• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Question about alcohol withdrawal

If I had that, I'd be so rich I could hire people to cradle my head while I slept.

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) works for me eventually in all cases but full alcohol withdrawal (don't go past 50mg long-term, 100mg short-term). But you tried antihistamines. I've never had any success with herbs or roots or tinctures or teas, other than of the Cannabis species, but it can knock my intolerant ass out anytime. I think melatonin might work for shift workers, not for insomnia, does nothing for me. Oh wait, some retails sell Kava extracts, and some of them seem to have actual Kava, which may help slightly. Worth it to spend more for the eye-dropper extracts there.

One option that's not possible for everyone, but very effective: get physical. For me and mental issues-related insomnia, that's an epic walk or hill climb, pref in full sun on a hot day. At least six miles out, brisk pace. Sweat a lot and sunburn. You want painful blisters, shin splits, foxtails in your socks, a run-in with some hoodlums, enter an entirely new neighborhood Kwik-E-Mart for water, at least three sets of train tracks, a bridge, a vicious dog, and share tobacco with at least two separate groups of hobos, ask their names. Noon to after dusk, unless you favor adventure, depending on your neighborhood.

You'll be exhausted and can think about hobos instead.

Also, sex helps.

That's what I keep telling my lady!! SEX! But she is so overwhelmed with my addiction and recovery issues, I guess the thought isn't there for her. I hate this feeling of being "damaged" that I have with her. Like I'm inferior.

And Scrofula, than YOU for for the laughs and advice in your above post. I do have a dropper of kava, which I've been trying. Come to think of it, the night's I've used it were better than the ones I didn't.

A "serving" is 28 drops of 50 mg kavalactones... Which did nothing. When I upped to about 3x that, I think I felt something. I have the capsules too, but just seem bunk. May pick up another dropper tonight. And I agree -- melatonin is worthless for me, and NyQuil and the antihistamines put me our for about 90 minutes. That's it. Was hopeful for the NyQuil, also knowing it had a drop of alcohol in it.

Kava tonight... Any advice on dosing kava??? Greatly appreciated!!!

It sounds like we have the same drinking habit. It sucked but im so much happier not drinking. Thats a miserable addiction. If you feel okay after 3 days I dont see any reason you will suddenly start getting sick. Alcohol wd hits fairly quickly, and the RISKY (seizure) wd part is over.

Im sure most everything id want to say has been said by NOW I am just replying to let anyone reading know its possible to quit drinking. I tried many many many times on my own and finally had to atay in a detox for a handful of days and then go to inpatient. (I did THIS several times, too) The physical part is hard but its what's next that is trickiest of all.

I do also recommend therapy and support groups of any kind (to connect with others).

It sounds like we have the same drinking habit. It sucked but im so much happier not drinking. Thats a miserable addiction. If you feel okay after 3 days I dont see any reason you will suddenly start getting sick. Alcohol wd hits fairly quickly, and the RISKY (seizure) wd part is over.

Im sure most everything id want to say has been said by NOW I am just replying to let anyone reading know its possible to quit drinking. I tried many many many times on my own and finally had to atay in a detox for a handful of days and then go to inpatient. (I did THIS several times, too) The physical part is hard but its what's next that is trickiest of all.

I do also recommend therapy and support groups of any kind (to connect with others).

I'm reading, woamotive, I should be working but all I'm doing is feeling miserable, tired and obsessing over my addiction and recovery. For me, with two little ones, lack of resources and a Full time job, in-patient is not an option.

For me, it's poly-drug addiction. I'm in therapy. My wife knows, the same wife who revealed to me that for the last few months she has been thinking a lot about divorce, but was afraid to say anything knowing how defensive I may get while under the influence. I'm just so uncomfortable in my own skin. I want to drink myself to sleep so badly. I'm not going to, I am committed to cleaning my act up.

I know it is not recommended by many to smoke weed, but I may have to take a puff when I get home. Under the influence of MJ, my desire for booze and pills has always gone away.

Any advice on dosing kava???

Apparently, there's Kava and then there's Kava.

One is a mythical drink that can be found by itinerant surfers taking "a year off" from college, on Oahu's North Shore. It is a disgusting, yet extremely potent drink with effects similar to booze, but you get the phantom voice of Jack Johnson strumming in your head all night. I will quote an actual subject, a friend, "I can't believe this stuff is legal."

The other is the stuff you can buy in stores, which I totally believe are legal, maybe an FTC violation, which seem to contain from 0% actual kava to maybe 2%?
I'm telling you, it's a total crap shoot with brands, and most are garbage. But, I have had capsules that were effective at like quadruple the suggested dose. Yes, I'm banging my head to remember the brands. I'll try to get back to you on that.

I don't think Kava is the best sub for booze and sleep, it can do a number on your liver sometimes, and yeah, I spent a week eating way too much and slurping the eyedroppers, did get a kind of rash. But for temp use, fuck it.

I'd suggest to the old lady that she try out a clean body, one that isn't oozing acidosis metabolites and can keep a boner going. I've heard ladies actually prefer that.

Apparently, there's Kava and then there's Kava.

One is a mythical drink that can be found by itinerant surfers taking "a year off" from college, on Oahu's North Shore. It is a disgusting, yet extremely potent drink with effects similar to booze, but you get the phantom voice of Jack Johnson strumming in your head all night. I will quote an actual subject, a friend, "I can't believe this stuff is legal."

The other is the stuff you can buy in stores, which I totally believe are legal, maybe an FTC violation, which seem to contain from 0% actual kava to maybe 2%?
I'm telling you, it's a total crap shoot with brands, and most are garbage. But, I have had capsules that were effective at like quadruple the suggested dose. Yes, I'm banging my head to remember the brands. I'll try to get back to you on that.

I don't think Kava is the best sub for booze and sleep, it can do a number on your liver sometimes, and yeah, I spent a week eating way too much and slurping the eyedroppers, did get a kind of rash. But for temp use, fuck it.

I'd suggest to the old lady that she try out a clean body, one that isn't oozing acidosis metabolites and can keep a boner going. I've heard ladies actually prefer that.

Thanks Scrof. Actually, I've been horny as fuck since trying to get straight-ish. And now you're going to make me google acidosis metabolites. But that's the longterm goal... a clean body... it has been SO LONG since :( During my opiate addiction my libido was way down... then after quitting the pills, I became a raging alcoholic for 3 months, but prior to that I was a relatively moderate drinker. Every night a few slugs, but not hammered.

you're going to make me google acidosis metabolites.

Don't bother, I have more than one degree in that stuff, and I don't know what it is that oozes from us during a drunk or especially after one. Some kind of soul-rot, I think. Transmuting happiness and potential into a stank that comes off on your pillow.

Well, be glad the after-poppy sex drive is going, because during my non-drunk periods, I usually couldn't get the urge going. I never had an abstinence goal, really, but I didn't like it that I needed at least a hint of a buzz to get things started (all about personal body-shame), knew beer or gin breath wasn't helping if I did (she rarely drank). Of course, I didn't care about either when blasted, but then ol' whiskey dick would show up, just slap everyone with a wet sock.

And with that I'm meandering off-topic. Anyway, don't stress. Hey, on a random weekday I baked a huge chocolate souffle and then read out loud from some Gabriel Garcia Marquez, got tipped for my efforts in a story for another thread. But that stuff only happens sober.