Q on squat form

basix

Bluelighter
I got a question about squat form its just a small thing i always hear that you should flex/tighten your abnominals while squatting,

Im not sure if this means to suck my stomach in or what?

No- if anything push them out. Just tense them as if you were doing a sit up (or about to take a punch to the gut).

I think it's pretty natural, you shouldn't have to think about it. Do keep your hands near your shoulders and your elbows pointing DOWN not back, this will tremendously help keep the good form.

I can't imagine doing squats with loose abs. Most of the body's musculature naturally tightens during heavy squats.

go use the smith machine to learn good squat form...even the most advanced lifters utilize the smith machine because of its stable ability

^ Yes. Before you start doing squats/deadlifts, you should have fairly strong core. Takes a lot of pressure off your back. Weak abs=back injuries.

^ Yes. Before you start doing squats/deadlifts, you should have fairly strong core. Takes a lot of pressure off your back. Weak abs=back injuries.

I would recommend just starting out light, no reason to not include squats in your workout, as they will strengthen your core and you pc.

Actually, I wouldn't start out with TOO LIGHT of a weight. If you start to light, you won't get the proper technique down, because you'll just bend your back and whatnot. My coach would always have been put on a little more weight than 'light', so we were forced to use our quads, straight back, and tightened abs.

Actually, I wouldn't start out with TOO LIGHT of a weight. If you start to light, you won't get the proper technique down, because you'll just bend your back and whatnot. My coach would always have been put on a little more weight than 'light', so we were forced to use our quads, straight back, and tightened abs.

Yeah, I'm not saying to start with an empty barbell, I would start with a plate on each side. I would consider that a light squat, I doubt anyone would consider it too heavy to learn the proper form, but if it's too much you could always start lower.