• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

question about joining/being in the military

idontdothizz

Bluelighter
Hello, currently I am fully qualified to be in the military. I am currently in the Delayed Entry Program and I am going to boot camp next month.

However, I have been having symptoms for a couple years now and I have never been able to figure out what the hell it was until today. I am almost certain I have hyperthyroidism.

I understand that this is a disqualifying condition. I have to join the military. I fucked up my life so much, this is my only chance at being successful. But untreated hyperthyroidism can eventually lead to osteoporosis.

I want to get treated without the military finding out. I figure that the best way to do this is to wait until after boot camp and my A-school and then going to see a doctor after that. I just do not want to do anything that will jeopardize my career.

I know I can't be sure that I really do have hyperthyroidism because I haven't seen a doctor but I am afraid that if I do, they will find out and I will be screwed.

What should I do? Coming clean with the military is NOT an option.

Dude, unless you've gone to the doctor and been tested, you have no clue you have hyperthyroidism. Most of the symptoms for hyperthyroidism - if you even shows symptoms at all - are very vague: fatigue, vomitting, increased anxiety, including sweating, incleased heart rate, increased irritability, always thirsty, over-excessive urine output etc. Some of the symptoms however (such as the irregular heartbeat and low blood-sugar) can be found by your doctor. But as I said, this is a pretty rare disease, and the symptoms are pretty vague, so I have high doubts you actually have this disease, and that you just scared yourself into believing you have it.

Last edited:
you are probably right. but still, I cant even do any type of stimulant without my fingers going completely numb and getting stings of my blood not circulating properly, which means there is definitely something wrong. I am just scared of finding out because I think that if I find out, so will the navy,

I don't think you can get treated without the Navy finding out. You'll have to choose between them and your health.

Like you said, you can wait till after boot camp and go to the doc. if you go before and you do have it you will be dq'd