• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Purpose of delta FOSB

Neuroprotection

Bluelighter
What is the purpose of FOSB. I have heard it plays a major role In reward sensitisation and addiction to most drugs in reward sensitisation and addiction to most drugs of abuse. However I wonder if its role is more than that, Maybe a neuroprotective roll. Does anyone know if it is linked to Oxidative stress? would blocking delta FOSB reverse part of an addictive behaviour. I know it won't solve the problem, as addiction is more complex than that.
What are your opinions?

DeltaFosB is a transcription factor that regulates the expression of genes that control synaptic function/structure. Addiction involves learning/synaptic remodeling in various brain regions and deltaFosB is thought to be part of the process by which some of those changes occur. It isn't specifically linked to oxidative stress (oxidative stress doesn't play a direct role in how the brain processes information). To the extent that synaptic remodeling can be reversed, reducing levels of deltaFosB may be able to negate some changes that underlie addictive behavior, although there are other factors that also contribute to addiction. For example, withdrawal also plays a role in compulsive drug use and the circuits that drive those adaptations do not completely overlap with the circuits that are involved in habit formation and reinforcement learning.

Last edited:
Since I've literally just written an essay in this reply, there may be typos that I've missed which make a sentence read somewhat retardedly. I apologize in advance. :p
I also tried to use precise language to avoid overgeneralizing any of the statements involving what is known about the role of ΔFosB and its transcriptional targets in addiction. If I said something that anyone thinks is stupid/overgeneralized, I'd appreciate it if you'd point it out so that I can clarify my intended meaning or provide a reference.

To the extent that synaptic remodeling can be reversed, reducing levels of deltaFosB may be able to negate some changes that underlie addictive behavior, although there are other factors that also contribute to addiction. For example, withdrawal also plays a role in compulsive drug use and the circuits that drive those adaptations do not completely overlap with the circuits that are involved in habit formation and reinforcement learning.

Dependence/withdrawal isn't strictly associated with an addiction because they're not mediated by the same biomolecular mechanisms, but when addictive stimuli induce both a state of addiction and dependence, it certainly does exacerbate an addiction like you suggest. Some behavioral addictions, the dopamine dysregulation syndrome, and sometimes even drug addictions can occur without clinically significant manifestations of withdrawal symptoms from (physical/psychological) dependence. Dependence to a drug can also occur without an addiction (e.g., benzos cause dependence but not addiction; the same is true with propranolol and clonidine). IMO it's best to think of addiction and dependence as different disorders because their mechanisms differ; hence, a perfectly targeted treatment at the molecular level for an addiction wouldn't be an effective treatment for dependence and vice versa. Physical and psychological dependence are caused by different cellular mechanisms as well, but that's an unrelated point.

What is the purpose of FOSB.
Proteins don't really have a "purpose" per se, but the function of ΔFosB varies by cell type.

In D1-type medium spiny neurons (MSNs) in the nucleus accumbens (mainly the shell, although the core is involved too), ΔFosB overexpression induces the initial1 state of addiction by working with epigenetic proteins that function as transcriptional corepressors and coactivators to modify the expression of its transcriptional targets; some of these ΔFosB targets are also transcription factors which in turn affect the expression of other genes. These effects of ΔFosB on gene transcription within the neuron, along with it's stupidly long half-life which allows it to persist in cells for an abnormally+exceptionally long time (the half-life of the 35-37kD ΔFosB isoforms, which are the phosphorylated isoforms of the 33kD variant which is induced by drug exposure, is ~2 orders of magnitude longer than the regular FOS protein) is why it has been called a "master control protein" as a mechanism of addiction: it's a transcription factor that remains in neurons for far longer than any other transcription factor which is present in the cell and, for the duration that it persists in the cell, it continues to affect the expression of its transcriptional targets, some of which are transcription factors with their own transcriptional targets. The primary neuropsychological effect of all its transcriptional activity in D1-type NAcc neurons is to amplify incentive salience for positively reinforcing stimuli which are associated with the addictive stimulus (i.e., the addictive drug itself as well as its associated drug cues, like the sight of a crack pipe for a crack cocaine addict); this amplified "incentive salience" is perceived as an overwhelming urge/"wanting" (i.e., craving) for an addictive stimulus, and it's the core driver of drug self-administration from a drug addiction. [This is all stated and referenced in the text, tables, and diagrams in the ΔFosB and Addiction#Reward_sensitization sections on Wikipedia; this is basically just a brief summary of what I've written there.]

At much more normal (relatively low) levels of expression, ΔFosB in D1-type NAcc neurons makes an animal more resilient to various forms of chronic "defeat stress", thereby preventing the development of behaviors associated with depression (an example of a depression-related behavior that is associated with defeat stress is learned helpessness). Animals with higher levels of ΔFosB expression tend to endure these chronic stressors for longer periods before succumbing to them and developing a depression-related behavioral phenotype. Antidepressants like fluoxetine also mildly increase ΔFosB expression in these neurons, and this has been proposed as one of the transcriptional mechanisms in neurons through which antidepressant drugs exert a therapeutic effect on symptoms of major depressive disorder (e.g., see this review). For context, the timescale of clinically significant changes in gene expression from the use of antidepressants at therapeutic doses is consistent with the amount of time it takes for antidepressants to alter depressive symptoms.

Increases in ΔFosB expression in dorsal striatal D1-type MSNs induces locomotor sensitization by inducing NF-κB expression (possibly by other mechanisms as well), and it has been shown to cause dyskinesias when induced via viral vectors in these neurons in lab animals (see the "Other functions in the brain" section).

What is currently known about the functional role of ΔFosB within the hippocampus in relation to learning is summarized in this abstract.

ΔFosB expression is known to be induced in other brain structures by addictive drugs, including the prefrontal cortex, amygdala, rostromedial tegmental nucleus (ΔFosB in the RMTg is induced only by psychostimulants, not opiates or other addictive drugs), and elsewhere; the role/function of ΔFosB expression in these other brain structures, and consequently the significance of ΔFosB expression in these structures in relation to addiction, is currently unknown at the moment.

Outside the brain, FosB and ΔFosB are both involved in ostersclerosis in bone cells. As you can probably figure out from FosB's full name, "FBJ murine osteosarcoma viral oncogene homolog B", it's also a gene which is utilized by a retrovirus to cause a form of bone cancer. I don't think the ΔFosB splice variant has any particular significance in relation to FosB's viral oncogenesis though.

I have no clue how ΔFosB affects any other cell types besides what I've covered here.

1 By "initial state", I'm referring to the sensitization of drug reward. An addiction also involves learning processes associated with the development of behavioral responses to addiction-related drug cues (the dorsal striatum and NAcc are critically involved in this process) and the cravings associated with these cues. Essentially, this late phase is where an addict "learns" to associate neutral stimuli with the addictive stimulus, in turn establishing some of these previously neutral and subsequently drug-paired stimuli (i.e., drug cues) as conditioned/secondary positive reinforcers; other, less significant forms of associative learning involved in an addiction include things like the development of a conditioned place preference (CPP), which occurs both in humans as well as lab animals. Healthy individuals can develop CPPs with no risk of developing an addiction in response to addictive drug use though (e.g., short-term use of an ADHD stimulant at therapeutic doses induces a CPP in humans), so it's not inherently pathological. All of this associative learning arises from plasticity in a number of brain structures within the reward system that are interconnected with the striatum; all drug cue-induced cravings, which involves conditioned/secondary positive reinforcement where the drug cue is the secondary reinforcer, require the sensitization of incentive salience (i.e., the amplification of wanting/desire/craving), which arises through ΔFosB overexpression in D1-type NAcc MSNs, particularly in the NAcc shell since it's the brain structure that assigns incentive salience to a rewarding stimulus.

However I wonder if its role is more than that, Maybe a neuroprotective roll. Does anyone know if it is linked to Oxidative stress?
There's no known relationship between the two at the moment. If ΔFosB has any effect on neuronal survival, I imagine that it would probably be almost entirely mediated through one of its transcriptional target: NF-κB. Oxidative stress could conceivably (but probably doesn't) affect the induction/level of ΔFosB expression.

would blocking delta FOSB reverse part of an addictive behaviour. I know it won't solve the problem, as addiction is more complex than that.
If ΔFosB were suddenly repressed in D1-type NAcc MSNs (i.e., its expression suddenly plummets) without affecting the expression of other genes, it would probably prevent any further development of the addiction phenotype (i.e., "wanting"/craving and drug self-administration would either remain fixed, or possibly even be reduced, instead of slowly increase over time); that's only a guess, since selective ΔFosB repression hasn't been done in an experiment AFAIK. Experiments that have blocked/reversed ΔFosB-mediated effects in neurons (i.e., its transcriptional, synaptic, and behavioral effects) involve the use of viral vectors (e.g., the adeno-associated virus) to transfer a gene that inhibits ΔFosB induction and opposes its function (e.g., the epigenetic histone methyltransferase enzyme G9a, the transcription factors ΔJunD or ΔcJun, and other more complex genetically engineered epigenetic proteins, as described in this lay-summary) into neurons. Since NAcc G9a expression in D1-type MSNs increases from the chronic use of class I HDAC inhibitors in lab animals, drugs such as butyric acid (butyrate salts) which inhibit the class I HDAC enzymes (HDAC1, HDAC2, HDAC3, HDAC8 ) might be an effective pharmacotherapy for all forms of addiction in humans. [See the 3rd paragraph, including the 2 notes within it, under ΔFosB#Role in addiction if you care to know more]

Last edited:
Dependence/withdrawal isn't strictly associated with an addiction because they're not mediated by the same biomolecular mechanisms, but when addictive stimuli induce both a state of addiction and dependence, it certainly does exacerbate an addiction like you suggest. Some behavioral addictions, the dopamine dysregulation syndrome, and sometimes even drug addictions can occur without clinically significant manifestations of withdrawal symptoms from (physical/psychological) dependence. Dependence to a drug can also occur without an addiction (e.g., benzos cause dependence but not addiction; the same is true with propranolol and clonidine). IMO it's best to think of addiction and dependence as different disorders because their mechanisms differ; hence, a perfectly targeted treatment at the molecular level for an addiction wouldn't be an effective treatment for dependence and vice versa. Physical and psychological dependence are caused by different cellular mechanisms as well, but that's an unrelated point.

You are really being too pedantic in your evaluation of what I wrote. The distinction between addiction and dependence was dropped in DSM-V. If you look in the DSM-5 there is no disorder known as opioid addiction, there is "Opioid Use Disorder" of which withdrawal can be a diagnostic criterion. It is true that people can be dependent but not addicted to a substance. But withdrawal often plays a role in compulsive drug use. Dependence is obviously not the primary cause of addiction but that doesn't mean that drug withdrawal plays no role in addiction.

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that you thought that they were the same thing; I was just trying to be clear about the distinction. IMO, it's unfortunate that both the DSM-5 and ICD-10 lump an addiction and (physical/psychological) dependence together under 1 diagnosis. The DSM-5 calls it a "substance use disorder." The ICD-10 calls it a "dependence syndrome"; for some reason it also has a separate diagnosis for a "withdrawal state" though.

I believe it was Wikipedia that said that DeltaFosB can cause the dendritic spines of dopaminergic neurons to branch out - any idea how long these sort of effects may remain after DeltaFosB levels return to normal, might those connections be eventually trimmed away if left unused?

I believe it was Wikipedia that said that DeltaFosB can cause the dendritic spines of dopaminergic neurons to branch out - any idea how long these sort of effects may remain after DeltaFosB levels return to normal, might those connections be eventually trimmed away if left unused?
Drug-induced changes to dendritic morphology readily occur within the NAcc during self-administration and tends to reverse somewhat during withdrawal, although at least some stimulant-induced dendritic arborization (the development of new tree-like dendritic branches and increased density of dendritic spines on existing/new dendritic branches) tends to persist for a while (1+ months) after cessation of drug use. Similar dendritic arborization occurs from stimulant self-administration and excessively frequent sexual intercourse, but the opposite effect is observed from opiate self-administration. I haven't really bothered reading much about drug-induced dendritic arborization because it has been associated with both increases and decreases in drug reward and addictive drugs/behaviors don't uniformly affect dendritic morphology, as previously mentioned. Isolated changes in the expression of CREB, ΔJunD, ΔFosB, and a number of genes whose expression is altered by ΔFosB (e.g., NF-κB, Cdk5, G9a) have all been shown to affect dendritic branching/spine density, and I imagine a number of epigenetic proteins besides G9a are involved as well. This review has fairly good coverage of drug-induced changes in dendritic arborization and even includes a few related graphics. Stimulants also cause other morphological changes to dendrites, such as the effect on individual dendritic spines which is illustrated in this figure.

I imagine that all drug-induced changes in dendritic morphology revert back to the "pre-drug" normal or close to normal after a sufficient amount of time during abstinence (ballpark guess: several months of abstinence).

Last edited:
I'm curious what you think of this study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3037848/#!po=7.82313 showing that MDMA abusers who were abstinent on average for 3 years had increased dopamine compared to drug using controls/controls. Serotonin2A said it could be due to some form of sensitization and I had been wondering if it might be related to DeltaFosB since then. That is an awful long time for addiction related neuroplastic changes to stick around... Maybe if there is some minor activity that stimulates those dopaminergic neurons over the period of abstinence then those new synapses and such don't really decay.

That is an awful long time for addiction related neuroplastic changes to stick around...

I think a useful exercise is to think about how long the pathological drives/cravings/etc persist in addicts after they achieve abstinence. It can take years for thinking and behavior to normalize, although it seems like some aspects never normalize. Some of that persistance is almost certainly because of synaptic reorganization. Obviously you never really "unlearn" how to ride a bike. The same may be true of heroin use.

Part of the problem is that the striatum is "designed" to learn to habituate behaviors that predictively result in reinforcement. It has to be sensitive enough to respond to weak rewards. When you expose that system to something like heroin, which is far more powerful than most rewards, it is easy to understand why it can lead to pathological behavior.

Last edited:
Thank you.

Let's imagine that we wanted to try to reverse the changes that occur with addiction. If the "use it or lose it" theory holds true then it seems like the first step would be to stop stimulating the circuits/synapses that we want to wither away. I would assume that using antagonists of the receptors located on the pathological synapses in question would help in this regard?

I realize the subject of addiction so far has been dopamine but it seems to me that because glutamate plays such an essential role in learning and that because addiction is really an abberrant learning process that maybe glutamate antagonists that might allow some long term potentiation to diminish might be helpful.

Are there other transcription factors similar to DeltaFosB that regulate non dopaminergic neurons, a sort of DeltaFosB for glutamate or serotonin?

There's a number of distinct forms of neuroplasticity that arise during an addiction, and each follows its own time-course for returning to the pre-drug state during abstinence/treatment. I'm really not sure how long the sensitized-dopamine response (as measured by an elevated level of dopamine release relative to the initial exposure) to psychostimulants persists. I'm not aware of any factors that desensitize/habituate the dopamine response to psychostimulants in DA neurons either. Nonetheless, the fact that this form of sensitization has been shown to occur after a single exposure to amphetamine at a therapeutic dose and persist for over a year (this is covered in the paper you linked) suggests to me that this form of neuroplasticity likely isn't that significant in the grand scheme of things; after all, when used for the long-term treatment of ADHD, amphetamine obviously doesn't progressively sensitize DA release the longer that it's used. Intuitively, I also don't see how this form of sensitization could continuously occur even when stimulants are used even at much higher doses over the long-term, given that there's no evidence of an arbitrary dose of amph/meth inducing stupidly massive levels of DA efflux in individuals who have regularly used high doses of these stimulants for several years relative to healthy controls; so, there's very likely a mechanism that limits the amount of sensitization to stimulant-induced DA release that can occur.

Are there other transcription factors similar to DeltaFosB that regulate non dopaminergic neurons, a sort of DeltaFosB for glutamate or serotonin?

Just to clarify, the deltaFosB expressing neurons we are discussing (medium spiny neurons in dorsal and ventral striatum) are GABAergic, not dopaminergic.

Seppi said:
I'm really not sure how long the sensitized-dopamine response (as measured by an elevated level of dopamine release relative to the initial exposure) to psychostimulants persists.

This is probably one instance where we can learn a lot from clinical studies. The sensitization is thought to be responsible for stimulant craving in response to environmental cues. So the time it takes for craving to extinguish in abstinent cocaine/methamphetamine users is probably a good indicator of how long the response to dopamine remains sensitized.

Last edited:
Thank you.

Let's imagine that we wanted to try to reverse the changes that occur with addiction. If the "use it or lose it" theory holds true then it seems like the first step would be to stop stimulating the circuits/synapses that we want to wither away. I would assume that using antagonists of the receptors located on the pathological synapses in question would help in this regard?
Receptor antagonists might have an effect on some epigenetic proteins, but with transcription factors like CREB/ΔFosB, that approach would just prevent further increases in their expression if it is used concurrently with an addictive drug.

ΔFosB can be induced in a lot of different neural pathways, which includes glutamate/5-HT neurons; the effect of transcriptional regulation by ΔFosB in most of those neural pathways where it can be induced isn't currently known at the moment.

Thank you.

I realize the subject of addiction so far has been dopamine but it seems to me that because glutamate plays such an essential role in learning and that because addiction is really an abberrant learning process that maybe glutamate antagonists that might allow some long term potentiation to diminish might be helpful.

It’s been so many years since I touched on this topic and now my interest in Delta FOSB has reignited after I learnt about it’s amazing properties. To answer your question yes, there is a special FOSB like transcription factor for glutamate and it’s no other than Delta FOSB itself! basically, one of the many targets of Delta FOSB is a subunit of the AMPA glutamate receptor called GLUR2. when included in AMPA receptor complexes, GLUR2 makes the receptors impermeable to calcium and lowers their overall conductance of other ions. Delta FOSB signals for the creation of more GLUR2 subunits, as well as their inclusion into receptors. when this occurs in the nucleus accumbens, it leads to the neurons being less reactive and hence more sensitive to further decreases in reactivity produced by dopamine. note that decreased reactivity in the nucleus accumbens is what research is currently believed to be a major reward signal.

i’ve learnt so much more about Delta FOSB recently and I have a completely different view on it now. i’ve discovered that Delta FOSB is a powerful reward sensitiser and stress resilience factor when expressed in the nucleus accumbens. It promote/ enhances reward bye directing the increased creation and insertion of GLUR2 subunits in to the AMPA receptor complexes, making them less calcium permeable and decreasing overall nucleus accumbens reactivity. This enhances sensitivity to both natural and drug rewards and likely contributes to the overall antidepressant effect. but there’s another major unrelated yet complimentary mechanism, for The anti-anhedonic and stress/depression fighting affects of Delta FOSB. it has been shown to downregulate the synthesis and release of dynnorphin. as most of us probably already know, dynnorphin is the neuropeptide responsible for stress induced despair and depression behaviours and works to counter and suppress the reward system. having less of it around Will surely enhance reward and decrease stress.
Please, someone correct me if I’m wrong, and let me know if I’m being an idiot for this, but I honestly swear if I had the chance to take some special supplement or have a safe procedure to massively increase Delta FOSB in my nucleus accumbens, I would definitely do it. someone might mention cocaine, the problem is cocaine isn’t really linked to stress resilience because, despite massively increasing Delta FOSB levels in the brain, beneficial effects are probably offset bye the negative effects of cocaine on other areas of the brain. nevertheless, I’ve read that dynnorphin accumulation after heavy cocaine use is short lived and is replaced by Delta FOSB. this might sound a bit crazy, but does anyone that has used cocaine Think they could feel the effects of Delta FOSB accumulating in the brain over time.

just to briefly explain why I want to increase Delta FOSB because I know it sounds very strange. Basically, last year I suffered a very serious case of anhedonia that lasted a few months and it terrified me. I’ve been chronically stressed for a very long time but this still took me by surprise. of course, as I mentioned in my previous post, Delta FOSB fights against anhedonia, stress, depression and anxiety and in animals over expressing this transcription factor, it was difficult if not impossible to get them to show depression/despair behaviours, even after long periods of chronic environmental, physical, psychological/social and isolation stress. but there’s something else, Delta FOSB also suppresses risk aversion and the perception of risk itself. this is directly relevant to my personality as I’m not only lazy and anxious, but also lack confidence, and really don’t like taking risks, even small ones. I fully understand why people think Delta FOSB is bad and want to reduce it, especially in the context of addiction, but I hope you can understand why I wish for a massive increase of it in my brain, especially my nucleus accumbens. i’ll post some links supporting my view, But please everyone let me know what you think and feel free to share your thoughts or reservations.

It's really really hard to drug transcription factors directly.

There was a time lots of companies were trying to make inhibitors of c-myc to treat cancers. They had to resort to things like protacs to artificially break down the molecule, as there are very few binding sites, and even worse, very few that inhibit function.

I expect delta fos b to be similarly difficult to target, and it is easier to remove a protein than to produce more of it.

I also would worry that there would be quite a few side effects beyond reward circuitry. Transcription factors get reused in so many processes that they don't make good targets for global manipulation.

It's really really hard to drug transcription factors directly.

There was a time lots of companies were trying to make inhibitors of c-myc to treat cancers. They had to resort to things like protacs to artificially break down the molecule, as there are very few binding sites, and even worse, very few that inhibit function.

I expect delta fos b to be similarly difficult to target, and it is easier to remove a protein than to produce more of it.

I also would worry that there would be quite a few side effects beyond reward circuitry. Transcription factors get reused in so many processes that they don't make good targets for global manipulation.

Yes, you’re right about the difficulty of drugging transcription factors, but with Delta FOSB it seems easy to induce by elevating dopamine or directly activating CREBP signalling through some other receptors. other promising avenues include inhibition of G9A for which inhibitors are being developed for treatment of cancer and cognitive impairment or possibly, magnetic brain stimulation of certain brain regions. The thing is, my goal of increasing delta FOSB hasn’t really been researched as scientists are actually looking for the exact opposite, that is, a method of blocking/reducing it. i’ve been lately considering moderate to high dose selegiline, as the admittedly tiny number of reports I have found about it claim it is a powerful enhancer of motivation, mental energy and general drive which, unlike the amphetamines does not wear off. i’ve heard it can cause impulsive reward seeking, decreased anxiety and dramatic hypersexuality which are problematic in Parkinson’s disease, but given my current state I think these effects will be much needed additional benefits.

Here are some studies that explain why I want more Delta FOSB in my brain: