Mental Health PTSD from Psych ward stay

That sounds VERY very similar to my time in the psych ward. Extremely disturbing, I had multiple panic attacks listening to all the random screaming and hearing the security guards tackle them to the ground and doctors having to give midazolam shots and stuff like that. Random screaming down the halls at 3am. Seeing patients after they've just had ECT, zombified *shudders*
During my first hospitalization I too was traumatized by these instances. During subsequent stays I just came to accept the fact that these individuals were not well and there was nothing I could do about it. Sometimes I would laugh at people, not in a mean way, but there were some people there you just had to laugh at (they usually would laugh along with you, too). For instance, the older lady who went bananas one day tearing up magazines and praising Donald Trump, she was pretty funny. “Trump won! TRUMP WON! TRUMP WONNNN!!!” - I had to shake my head and laugh…

I hate to say it, but you sort of get used to Psych wards after your first hospitalization. The first time you're ever in a Psych ward is the worst.

Last edited:
The Psych wards I've been in (US) have had planned events throughout the day. You get to go to the gym, you get to exercise, you get to go to anger management / substance abuse / coping skills classes, you get to go outside, you get to like, do stuff. I can't imagine just sitting there all day? How are you supposed to get better?
How I know it is the worse the condition of the average inmate, the less activities were offered. While a ward for voluntary anxiety patients will be shiny polished, you'll be greeted, choose your food, get maybe a single room etc. and you'll have a bunch of activities either fixed or selectable, besides of course the ability to leave the ward and to cancel if you decide so, things are a bit different for those who are forced to stay there (and it's pretty easy to be switched from the first to this group). In the university clinic of Jena, Germany was no distraction at all, no books, TV only from 5-9 pm, no exercise room, no walking, and if you wanted something they told you to shut up and let them eat/smoke/have fun because they let you too sit around the time before. Yeah, taking the meds is elementary in those wards, only in the addiction ward of Zuerich (they kick you out after 5-6 weeks because of insurance stuff even if you don't have a place to go, this is a real downside - when I was there two ex-patients camped in the local forest, but otherwise it's among the only places which I could actually recommend) you are free to deny each and any med and the docs don't hesitate to give you the nice stuff (opiates and stims; even Xyrem/GHB titration is offered) if you want it. But when you're on a psychosis or acute station denying the meds is usually a ticket for more of them and possibly by injection, and/or isolation for to torture you rethink your behavior.

Some of the people I saw were seriously and definitely over-medicamented, could barely walk and. slept 23h/day, some had to be forced to shower or eat and according to the majority of sleepy patients again no distraction offered besides one PC for like 18 people and TV in the evenings. At least I was free to go walking if I wanted (limited to 1h/day though). Food was always low quality stuff and I was surprised how good the food was when once I had to spend two days in a regular hospital. They had fresh chicken and vegetables etc. like in a restaurant but in psych ward the food was probably worse than in jail. Hmm, similar when I remember what I got there. They made a competition about the job of supplying food to the ward and selected the cheapest offer (like 2.50$/patient and day if I'm correct). Also the stuff in the wards, from the books over plants to the kitchen's stuff and tables and chairs, most was old and very used. Internet is still a rarity if you don't have a smartphone, and in one place they confiscated the charger of my laptop because one could strangulate himself with it. E-cig wasn't allowed either because of possible drugs in the liquid (I wonder why nobody checks brought-in cigarettes for drugs) but this changes, last time I saw people vaping.

Under the line it's against human rights if you ask me, and specially the nurses and doctors contribute their own bit, out of all the countless nurses I experienced there is exactly one which I remember truly positively and last time she didn't work there anymore, don't know if she or they decided her to leave. The majority is pretty stressed out and some overworked and most pass their mood on to the inpatients. Somehow I found it very irritating when they laughed open- and loudly in their office but reacted negatively to a legitime demand like said charger or to open the door etc. Some doctors, fresh from the university, see the ward as a possibility to experiment with various medicinal cocktails while other use them to experience power and superiority.

Last edited:
How I know it is the worse the average inmate, the less activities were offered. While a ward for voluntary anxiety patients will be shiny polished, you'll be greeted, choose your food, get maybe a single room etc. and you'll have a bunch of activities either fixed or selectable, besides of course the ability to leave the ward and to cancel if you decide so, things are a bit different for those who are forced to stay there (and it's pretty easy to be switched from the first to this group). In the university clinic of Jena, Germany was no distraction at all, no books, TV only from 5-9 pm, no exercise room, no walking, and if you wanted something they told you to shut up and let them eat/smoke/have fun because they let you too sit around the time before. Yeah, taking the meds is elementary in those wards, only in the addiction ward of Zuerich (they kick you out after 5-6 weeks because of insurance stuff even if you don't have a place to go, this is a real downside - when I was there two ex-patients camped in the local forest, but otherwise it's among the only places which I could actually recommend) you are free to deny each and any med and the docs don't hesitate to give you the nice stuff (opiates and stims; even Xyrem/GHB titration is offered) if you want it. But when you're on a psychosis or acute station denying the meds is usually a ticket for more of them and possibly by injection, and/or isolation for to torture you rethink your behavior.

Some of the people I saw were seriously and definitely over-medicamented, could barely walk and. slept 23h/day, some had to be forced to shower or eat and according to the majority of sleepy patients again no distraction offered besides one PC for like 18 people and TV in the evenings. At least I was free to go walking if I wanted (limited to 1h/day though). Food was always low quality stuff and I was surprised how good the food was when once I had to spend two days in a regular hospital. They had fresh chicken and vegetables etc. like in a restaurant but in psych ward the food was probably worse than in jail. Hmm, similar when I remember what I got there. They made a competition about the job of supplying food to the ward and selected the cheapest offer (like 2.50$/patient and day if I'm correct). Also the stuff in the wards, from the books over plants to the kitchen's stuff and tables and chairs, most was old and very used. Internet is still a rarity if you don't have a smartphone, and in one place they confiscated the charger of my laptop because one could strangulate himself with it. E-cig wasn't allowed either because of possible drugs in the liquid (I wonder why nobody checks brought-in cigarettes for drugs) but this changes, last time I saw people vaping.

Under the line it's against human rights if you ask me, and specially the nurses and doctors contribute their own bit, out of all the countless nurses I experienced there is exactly one which I remember truly positively and last time she didn't work there anymore, don't know if she or they decided her to leave. The majority is pretty stressed out and some overworked and most pass their mood on to the inpatients. Somehow I found it very irritating when they laughed open- and loudly in their office but reacted negatively to a legitime demand like said charger or to open the door etc. Some doctors, fresh from the university, see the ward as a possibility to experiment with various medicinal cocktails while other use them to experience power and superiority.
All the wards I've stayed on have been comprised of 90% involuntary patients (myself included). I think they do things a little bit differently here in the States? I've never heard of isolation, unless you attack a staff member. Isolation for simply not taking your meds? Unheard of. That's cruel and unusual punishment.

Here in the States you have the option to refuse Meds, and unless you act severely out of line and/or attack staff they're not going to force you to take them. That said, good luck getting out without doing so.

As far as books / reading materials, some have them, some don't. Internet? almost never. In the States we have HIPPA Laws which prohibit you from possessing a cell phone because it has a camera (they don't want you taking pictures of other patients - it's against the law). One of the wards I stayed in provided each patient a tablet to surf the internet, which I thought was a nice gesture. Another (State) ward provided each patient a radio and headphones.

In regards to the food, two of the three wards I've been on had exceptional food (for a Hospital). In fact the food was so good you'd usually see people lining up for seconds, especially on meatloaf night. Fresh cooked eggs / sausage / french toast were common for breakfeast, bbq pulled pork sandwiches and the like for lunch, meatloaf & mashed potatoes ETC for dinner.

From the sound of things it would appear some Countries treat their patients as prisoners, and that's really, really sad. Definitely not my experience here in the States.

Last edited:
All the wards I've stayed on have been comprised of 90% involuntary patients (myself included). I think they do things a little bit differently here in the States? I've never heard of isolation, unless you attack a staff member. Isolation for simply not taking your meds? Unheard of. That's cruel and unusual punishment.

Here in the States you have the option to refuse Meds, and unless you act severely out of line and/or attack staff they're not going to force you to take them. That said, good luck getting out without doing so.

As far as books / reading materials, some have them, some don't. Internet? almost never. In the States we have HIPPA Laws which prohibit you from possessing a cell phone because it has a camera (they don't want you taking pictures of other patients - it's against the law). One of the wards I stayed in provided each patient a tablet to surf the internet, which I thought was a nice gesture. Another (State) ward provided each patient a radio and headphones.

In regards to the food, two of the three wards I've been on had exceptional food (for a Hospital). In fact the food was so good you'd usually see people lining up for seconds, especially on meatloaf night. Fresh cooked eggs / sausage / french toast were common for breakfeast, bbq pulled pork sandwiches and the like for lunch, meatloaf & mashed potatoes ETC for dinner.

From the sound of things it would appear some Countries treat their patients as prisoners, and that's really, really sad. Definitely not my experience here in the States.
While I agree with a lot of what you have to say, I don't think all mental hospitals in the States are the same. At least when I was committed to a state hospital, I had a judge send down an order that I had to receive Risperidone injections. So no, I did not have the option to refuse that med. I didn't attack anyone.

And I've never stayed in a hospital that served fresh eggs. lol. After having worked in a nursing home kitchen, I know what they are serving. The pre-scrambled concoction comes frozen in a big plastic bag and they place the bag in boiling water to heat the "eggs" up. Once hot, they cut the bag open and dump it in a pan. Voila! Bust out an ice cream scoop and breakfast is served.

A judge selecting meds. Hooray. But I know they do, I knew somebody with an involuntary and infinite script of seroquel, he wasn't in a ward and had no chance but to take the med, they did random urine samples to check for.

Where on gods earth where you at if you don't mind me asking? I've been in 3 different Psych wards and have never experienced anything close to what you're describing.

All i was in there for was having a psychotic break that turned out to be Cotards syndrome (google it). \the first time i was a doctor i punched him out on the floor for whatever reason and got hauled off by security so ya i was violent from the get go. When i got out i decided to act like a good buy and just get my meds and chill but the nurse said no meds so i decided to punch out a male nurse that was there in relation. I was hauled off by 4 security guards again and thrown in isolation, So ya thats how my stay went pretty much.

Yeah, psych ward fucked me up too, besides that they first gave me up to 3mg/d of lorazepam for 3 months and then put me off cold turkey without warning, the isolation indeed is the fucking worst. It's plain torture when they let you in there for longer - thankfully I was never in more than a day but time just hangs there and doesn't pass. They should give you at least a book or have some television etc. to be left alone without nothing is so bad. We had screamers too, I was in different wards, never the psychotic one but it was next to that and every single hour was alarm and all the nurses and security guards ran in there. The ward above was for heavy withdrawals and I guess they just threw people in isolation because they were screaming all day and night ... also these shitty antipsychotics kill the brain's ability to heal itself if you ask me, I never took them for longer but was forced to take some while in wards and I'd say they contributed to PTSD. I couldn't sleep for months, always just with some TV on or lights on etc. it's soo worse when the place which is intended to "heal" you damages you further. I was scared shitless and always afraid of needing another stay. Altogether I was in for maybe 2 years, mostly on acceptable open wards but also like 4-5 months on acute, closed wards ... also mostly just waiting for a place in the open ward, I quickly learned how to behave for not to get tortured by them but it's bad enough to be there and watch how they treat you and others.. and on risperidone which they injected me I got a full on psychotic break, don't remember 9 complete days and got a diagnosis of antisocial disorder.

Oh, and psych wards are the same all over the world. Switzerland is quite modern in some aspects, they try to open the wards as much as possible and don't do cold turkey in most cases but you still find examples of the same bad old stuff.. I know from Mexico that it's the same and you say Australia too, fuck that. I know of a case where somebody is in isolation for months without any distraction.

Isolation is torture and has been ruled as such by the UN. They could atleast put you in a room with a window instead oh a 8 by 8 room with a blue mattress in it and nothing else. I find it personally disgusting that a place thats supposed to heal you in fact punishes you. Where the fuck is the so called treatments? How is meeting some quack once every few days and visiting a Psychologist who cant do anything without the quacks approval supposed to help? How is being hauled away by 4 security guards being held down against your will and injected supposed to help your mental health

Also i am pretty sure hauling someone off 6mg's of clonazepam 150mg's of morphine, 900mg's of gabapentin and 300mg's of Seroquel is considered torture as well. If not it should be cause i could have died in there.
=
That sounds VERY very similar to my time in the psych ward. Extremely disturbing, I had multiple panic attacks listening to all the random screaming and hearing the security guards tackle them to the ground and doctors having to give midazolam shots and stuff like that. Random screaming down the halls at 3am. Seeing patients after they've just had ECT, zombified *shudders*

The screamers are horrible arent they? They gave me panic attacks to

That first line is so true. I only had one 72 hour stay in my life and when I left I never repeated the behavior that got me in there. Shit was an eye opener and luckily it was due to a one time incident and not serious mental health issues. There certainly was no weed but I saw some patients getting outside food from their families. I said no sir, yes sir, did all the therapy, ate the food and pretended to sleep. The Dr. said okay run along little girl and straighten the fuck up. I said yes sir and did so. Real eye opener that stay was.

I found a sure fire way out of psych wards now thanks to my friend. Just go on hunger strike like my friend. It worked so well other people started copying from her. Remember itr's a hospital not a prison (though the difference between the 2 only exists on paper) so they can't keep you there if your starving

The Psych wards I've been in (US) have had planned events throughout the day. You get to go to the gym, you get to exercise, you get to go to anger management / substance abuse / coping skills classes, you get to go outside, you get to like, do stuff. I can't imagine just sitting there all day? How are you supposed to get better?

Was it a private one?

It's torture in its finest. In Europe these rooms tend to have windows but that doesn't really make it up. You nailed it about the places which are supposed to heal that are punishing us. It's just like getting knocked out and realizing, yeah, I am weak and have to comply.

It's torture in its finest. In Europe these rooms tend to have windows but that doesn't really make it up. You nailed it about the places which are supposed to heal that are punishing us. It's just like getting knocked out and realizing, yeah, I am weak and have to comply.
e
I think it's sick that these people are called nurses. They are fucking sadists in my book. Their only goddamn job is to dispense medications and they act like there doing you a favour my doing that. They wouldnt even get me loperamide when i was dying of withdrawals ffs or even my Asthma inhaler

I spent a weekend in jail once and i was actually treated better. The cops gave me all my meds including Oxycodone and Clonazepam even though i was loaded drunk lol. So that was far easier.

I spend 14 days in isolation ... out of protest i didn't eat for 14 days and didn't drink for 7 days straight, they thought i was catatonic which was absolute BS i simply didn't want to engage them . i'm convinced i still got brain damage from not drinking enough

fuck psychiatry man .. now i'm out of the clinic on invega its much worse .. invega injections are the worst thing ever this shit seems ongoing and drawm out .. i want to fucknig trip on a giant heap of mushrooms

Last edited:
So 2 years ago i had a complete Psychotic breakdown. I eventually ended up in the local Psych ward and let's say i had a hard time adjusting to it. On my first night there i knocked out a doctor for no reason i can remember so my stay there got off to a rocky start. I was thrown in isolation for what felt like days but couldn't have been longer then one day at most i think. Your sense of time in isolation goes out the window. I was also given a Ativan injection in the ass while being held down by 4 security guards and a nurse. Ativan injections sting worse in the ass then in the thigh (the way i IMED them) so needless to say the injection only pissed me off more. Plus with my benzo tolerance ativan did fuck all. As soon as i was let out of isolation i promptly punched the first security guard i saw in the face and got thrown in there again for a unknown part of time. This time when i got out i refrained from punching mainly cause i needed my meds. In total i got thrown in isolation 6 times but it could have ben more my memory is fucked from my time in there.

I get up to the nurses station and no meds for you today sir. As it turns out my shrink decided i did not need my morphine, clonazepam or even Seroquel! What shrink takes someone off Seroquel id like to know. At this point i start to get real pissed and punch a male nurse in the face. After some struggle with security i get carted off to another stay in isolation. For anyone who's interested isolation fucking is the worst. I can't imagine spending 14 days in there or more like they do in prison.

Even worse then the isolation maybe was the screaming on the ward. Some people scream at themselves (this was a ward with mostly psychotics and bipolar people on it) and people scream when they get hauled off by security from causing a disturbance (which can be anything from telling a nurse to fuck off to fighting) to refusing to take your meds. Every night id hear some poor guy refuse to take his meds and get hauled away to isolation.

Between all this i had to deal with months of cold turkey withdrawal from 6mg's of Clonazepam a day and 150mg's of Morphine a day. I received no meds for withdrawal not even Loperamide or Ibuprofen. How i didnt have a seizure ill never know. It's the worst thing i have ever ben through so far and ive been through bad shit before.

When i got out my shrink said it sounded like i got PTSD from what he told me. Right now im taking Zopiclone, Clonazepam and lotsa weed for it. It helps but not always.

My question is does anyone else have PTSD from a Psych ward stay? And any help in how to get over it would be great. Thanks
Omg thank you. I went in forced by the court under Marchman act to detox. Except I’m a tough bastard and detox to me is nothing. I’m used to feeling like shit normally.

i went, and noticed the shit on the tv looked different depending on the height and angle you watched from. Also, noice in the background too loud for the few there. Whispers, etc. Shook my head and moved on.

then, it gets weird. Masks. The whole staff. Some old man found a puppet show for. 20 year old girls confidence. He looked fake as fuck. And you could tell in the eyes, same dude as other characters. Feeding her chocolate for endorphinsz

noticed I went to bed and little sensors on the ceiling blinked green when you opened your eyes. And the came vitals. Every time. My roommates were GONE in middle of the night when I tapped them, just sheets and pillows. It sounded and felt like they enter and exit below the beds. I later saw 2 were twins together talking, one on days one night. They were fucking employees!!!

you need this med or that med. I’d take it, go back the next day, they’d act like i was crazy. I never had anything prescribed they said. BULLSHIT!!!!

finally I got transported to higher security whacko ward and I finally snapped. They got an 18 gauge needle in my arm and no tube as I bled out. All over my shirt. They called my name whispering and at the desk said I was imagining it. Then I get to an er that was enpty except a nurse, and a guy who stole my identity and made fake cc card clones, and was info from the mob about CC numbers for 490,000 people on a laptop he stole. Screaming, he was getting some kind of torture. Fuck this I shoulders the doors open took down some Cops and paramedics like bowling pins, and ran a mile into tow where I knowcked on a door and had em call the cops and realized the cops were part of it. They take me back and long story short I saw Jewish guys in Benz’s outside the hospital, all over. Get inside and the nurse suggested I drink an alpha blocker overdose (what is it anyways????) for it to be painless. So I thought of my family cuz I heard em talking about them being next, and I chugged it and the guy I knew took hit out of his hand and chugged it. Woke up hours later. More people I knew there. I shut my mouth, ignored them, and demanded release next day or I was gonna fight every one of them til none were left to stop me. They discharged me. I protected me mom every second for weeks. Heard voices 7 weeks, believed I was on a show being punked because, Why???? I’m nobody. What motivation? It had to be a FORTUNE. My 104 page report started stable and ended detoxed but paranoid psychotic. I don’t talk much about this. But it was real. 100%. True. And it fucked me up worse.

this shit

Last edited:
This horrible experience that OP has is my brother's biggest fear and mine for him. During and after weaning off amphetamines last year he developed what I think is severe CPTSD and non-restorative sleep. He also has other sleep disorders but not getting enough sleep is killing him.

Also, since then he is intolerant of any sedatives especially anty psychotics even in baby doses. So he can't use them to help his issues.

Due to chronic lack of sleep and huge fears he has many problems but the scary one is rage. Very serious rage. He went to the psych ward voluntarily but after 12 days he left because it was more difficult to sleep there.

Since nothing is helping and fear and rage is growing we fear he might end up in psych ICU. Knowing him and how weak he is emotional, he wouldn't survive a day in there.

I'm trying to get him psychotherapy but he needs something to stabilize him first. There are a few anti-depressants that do not make him feel worse but they don't help either. We as a family lie in a fear day by day.

I'm sorry you had such a horrid experience. My experience was not that bad, thankfully. However, it did leave me worse off than before and now with a seething hatred for treatment, recovery, mental health'care' 'professionals', and authority figures (moreso than I already disliked authority figures previously, anyhow) on top. I now avoid the above like the plague - being sectioned is amongst my worst nightmares, both waking and asleep. The only reason I am in a course of therapy at the moment is because I am being paid to do it (as part of a clinical trial).

I do not fear death, heights, snakes, enclosed spaces, or crowds. I am terrified of being locked up and treated like an animal and an infant. With no input or say in any matter and any scrap of humanity, individuality, dignity, or desire to live I may have once had now scoured down to nothing. No intellectual stimulation or tangible goal to work towards other than get through another forcibly medicated day of psychobabble trapped behind bars covering opaque window 'glass'. No healthy or tasteful nutrition, no exercise or creative outlet or building any sort of 'life worth living' - how can they think anyone would want to live, given the conditions they subject people to? - or sunshine or fresh air or human contact or music. They ought to try going months without a cuddle and see how they get along after they're released. Oh, now they have hypersexual disorder, how silly. Time for another quick imprisonment to sort that one out or perhaps some fiddling about with the brain chemicals with substances that corporations and the government profit off one's taking.

I've not found anything that has solved or seems like it has the potential to solve my feelings towards the aforementioned entities. Apologies, I'm here only to commiserate and not to bring any useful insight.

This is imho was most people try and do, and what doctors count as therapeutic success but it's just avoidance. I also believe that most of the success with antipsychotics is instead people not wanting to get more of the dysphoric hell these medicines induce ...
I wish I could like this a hundred times over. My own experience (as well as observation of and personal correspondence with dozens of others) supports your statement.

@Op You certainly like to punch people, don't ya 🙂
People who deny my drugs and take my freedom away fuck yes ill fight them all goddamn day. Despite getting thrown in solitary i don't regret fighting them. Fuck them.

And yeah i only punched staff. I found most patients in there pretty cool actually and made a few friends in there. The guy from Rwanda who always gave me weed was fucking awesome.