Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Question about buying prescription drugs in Australia

mutant

Bluelighter
Does anyone know if doctors and/or pharmacists have access to information regarding my purchases of prescription drugs? You know how they have those little computers that come up with info when you give them your Medicare number.... does a list of previous drug purchases come up on the screen, giving them info like what I've bought in the past, and when? Just wondering.

Thanks for the help in advance :)

Pharmacist in the house: yes/no, if you go buy ur prescription medicine from 1 pharmacy, the pharmacist willl have full knowledge of all ur purschase from the past, but if u go to different pharmacys they will have no idea...

Isnt the same chain of chemist like Terry White's, etc etc have a database attaching all files from the main computer?? I mean they have access to other same chain's database?

what about things that contain medium levels of pseudoephedrine or codeine? Are you telling me there's no collective database, and that people can still travel from pharmacy to pharmacy, buying these over the counter medications without risk?

prescriptions like xanax the doctor needs to ring up a number and give all the patient details to get a reference number to authorise the script.

surely THEY keep all your details,.. i always assumed to limit the amount of xanax a patient can obtain,...

dimmo said:
prescriptions like xanax the doctor needs to ring up a number and give all the patient details to get a reference number to authorise the script.

surely THEY keep all your details,.. i always assumed to limit the amount of xanax a patient can obtain,...

Unless you want to pay full price and get the doctor to just do a private script for ya. So lucky I work in a pharmacy dont go through all these hassles :p

dimmo: not all benzodiazepines require phone approval. The phone approval is only because it is a PBS authority drug, meaning the Dr needs to tell someone at PBS headquarters :\ that they are prescribing an expensive drug for an appropriate purpose. Occasionally they will have to provide other proof that the prescription is appropriate (but this doesn't apply here). This is a checking procedure that tries to limit Dr's prescribing the most expensive drugs for a condition that may not be appropriate. If a Dr tries to write another authority script while another script is valid, or the date is too close the to date of the last authority script, the person at PBS will point this out. Approval may not be given in this case. As Hamedo pointed out, you can pay private cost for a drug that is on authority, but you would need to ask the Dr NOT to seek an authority approval (which would look sus IMHO).

Unless you get reported to the health department there is no simple list of your prescriptions available AFAIK (ie: at present, your Medicare no. can not be used to search all drugs provided to you). However, pharmacists and Dr's have an obligation to act on any "suspicious" prescriptions or use of prescriptions. See
Issues of concern to pharmacists for an explanation. So for example, if you go to your chemist with a script for 28 temazepam (or Prozac say - doesn't have to be an abusable drug) which was last dispensed 2 weeks ago, and you are prescribed one tablet a day, they have a right to question you about it, and withhold dispensation if they think it is appropriate.

As for pseudoephedrine, AFAIK it is no longer available on Schedule 2, unless the product is combined with another drug or in a slow release formulation. It is Schedule 3, meaning the pharmacist has to hand it to you, and ask for your name and address if they wish. (I don't know what they actually do with your name and address, but AFAIK it is only kept in house.) They have a responsibility to limit sales, see to prevent the abuse of OTC solid dose pseudoephedrine products: (solid dose being products containing pseudoephedrine alone)

Peaceful Medicating in Australia

What about HIC doing blackbanning of so called "doctor-shoppers? How else would they get the info to prompt them to do that unless there was a central database?
Peace,
:)
O.

t's called repeats.. pharmacist can suss abusers WAY easy..

Yeah the second they walk through the door. Don't think you are fooling anyone. Hell, I've even slapped a sharpz kit on the bench before they said a word (it was a reflex reaction).
Some people walk through the door with a script in their hand and I think "benzos" and I've got about a 90+% hit rate. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

I mean they have access to other same chain's database?

No, because of the privacy act. Big Brother isn't watching us yet.

What about HIC doing blackbanning of so called "doctor-shoppers? How else would they get the info to prompt them to do that unless there was a central database?

You just get like this 6th sense for it. There are always the "excuses", "stories" and the body language. We've seen/heard it all before.

To all the sudafed runners out there, it's all obvious what's going on and there is plenty of cooperation with police. There has even been ID's released on a wanted list of the really bad ones with "ring us immediately" printed under it.
Do not even bother saying any of the following when trying to buy sudafed:

"I'm allergic to paracetamol" when they offer you a combination decongestant. Paracetamol allergies are extrermely rare.

"I'm getting it for <insert relative here> they only want <insert decongestant brand here>"

"Only Sudafed works" All decongestants have pseudoephedrine in them. It's all the same drug. if sudafed works so will the one combination tablet you are being offered.

You will also make yourself look extremely stupid by asking for "diabetic/insulin syringes". You are buying sharpz kits for illicit drugs. Diabetics get their needles for free from the diabetic association.8)

Everything you do/say is taken note of and recorded and passed on, it will catch up with you eventually. If your name starts showing up at police intel a few times it will get red flagged.
We write notes like "doctor shopper", "codeine addict", and occasionally "fuck wit" in people's patient record all the time (if only you knew). What did you think, that Pharmacy graduates are idiots?
I'm all for having fun, but leave the HIC alone. Pay for your own drugs.

clocker: just to further explore 'oceanboy's question, how does the whole "doctor shopper" reporting thing work? i figure when you put notes onto a patients file it is for your pharmacy only - so how does the national dr shopper program work?

I mean i have read articles on the net about people who fit into a 'criteria' who are flagged as dr shoppers with the HIC and investigated.
Is this because an excess amount of medicare slips (the ones you sign after seeing the dr) are filed against your name, or is because excess amount of scripts are filled against your name?
anyone?

and what about sudafed though I have had to produce my licence to buy straight sudafed for a cold recently at 2 different chemists, would they for instance keep records for that.

Originally posted by phase_dancer
what about things that contain medium levels of pseudoephedrine or codeine? Are you telling me there's no collective database, and that people can still travel from pharmacy to pharmacy, buying these over the counter medications without risk?

Thus far, there is no collective database, as far as I know (last confirmed 1 year ago). The logistics of it (and privacy issues) make it impractical. Record keeping is restricted to the pharmacy where the service takes place.

Because of this, people can still travel from pharmacy to pharmacy, and that is why significant effort is being invested by the police at the moment to enlist pharmacists in an effort to control pseudoeph more strictly (as has been happening over the past few years). Most recently the Pharmacy Guild introduced new guidelines about the placement of pseudoephedrine products in the store, as mentioned in the article in this thread.
The Guild website published the guidelines online too.

Originally posted by superbabydoc
It is Schedule 3, meaning the pharmacist has to hand it to you, and ask for your name and address if they wish.

Yeah, Sudafed '6 Hour' (small red box) is Schedule 3 Recordable (S3R), so the pharmacist is obliged to keep a record of the sale (date, strength etc.) and the details of the patient: name and address. And as you said, the pharmacist must give it to the patient themselves, and the box also needs a dispensary label on it.

The police have been known to come in and hassle pharmacists for the details of purchases, and even when the pharmacist refuses, they are known to return and keep hassling. Pharmacists have a duty to report frequent purchases, but are not obliged to give police the details of their patients. This is why many pharmacists don't sell Sudafed 6 Hour - they don't want to get intimidated by police who want to know the names of patients who have bought products where the transaction was not deemed suspicious by the pharmacist.

I suspect the police might be doing some homework themselves, looking to collect lists from multiple pharmacies in a given area to compare purchaser details, to see if anyone has been shopping around pharmacies in the immediate area (their way of overcoming the lack of a collective database and multiple pharmacy shoppers).

Originally posted by superbabydoc
(solid dose being products containing pseudoephedrine alone)

'Solid dose' just refers to any tablet or capsule pseudoeph preparations, i.e. solid dosage form (as opposed to liquid, like in cough syrups containing pseudoeph etc.), whether they be compounded with other actives or just pseudoeph alone.

'Single entity' or 'single ingredient' refers to preparations containing pseudoephedrine only.

Originally posted by clocker

"I'm allergic to paracetamol" when they offer you a combination decongestant. Paracetamol allergies are extrermely rare.

I think the strategy of reducing access to pseudoephedrine preparations is flawed. Demand for speed will not dwindle.

Sure, people may not be allergic to paracetamol, but what about people who simply don't want to take an analgesic with their decongestant? How is it in line with the policy of Quality Use of Medicines to offer people a drug which they do not need? Ask your pharmacist.

If there wasn't a legitimate use for Sudafed 6 Hour, then it would no longer be on the shelf, or it would become S4. If it really is such a significant problem, then the police and government would overcome the protests of Pfizer and they would shift it to S4. Since this has not happened, I presume that it has reasonable therapeutic uses, and I wouldn't be so quick to assume that everyone wanting to buy Sudafed 6 Hour is a meth cook or shopper, making people munch drugs that they don't need.

Anyway, you can see that it is one failure after another. First they make single ingredient preparations S3R. Then the manufacturers (many of whom are not stupid) simply perform a few extra extraction steps and find it easy to move onto compounded and slow release formulations which are easier to acquire. Now the police pressure the Guild into introducing new guidelines for the S2's.

Then the manufacturers become more daring, and start to rob pharmaceutical warehouses. I was skeptical too until Jimity posted a link to thisarticle.

You will also make yourself look extremely stupid by asking for "diabetic/insulin syringes". You are buying sharpz kits for illicit drugs.

If you work in a pharmacy, I suggest you try and understand why a patient would ask for diabetic syringes instead of thinking that they look stupid for doing so. It is a sad fact of our society that there is still much stigma associated with drug use and IV drug administration - perhaps patients are asking for diabetic syringes because they do not want to be subjected to the prejudice and attitude that they get from staff when they ask for a harm reduction service. It is not stupid to try and avoid the critical attitudes of other people - it is normal. Pharmacists are in a great position to offer help and knowledge to IV drug users, and this can do alot of good. A little bit of empathy will go a long way.

Everything you do/say is taken note of and recorded and passed on, it will catch up with you eventually. If your name starts showing up at police intel a few times it will get red flagged.
We write notes like "doctor shopper", "codeine addict", and occasionally "fuck wit" in people's patient record all the time (if only you knew). What did you think, that Pharmacy graduates are idiots?

Wow, your standards of service are amazing. It is good to see that you are dedicated to helping out your patients, and treating them all in an equal and fair manner. If only all pharmacists had such a firm grasp of professional ethics. Do you write "senile moron" on the files of patients with dementia, or "limp dick" on patients who suffer from erectile dysfunction? In fact, are you sure you even work in a pharmacy??? Most pharmacies aren't remote police stations either.

Judging by what you have said above, if I didn't know any better I probably would think that many pharmacy graduates are idiots.

??? Privacy Act & Respect

To quote Clocker;
I mean they have access to other same chain's database?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
me:What about HIC doing blackbanning of so called "doctor-shoppers? How else would they get the info to prompt them to do that unless there was a central database?

You just get like this 6th sense for it. There are always the "excuses", "stories" and the body language. We've seen/heard it all before.

To all the sudafed runners out there, it's all obvious what's going on and there is plenty of cooperation with police. There has even been ID's released on a wanted list of the really bad ones with "ring us immediately" printed under it.

"I'm getting it for <insert relative here> they only want <insert decongestant brand here>"

"Only Sudafed works" All decongestants have pseudoephedrine in them. It's all the same drug. if sudafed works so will the one combination tablet you are being offered.

You will also make yourself look extremely stupid by asking for "diabetic/insulin syringes". You are buying sharpz kits for illicit drugs. Diabetics get their needles for free from the diabetic association.

I'm all for having fun, but leave the HIC alone. Pay for your own drugs

Peace.
This is seemingly (from views of appearance), to be a complicated issue.
Dear clocker,
I see some contradictions in what you wrote.
I do not know what may prompt you to write
"leave the HIC alone"
just because I write
"What about HIC doing blackbanning of so called "doctor-shoppers? How else would they get the info to prompt them to do that unless there was a central database?
does not mean that I am against the HIC( except perhaps when they make mistakes & even then I am total forgiveness.)

I am a pro-health, harm reduction and minimisation health professional.

Also you write
but then you also write
"To all the sudafed runners out there, it's all obvious what's going on and there is plenty of cooperation with police. There has even been ID's released on a wanted list of the really bad ones with "ring us immediately" printed under it.
and
and what does this mean:
Pay for your own drugs.
????
Anyway,
I am not a doctor shopper, I am really just trying to understand who really is in control and has access to information. How "powerful' is the privacy act and how many people in the health industries and agencies are respecting it?
Well it seems that if chemist staff may be back-stabbing people by writing f.wit" in the fellow living human being's notes, I find it to be a shocking and highly disrespctful (and maybe lack of duty of care) to a person that may need assistance in their challenges in life( i.e through true health care, education & promotion rather than abuse.
There is more that can be said.
Anyway again.
Peace.
:)
O.

Last edited:
Originally posted by scatrd
and what about sudafed though I have had to produce my licence to buy straight sudafed for a cold recently at 2 different chemists, would they for instance keep records for that.

Yes they will keep the records of the sale, including your details. But at the moment exchange of such details between pharmacies is (probably) not happening. However, police might still be nosing around.

If you do not wish to attract bad attention, don't return to the same pharmacy to buy another pseudoephedrine product (especially the one they recorded your details for) for a while (i.e. over a month).

See my post above.

In Victoria:
The introduction of HIC’s Prescription Shopper Information Service means that doctors are now able
to contact HIC on 1800 631 181 (free call) 24-hours a day, 7-days a week, to determine if a
person has been identified as a drug-seeker.
To determine if another doctor holds a permit or is currently treating a patient, Doctors (only) may
phone the DPU Help Line - 1300 364 545.

Big Sister?

From HIC @
http://www.hic.gov.au/yourhealth/our_services/medicare_smartcard.htm
The new Medicare smartcard, is the first step in what is an exciting new way for you to manage your health information in the future.
medicare_smartcard_with_chip.jpg

Registering for a Medicare smartcard is your choice. If you live in Tasmania and are eligible to register (you are a permanent resident who is an Australian citizen or have a permanent resident visa), you can go to your closest Medicare office to register for a Medicare smartcard.

In time, the Medicare smartcard will be made available to the rest of Australia , in line with the HealthConnect initiative. HealthConnect is an electronic health records system, which will store medical information—with your consent—about the interactions you have with your healthcare professionals.

Currently, the smartcard has the same information as the standard Medicare card, with the added choice of including a personal digital photo. The Medicare smartcard looks just like the standard Medicare card, except it contains a computer chip for storing and in the future—accessing—health information.

To find out more:

visit your local Tasmanian Medicare office
download our Medicare smartcard brochure (404k)
read the Frequently Asked Questions below
call us on 1300 850 155
If you live in Tasmania and would like to register for a Medicare smartcard, download the registration form (71k) , fill it out at your leisure and take it (along with your evidence of identity documents) to your nearest Tasmanian Medicare office.

The information you provide on a Medicare smartcard registration form will be used to determine eligibility for Medicare enrolment and Medicare smartcard registration. It will maintain a record of entitled persons for the government programs administered by HIC.

Collection of this information is authorised by law and may be disclosed to the Department of Health and Ageing, Centrelink, the Department of Veterans’ Affairs and the Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs.

Information concerning any identification number given to you by HIC and your eligibility for a benefit administered by HIC, may be provided to a person who renders a hospital, medical or pharmaceutical service, to a member of the staff of that person, or to a person nominated to administer your affairs.

All information stored on a Medicare smartcard can be accessed by anyone who is in possession of the card and a card reader, including situations where the card has been lost or stolen.

clocker said:

Oh really well after 3 years of frequently obtaining of benzos, dexies, codiene and dxm, occasionally while already high on the drug im purchasing, when exactly are these all seeing all knowing all recording pharmacists going to tighten the noose? Give us a break.

Oh really well after 3 years of frequently obtaining of benzos, dexies, codiene and dxm, occasionally while already high on the drug im purchasing, when exactly are these all seeing all knowing all recording pharmacists going to tighten the noose?

When you become the worst of a bad bunch. I know of one lady that made a great living doctor shopping and diverting drugs to the black market (all at tax payer's expense, healthcare cards are a scam). She got away with it for at least 3 years that I know of and now she is banned from all the pharmacies in our Area. We knew what was going on a long time before she was banned. Infact, the first time she walked through the door 3 years ago I knew what was going on. It was written all over her face. She had a story for everything and had a wad of only drugs of dependence scripts in her hand. She had the whole range of benzos; temazepam, serepax, nitrazepam you name it, the weight loss stimulants, panadeine forte's galore and even oxycodone and MS-contin.
and no one is going to report you for codeine or DXM, the staff will start taking note of your presence though and they will know you are an "addict". I'm not telling you what to do, I'm just telling you my experience. From what you described, once you leave they will all talk about that "john smith junkie" and the latest excuse you've used to get a repeat early. At the end of the day it's your life not theirs.

But at the moment exchange of such details between pharmacies is (probably) not happening. However, police might still be nosing around.

Yes it periodically gets collected by police's intel department from all the pharmacies in the area. Here the data is analysed and if your name comes up the most it will be red flagged. Inter-pharmacy co-operation only happens with extreme cases of doctor shoppers (another pharmacy down the road was warned of a doctor shopper probably heading their way with an early repeat and they did show up 5 minnutes later).

If you do not wish to attract bad attention, don't return to the same pharmacy to buy another pseudoephedrine product (especially the one they recorded your details for) for a while (i.e. over a month).

They won't have forgotten in a month, computer's don't forget things. They know what you are doing the first time you walk in. If you really have to do it, don't go back to the same place within 6 months I'd say, that way the cops will always have runners that are more active than you. This is no guarantee though.

Oceanboy: To clarify it is illegal for pharmacies to share patient data with each other. This is what I meant by "big Brother. Abuse of the PBS will get reported to the HIC.

I am a pro-health, harm reduction and minimisation health professional.

Then don't clog up the health system with doctor shopping and waste tax payer's money.

Sure, people may not be allergic to paracetamol, but what about people who simply don't want to take an analgesic with their decongestant?
Genuine customers are easy to pick and when we get a genuine request we still had a few boxes out the back that we could sell to them. Everyone else is given the standard "we don't stock it". Now that we don't even bother stocking those few boxes anymore we have to sell the combination tablets.
That's the problem, the speed manufacturing industry has wrecked it for genuine customers. Panadol is hardly an analgesic though and is pretty much harmless. If your nose is that bad you will have to deal with taking panadol.

If there wasn't a legitimate use for Sudafed 6 Hour, then it would no longer be on the shelf, or it would become S4. If it really is such a significant problem, then the police and government would overcome the protests of Pfizer and they would shift it to S4. Since this has not happened, I presume that it has reasonable therapeutic uses, and I wouldn't be so quick to assume that everyone wanting to buy Sudafed 6 Hour is a meth cook

It is borderline S3 already, and there are pushes to make it S4. My pharmacy just flat out doesn't bother to stock it anymore (as a lot of pharmacies do). Not one box of single ingredient pseudo. You are right, not everyone coming into a pharmacy asking for sudafed is a meth cook, we know that and don't assume that everyone is dodgey. The ones that walk in with a $50 note in their hand ready to go, that look like junkies, nervously walk straight up to the counter scouting your shelves for the right one and have a lame excuse ready to go aren't fooling anyone. Some of them are even dumb enough to stand there and then proceed to ask for, usually in this order, "telfast decongestant, demazin 6 hour or actifed", they can rattle off the whole range of tablets that can be used for extraction. All of which we don't stock because of this. This has led me to say straight away after they ask for sudafed "we don't stock anything that can be used for the manufacture of amphetamines". Then they get the idea, word gets around all the running circles and we now don't get asked nearly as often as we used to.
What is always funny is when you talk a newbie runner into buying a paracetamol or ibuprofen mixed tablet, they come back 15 minutes later with a nervous look and some lame ass excuse to try to get their money back.
Sometimes a car load of runners will pull up and one after the other they come in asking for sudafed (all 5 of them). If you reject the first one they all go away. Picking them out isn't rocket science.

I think the strategy of reducing access to pseudoephedrine preparations is flawed. Demand for speed will not dwindle.

It's not about dwindling demand, it's about dwindling supply. It is much more difficult to collect the stuff when pharmacies simply don't have it. I'm assuming the price of speed has risen since the new measures are in place because the price methcooks pay for the sudafed boxes the runners collect has gone up. These latest measures will make life harder for the "mom and pop" backyard operations that are typically more of a danger. This will have some effect on the market.
What measures do you think should be put in place to deal with the problems associated with speed addiction that I see every shift? I've even had one junkie open up and say"I'm sick of having no money and chasing all the time" she was off her face at the time (hence the frankness), I gave her the drug clinic's number and told her to call ASAP.

Do you write "senile moron" on the files of patients with dementia, or "limp dick" on patients who suffer from erectile dysfunction?

No, we don't write it (but we could think it), these people have genuine complaints. Customers that become aggressive, threaten your person or are obviously abusing the system get no love and others working in the pharmacy need to be made aware of this. The examples I gave were accurate descriptions of the patient's behaviour, if you find the idea of being labelled a "codeine addict" or "doctor shopper" offensive maybe it's time you changed your drug use habits. Everyone's human and you start to become a little jaded after even a few years. I only know of one customer that was labelled a "fuck wit", he really was though. After showing him his patient record we'd proven to him that he was wrong in telling us what he was and he still yelled and tried to lay blame with us. You'll excuse the french.

Most pharmacies aren't remote police stations either.

Pharmacies in our area were provided with sudafed runner forms, that they collected (this is the extreme end of the spectrum). The form asked for (amongst other things) their driver's licence number and the licence plate of the car they got into. Having said that, every pharmacy has its own unique relationship with the police according to its and the police's needs (sometimes the police initiate information sharing). No one is claiming that they are remote police stations, just be aware that they can and do pass on information to the police (I myself have refused this too our management, claiming that I don't want to make myself a target). It is up to you to take your chances. In areas where drug problems are particularly bad (read: the CBD of all capital cities) be extra cautious. Avoid the "community" pharmacies that stay open after hours and on weekends as they will have particularly jaded staff working in them. The larger shopping centre pharmacies (more committed to profits) could be the go. It all depends on the person in the dispensary.

A pharmacist that I worked with was deregistered for 1 year because he sold 5 or 6 boxes of sudafed to D's. It was a small struggling pharmacy and he thought it would be a good sale (I believe this as he was pretty straight and wasn't the type at all).

Last edited: