• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Question about my Klonopin use

Jebcity

Greenlighter
This is my first post here so forgive me for any errors in procedure.

I was prescribed 2mg Klonopin for airplane anxiety. The doctor gave me 6 scripts for whatever reason so I had/still have an abundance (probably 50 pills left and I only picked up 4 of the scripts). I started using it to help me deal with some serious insomnia. I started taking 1 2mg on Sundays, then usually 1/2 pill on Monday, then usually 1/2 pill if I couldn't sleep throughout the week. It started escalating probably 6-8 weeks ago to the point where I began needing it more, usually 3 nights a week and now over the last few weeks 1 2mg pill every night for all work nights (as the weather gets gloomier my sleep always gets worse.)

When I realized I was developing a tolerance I got seriously spooked, and after reading about klonopin withdrawal I spooked myself even further. I did a test and didn't take anything for 4 days straight, and the last night before stopping I took I only used 1/2 pill, so 1 mg. I started getting anxiety but I think I was giving myself placebo withdrawals; when I could distract my mind I'd be fine, when I started reading and/or thinking about the situation I'd get pretty nervous and freaked out, some physical symptoms of anxiety definitely manifested. Last night, day 4, I was getting really anxious about the situation. Had a few beers to calm my nerves and then ended up taking 1/2 a pill and then another 1/2 to fall asleep.

Some key things to note:
I never have taken it during the day for anxiety, only at night right before bed.
I have never taken it recreationally, besides 1 time I was very hungover and used it to curb the side effects.
Never htook on the weekends, it's always anxiety about not getting enough sleep for work that keeps me up.

Anyone got any clues to my situation? I've heard withdrawal can kick in anywhere from hours after last use to 3 weeks, so I have no idea what to expect. I basically think I'm placeboing myself into thinking I have withdrawals and just need to man up and calm down, but any advice would help.

Also I should note I will begin working from home in February full time, which will help my sleep tremendously, I really need to navigate the next 30 work days at which point I will be fine, though I've also read you can get hooked after 30 days, so my info is all over the place.

Any and all opinions welcome.

Thanks!

2 mg is overkill for airplane anxiety. Your pattern doesnt warrant a taper where you're taking smaller amounts everyday. This will increase the chances of wds at your consumption pattern not decrease them. You said you got to day 4 without any so thats good. It really just sounds like work is stressing you out. Please dont drink on klonopin. The chances of blacking out and doing some very dangerous things is very real and you are increasing chances of going through bad wds.

Without knowing what specifically you mean by "physical symptoms of anxiety," it's difficult to say whether or not you are actually experiencing withdrawals or not, but if you were experiencing serious benzo withdrawals, you would know it: shakes, nausea, rapid heartbeat, chills and sweating etc. etc. As long as you don't have those symptoms I don't think you have too much to worry about but it doesn't hurt to be cautious. 2mg is a somewhat strongish dose.

They physical symptoms were just that of being very nervous; hearbeat was elevated, just feeling really anxious and couldn't really calm down. Again when I was able to distract myself and just read or what tv I started to feel fine, but once I started thinking about the situation again it came back. Definitely no shakes or sweats, so I think I was just freaking myself out about the situation. I figured that because I've heard withdrawals are so intense I'd definitely "know for sure" if I was experiencing it.

Basically my thought process jumped back and forth between "you're just freaking yourself out for no reason" and "wait, what if this is real and you really are addicted" and thus panic would set in. Typical anxious freak lol. I should say under normal circumstances I'm high strung but definitely not a person who is so anxious he can't function. I really just have trouble sleeping.

Also neglected to mention taking benzos regularly for sleep will result in rebound insomnia. I'm scripted Ativan for panic attacks but my psych doc discouraged me from taking them for sleep for that reason. If insomnia is a serious problem for you, you might want to ask your doctor about sedating antidepressants such as doxepin, Remeron or trazodone or a Z drug (Ambien, Lunesta, etc.)

doxepin, Remeron or trazodone or a Z drug (Ambien, Lunesta, etc.)

Z-drugs still interact with your GABA receptors in much the same way that benzodiazepines do, though. Sure, they may be more selective for the sleep-inducing receptor sub-units, but that doesn't automatically make them less addictive.

Zopiclone ("Lunesta"/"Imovane"), in particular, is a "non-benzodiazepine" in the same sense that a synthetic opioid like fentanyl is a "non-opiate".

Z-drugs still interact with your GABA receptors in much the same way that benzodiazepines do, though. Sure, they may be more selective for the sleep-inducing receptor sub-units, but that doesn't automatically make them less addictive.

Zopiclone ("Lunesta"/"Imovane"), in particular, is a "non-benzodiazepine" in the same sense that a synthetic opioid like fentanyl is a "non-opiate".
Yes but in clinical studies they have been shown to not have rebound insomnia as an issue.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/nursing-and-health-professions/z-drug

First I have to agree with BurritoJimmy and aihfl, 2 mg's really is a very high dose for you to be given for airplane anxiety. And it simply doesn't add up in my mind why you would be given 6 scripts for it, or even 1. When I had a panic attack on a plane, at the next layover(in Salt Lake City I believe) I was given two 0.25 mg Xanax pills individually wrapped after being checked out by the airport medical staff. Unless you have to travel a ton, I don't see why you would be given even one prescription. But if you do have to travel in planes a lot and that's why your doc gave you the prescriptions, I still don't understand why you were given so many scripts, and why they were at such a high dose. I would expect you to be started out at 0.5 mg's of Klonopin. So just be aware that you were given an unusually high starting dose.

But I do believe you are mainly feeling the effects of anxiety. Where the anxiety stems from, I do not know.
I have been prescribed Klonopin for anxiety for over 8 years even though I still maintain it's not anxiety and what I feel has more to do with something wrong with my heart somehow. My anxiety/panic attacks come on for no reason at all and mainly manifest in the form of horrible sharp pain in my heart, increased heartbeat and BP, and numbness in my extremities. Nothing mental. So I believe what YOU are experiencing is true anxiety and what I have been incorrectly diagnosed with is something else. BTW...after over 8 years on Klonopin, I STILL have not been increased to the 2 mg pills.

My advice would be to stop taking the benzos, carefully. Preferably with the help of a doctor who can also then put you on the right medications to more properly and safely help you with your sleep issues. Those new meds may end up being benzo's as well, but at least you will have a doctor who knows your past klonopin use to help you.

Good Luck,
-JB-

a) I get REALLY nervous on planes
b) I was travelling to India for the initial prescription so long, terrifying flight.
c) Yes I was a bit shocked when he gave me 6 months worth, but that's how it goes these days I guess.

a) I get REALLY nervous on planes
b) I was travelling to India for the initial prescription so long, terrifying flight.

Still, one(!) 2mg pill (broken into 2-4 pieces) is more than enough for a long-distance flight - clonazepam is both extremely potent and pretty long-acting. Taking too high a dose of a benzo on a plane is not a good idea, as it can be so disinhibiting that you're liable to paradoxically act even more unhinged when you're stressed.
Really, the 2mg Clonaz pills are for people who are suffering from epilepsy or debilitating generalized anxiety and who are already highly tolerant to benzodiazepines. Starting someone on these is like handing someone a script for 80 mg OxyContins after a minor sports injury.

c) Yes I was a bit shocked when he gave me 6 months worth, but that's how it goes these days I guess.

Actually they've become a lot more stringent about handing out benzos over the past few years.

Honestly, even scripting you a single month worth of 2 mg Klonopin would be reason enough to suspect that your doc is either negligent or an idiot.

Last edited:
Yeah that many kpins for an airplane flight-- was a cool Doctor lol

Anyway this is why I try to stamp down the benzo withdrawal hysteria when I can.. cuz situations like this where because you (I'm sure) read you can have seizures and die and don't know if you made it to that point when the truth is you're pretty far from that point .

Anyway glad youRe ok