• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Questins about GHB tolerance & withdrawal

ayemsea

Greenlighter
So I've been dosing GHB pretty much 24/7 for 3 months now, but I've noticed a trend; my doses are getting gradually higher. At first I was taking 800mg of GHB every 2 hours, but now I'm taking 2500mg every 3 hours (I found that if I re-dosed too frequently, the GHB would build up too much and it would make me drowsy)

I have asperger's syndrome, which is a mild form of autism. I have found that the GHB temporarily relieves the symptoms of aspergers (for me, it manifests itself as acute social anxiety, which causes me to become very stressed out when in open/public environments; i just stop going out really).

I have already decided that the benefits of GHB far outweigh the negatives, but it would be in my best interests to take the lowest amount that I can get the 'feeling' from, and only take it when I need it.

Could anyone recommend a dosing schedule for me, where I can dose 24/7 without it building tolerance, please? (if possible, maybe GABAnergic drugs are just not sustainable in the long-term because of this quick building tolerance?)

I use volumetric dosing, so I could just increase the amount of water in the GHB by like 10ml per week to taper myself down to a new dose if I need to (currently I'm doing 1ml = 1000mg) if I need to?

Or perhaps I should try to increase the redose interval to 2.5g every 6 hours instead of 3?

Ideally I want to do the smallest amount in order to feel the effects, and do it as infrequently as possible (the longest I've tried going without GHB was 12 hours, but after that I felt kinda bored so I just redosed anyway because the half-life of GHB is less than 12 hours i think)

there is a sad truth out there - GABA ligand usage is an unsustainable practice. I have tried almost every permutation - (a) and (b) subtypes. There is no magic bullet and you need to be REALLY careful getting off that. Have you ever run out? Please be aware 3 mos 24/7 dosing is guaranteed to put you in a state of dangerous DT's if your supply is interrupted. I would strongly recommend securing some phenibut or baclofen as a backup in case, it may literally save your life. Benzos/alcohol will not sub for GHB withdrawal and may not even interrupt the seizures. Gabapentin/lyrica would work in a pinch as well. I really wish I had better news than that. Also - constant usage of GABA agents to deal with anxiety issues IME leads to a drastic worsening of said anxiety issues. It will go away with time if you let your receptors heal. If I knew then what I know now, I would never use any GABA agent more than 1x weekly.

there is a sad truth out there - GABA ligand usage is an unsustainable practice. I have tried almost every permutation - (a) and (b) subtypes. There is no magic bullet and you need to be REALLY careful getting off that. Have you ever run out? Please be aware 3 mos 24/7 dosing is guaranteed to put you in a state of dangerous DT's if your supply is interrupted. I would strongly recommend securing some phenibut or baclofen as a backup in case, it may literally save your life. Benzos/alcohol will not sub for GHB withdrawal and may not even interrupt the seizures. Gabapentin/lyrica would work in a pinch as well. I really wish I had better news than that. Also - constant usage of GABA agents to deal with anxiety issues IME leads to a drastic worsening of said anxiety issues. It will go away with time if you let your receptors heal. If I knew then what I know now, I would never use any GABA agent more than 1x weekly.

Well, shit...

I have a bunch of weird rules I try to follow, and one of those rules is "If 3 knowledgeable people tell you something, it's probably true" (and you're the 3rd person now to tell me to stop 24/7 dosing GABA because it fucks you up in the end)

I just really wanted it to work out, so I continued with my experiments but no more now... :( I guess I will start tapering off today...

I have a constant supply available (and currently have 86g, so there is no chance of me running out today, but I appreciate your warning anyway; I have experienced GBL cold-turkey before, and I never want to experience it again!)

Would 10% reduction per week be too fast of a taper? I don't mind dealing with some mild discomfort, but I'd prefer to avoid DTs and seizures if possible :p

Also, would phenibut help? If it affects the GABA-b receptor, wouldn't it just extend the tapering unnecessarily?

Last edited:
If I were in your shoes, given those variables I would :

A. Chart my doses in a day, so I can find out when and exactly how much I am taking to be stable ( I assume you're probably at 3 - 6 doses a day, somewhere in there?)
B. Not allow myself to go over that, stabilize, not add doses and start slowly subtracting the G. 10% a week spread over all the doses at first may be ok, if too much, adjust down to 5%
C. Once I'm maybe halfway, or 1/3rd through that I would start trying to get my # of doses a day down to 2 or 3... maybe 4 for sleep.
D. At this point, I would attempt to use phenibut to sub and see what dose is required (If I had baclofen or lyrica I would probably add that here)
E. I would continue to taper out rapidly on the phenibut, trying not to use it more than a week.
F. Still feel a little rattled but mostly ok and ride it out

That would be my gameplan. If the phen didn't work at step D, I would continue to taper the G until I got to a point where I could use phen. I would switch because the longer halflife will make things WAAAY more comfortable and it will be less daunting just subtracting from a morning and evening dose.
You might also want to look into fasoracetam for fixing up your gaba-B receptors after this mess. Also look into martial arts/meditation/any exercise to help w anxiety etc. Hope this helps!