitely does help... I'm just not sure at what cost. I think microdosing shrooms would be safer, honestly.

Certainly it would be safer, in fact psilocybin promotes neurogenesis. If you don't notice side effects from the antipsychotic then perhaps you're on an extremely low dose. Either way I can understand your desire to try to live life without them, seems like a good thing to try.