• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Q&A recap: Euthanasia, voluntary assisted dying, discussing death

poledriver

Bluelighter
Q&A recap: Euthanasia, voluntary assisted dying, discussing death

DYING with Dignity Victoria vice-president Rodney Syme says he wants authorities to charge him in a bid to challenge the law surrounding assisted dying in Australia.

The euthanasia campaigner made the comment during a passionate Q&A discussion in which Dr Syme revealed he had not only given a man Nembutal — the drug of choice in assisted dying — but that he had also told police about it.
“I have openly gone and stated to the police that I have given a man Nembutal,” he told the ABC panel show’s audience. “I have described the circumstances in which that happened. At the end of the day, the policeman said to me very kindly, ‘I don’t think there is enough evidence to prosecute’”.

2af72ddd35de31fb3827319f25f8a2b5

“I’ve had a policeman come into my home after I have given (medication) to a woman — and she had, as I suggested she did, she had a discussion about the matter of her wanting to end her life with her family because she hadn’t done it.
“I think it is absolutely imperative that a person who wants to end their life engages with their family, gets them to understand why they need to consider making a decision like this, gets them involved in the process, the humane process of dying. In that instance, the woman who took the medication had told her son that I had given the medication.

“As a result, a coroner’s inquest took place. The police came round to see me. As they walked down the door to interview me, they said ‘Don’t get alarmed, doctor, this is just for a coronial inquest, not for a prosecution”.”
Host Tony Jones interrupted him to ask if he was actually trying to provoke police into prosecuting him to set up a test case.
“Yes, indeed,” Dr Syme replied, “I would argue what I am doing in providing somebody with medication is providing them with very, very good palliation (end of life care).

“If (doctors) can help a person to die by providing them with injectable medications, morphine and Medazolam, which hastens their death, and he is doing it to relieve their suffering, then I argue that I can provide a person with medication which provides them with palliation, relieves the psychological and existential suffering which they have when they are facing a dreadful death — I believe that is a palliative act.”

Earlier, journalist and broadcaster Andrew Denton, who has spent the past eight months researching the issue and is proposing Australia adopts a law which allows voluntary assisted dying, revealed in his research that he was told doctors were “killing” their elderly patients.

The revelation was made in response to a question from audience member Luke Formosa, who claimed reports from The Netherlands and Belgium showed euthanasia had “gone too far”.
He said the report claimed more than 1000 patients were “killed” as well as 550 newborn
babies with diseases or disabilities.

He also claimed psychologists had been helping patients with mental disorders make a rational decision to kill themselves.
Mr Denton refuted his claims saying he thought the figures regarding the newborn babies was wrong.
“The number of people that die under these laws in the Netherlands every year is less than 4 per cent of all people who die,” Mr Denton said. “That the rise in those numbers is because, like ours, this is an ageing population and a lot are reflected in cancer deaths. I completely dispute and question your assertion that 550 babies have been killed. Under Dutch law, there is a protocol which applies to very, very rare conditions of extreme spina benefits and a thing called ‘EB’, where your skin is literally flaking off and it has applied to maybe a dozen babies.

“The other point you made about doctors in the Netherlands and Belgium killing patients, this is one of the first things I heard when I started on this journey - I was very confronted by it, I was told doctors were killing elderly patients in these countries. It took me a long time to dig to the bottom of it and find out what it was.

“What it was...it was standard palliative care practice. What in fact happened with these so-called murders, because death is a very complicated thing and there are many grey areas, what they discovered because the Dutch, unlike our country, have an incredible X-ray over end-of-life practices, they know what’s happened, who has done it, how it’s happened.
“We don’t have that here. The patients who had been murdered, in fact, they were euthanised without their consent. Why? Because they were in the last 24 or 48 hours of their life, they were in a coma, most had had a previous conversation with their physician about euthanasia.

“If not the family was there and, more than that, they discovered when they really examined this that the physician had given the medication which had ended this person’s life not with the intention of ending their life but with the intention of relieving their pain. You just gave a textbook example of what I have been dealing with for eight months, which is con flags, distortion and, frankly, misrepresentation of facts to paint a picture which actually is not true.”

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...discussing-death/story-fn948wjf-1227602423140

What a sick world - we are living in. Sad and true.
Cancer in the last state, always pain - sure you wan't die - just stop that fucking pain.
But what if cancer is curable? Or inducted by our authorities? Ask (if you can talk to them) a San Bushman about committing suicide or euthanasia. I think he will not able to understand this. Why doing this. For every poison in world - God gave as a cure - we have just to find it.

And fuck big pharma, it turned only to a cash machine.

What a sick world - we are living in. Sad and true.
Cancer in the last state, always pain - sure you wan't die - just stop that fucking pain.
But what if cancer is curable? Or inducted by our authorities? Ask (if you can talk to them) a San Bushman about committing suicide or euthanasia. I think he will not able to understand this. Why doing this. For every poison in world - God gave as a cure - we have just to find it.

And fuck big pharma, it turned only to a cash machine.

Wuuuut?

No offence, guy, but I want my access to euthanasia if I end up with a debilitating terminal illness to be decided by me, not by your religious beliefs.

I would rather be given the choice to live or die. Call me a coward, but I would like a doctor to make it as painless as possible if I have exhausted all options of curing myself, or alleviating my existential suffering. Luckily I'm trying to get the virus thats killing me cured....its been a journey. I would like to say that if it progresses further that I would have that option available to me.

When I was 12 my mum had an aneurism and two strokes, she lost the ability to talk, the right side of her body (she was right handed so couldn't even write) and her mind. We spent 4 years watching her suffer and slowly die a very painful death. There was no cure, and she wanted to die.
You will not understand this hell until you've lived through it, if you wanna give me your God shit about euthanasia then I will respectfully say fuck your God.

Euthanasia should everybody's choice.

A person's life belongs only to them and they must have the right to decide when to end it if they want to do so. The only humane thing we as a society can do is provide such people with the means to end their life in dignity and make it as painless as possible. I rarely bring religion into discussion, but fuck religion, it's a load of bullshit on this matter. And fuck laws against voluntary euthanasia. No one should have the right to take someone else's life, and no one should have the right to restrict someone from taking their own life. Yes, there are many sides to this, but in my radical opinion this is a basic human right and the only thing we can do is respect it, not try to control it or restrict it like we do with many things (drugs being one).

Oh and the argument that "suicide is egoistical, think of the people who will get hurt!". Well that makes them just as fucking egoistical if not more, don't you think? If a person has to suffer day to day just so someone else can "enjoy them being alive".

/rant

Last edited:
Oh and the argument that "suicide is egoistical, think of the people who will get hurt!". Well that makes them just as fucking egoistical if not more, don't you think? If a person has to suffer day to day just so someone else can "enjoy them being alive".

/rant

Indeed, it's a BS argument. Well, it's a BS argument in the circumstances we're talking about, either terminal illness or being condemned to having no quality of life until you die. If my loved ones love me so much, why would they want me to suffer so badly?

Anyhow, it's BS for another reason too, which is that in my experience, having to watch someone slowly and painfully die is much worse for the family as well as the victim than just letting them die with dignity when they make the choice to do so.