• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Pulmonary Talcosis from IV abuse of oral medications. How much is too much?

a) filtering pills with cotton is nowhere near safe. Lots of harmful insoluble particles can get into the solution. You need to use a micron filter to make it even remotely safe.
b) shooting pills is incredibly dangerous. Just because they are pharma-grade drugs, doesnt mean they are safe for injection.
Far from it. Shooting pills is extremely risky behaviour - people lose limbs (and worse) doing that.

Please don't spread misinformation on bluelight.
We exist to educate people on harm reduction practices. If you're not sure about something, please don't state it as fact.
Saying "shooting pills (from pharmacy) is a hell of a lot safer than street drugs cut with god knows what" - simply isn't true, and leads me to assume that you are trolling.
I understood that quote to mean that it is safer injecting known substances than unknown substances. At least one can make an informed decision in that regard. No one is going to argue that IV drugs are safe. I think the point here is that injecting identified substances in measurable concentrations is the lesser of two evils and safer in comparison. The action is unsafe all around but there are ways to minimizing risk such as aseptic technique, using appropriate and unused rigs/filters, and so on. If a person is allergic to some common cut/binder they can't easily determine that from a baggie but they can read what a pill is constructed of from it's manufacturing info. To me it is safer in that regard.

True - if all those things are done correctly, i don't disagree with you. And we're trying to minimise risk, not completely eliminate it, because that would be an impossible task.
Unfortunately a lot of drug users i know arent even aware of the existence of micron filters.

And unlike street drugs, where there may be a there may be a particularly harmful cut in there, pretty much every pill is dangerous to shoot because of various pill material and binders, if not carefully filtered.

Thw way i read the post, "you filtered the pills, then why did you have problems?" needed addressing.

In other words, the OP didn't filter the pills properly, which may account for his respiratory troubles.
But either way, you should go see a doctor man.
We can't diagnose you, and breathing problems can be pretty serious. I hope you're doing better, but either way - it would be a good idea to get it looked at...

Pharms are safe in the sense that the dose is known, and you can expect high standards of quality control.
Simply filtering with cotton and injecting pills is a really dangerous practice - that's all i'm trying to say.

I'm not sure when strity1994 is being sincere, so i may have interpreted differently to you guys.

Last edited:
How much does it actually cost to go to ER in the U.S. As it seems to prevent people from going there even if there are real symptoms?

I've seen it all over here in BL that people don't want to go to ER or call an ambulance for someone for some reason and most often these reasons are the cost of going in there, getting something drug related written to the documents or that their parents find out in case of minors.

WTF! If you have life threatening symptoms go get them checked out.

P.S. Is it actually possible that the hospital denies treatment because patient cant pay?

^ I don't think their hospitals can turn people away but I don't know. It's disgusting the way sick people are treated just south of the boarder. I've often heard of Americans coming to Canada to fill prescriptions and to see doctors. A non Canadican only has to pay around $100 for a doctors visit.
Ive also read that people need a prescription for clean needles, isn't that awful? Mr Root we are both lucky to be born where we were

Thanks spacejunk on the clarity and I couldn't agree more! Even in the most ideal of settings, IV is still a dangerous ROA, even in a hospital done by a medical professional. As far as the hospital questions go-anyone who goes into the ER is required to be treated regardless of their ability to pay or not (not true with urgent cares, just ERs). It's posted on the wall as you enter a facility. Even if you are discharged and turn around and walk back in the door. There is also a patient's bill of rights that specify the kind of treatment a patient deserves and is entitled to. Now, granted, "reasonable" care and how each person defines that is a variable as each person is. Some would consider a prescription for Tylenol adequate for pain while others may prescribe both Percocet and Valium for the very same complaint. Also "respect" and "timely" may mean hustling someone through and out the door in a brief time with a curt tone under the implication of the patent being a drug seeking dope fiend while others may run the gamut of tests and "yes ma'am, no ma'am" their way through with extensive evaluation and impeccable bedside manner. For those who lack insurance, Medicaid, Medicare, workers comp, COBRA, etc then a trip for something as simple as a paper cut and bandaid can run thousands out of pocket. Some will help you apply for coverage if you lack insurance. The rest can typically go into a payment plan but across the board it is anything but reasonably affordable. If a person is having an emergency then money should not even be a consideration-get seen immediately! One tip that can help is to ge a housemate or neighbor to drive (unless the condition is severe enough that they need medical intervention on the way) as ambulance fees are also very expensive so you may be able to defray some of the cost. Also keeping up a good dialogue with the doctor and considering doing diagnostic tests one by one or doing the basics and managing symptoms until you can get in to see your PCP if it can safely be done is another option. Hospital costs are generally more expensive than even what you can buy over the counter. For the example if the prescription your doctor at the ER writes is in fact for Tylenol and you lack insurance than buying it OTC is no doubt way more affordable than the same dose bought from behind the counter at the pharmacy. As far as parents being informed, that I'm not 100% on because there is the whole doctor:patient confidentiality agreement and I believe even in cases of pregnancy the parent cannot be informed. My guess would be the same for other conditions as well but I can't say for certain. I'm sure though even if they can't legally inform the parents that they encourage the under age patient with he importance of divulging such info for their own safety and wellbeing.

How much does it actually cost to go to ER in the U.S. As it seems to prevent people from going there even if there are real symptoms?

I've seen it all over here in BL that people don't want to go to ER or call an ambulance for someone for some reason and most often these reasons are the cost of going in there, getting something drug related written to the documents or that their parents find out in case of minors.

WTF! If you have life threatening symptoms go get them checked out

P.S. Is it actually possible that the hospital denies treatment because patient cant pay?

Its not so much about the money when you go to the er you have to tell them the truth and be labeled as a drug addict. I have shot atleast 500 pill's it's weird some people get complications so fast. There is a real good junkie life lesson here everyone is different and you can shoot unfiltered subutex and be fine or do it a couple times and get talcosis or wrose.

Hope you're feeling better OP.

I had troubles back in May snorting hydromorph contin for the first time, felt like I couldn't get as much oxygen when breathing. Took a couple weeks to finally feel back to normal, I had to use a puffer (ventolin) every now and then. Was also given oral corticosteroids for a few days.

The microcrystalline cellulose (talc) in these pills can really clog you up, see the pictures in the below study:

Pulmonary Effects of IV Injection of Crushed Oral Tablets: Excipient Lung Disease
http://www.ajronline.org/doi/full/10.2214/AJR.14.12582